Teddy's speech before round 10

spiderRico

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
"your body will come back to you if you tell it to come back to you, MAKE IT come back to you"

Gvosdyk didn't take the advice.

Not sure what Gvozdyk was supposed to get from that. Barely intelligible advice.

Embarrassing advice. Everyone was waiting for some Al Pacino speech and all we got was some snake oil sails men, televangelist nonsense. How about? Keep your distance and away from those body shots, can't keep taking them, counter them with the right hand. Hit and hold turn him so he doesn't have a chance to get off? Asking for your body to come back is retarded. If he had been badly hurt to the head early would Teddy have told him to tell his brain to come back to him?

"This is like being at the zoo, looking for the lion. You haven't seen it, but you don't have to because just when you're rounding the corner...ROAR....that's the lion. That's the mother fucking king of the jungle. Now let's go meet that lion goddamnit!"

Teddy's speech should be "you clearly have nothing left, I'm going to stop this because you get blown out"

Embarrassing advice. Everyone was waiting for some Al Pacino speech and all we got was some snake oil sails men, televangelist nonsense. How about? Keep your distance and away from those body shots, can't keep taking them, counter them with the right hand. Hit and hold turn him so he doesn't have a chance to get off? Asking for your body to come back is retarded. If he had been badly hurt to the head early would Teddy have told him to tell his brain to come back to him?
There were no magic words at that point. He tried his best for a movie magic motivational speech and it didn’t work but I don’t think it’s worthy of derision.

There were no magic words at that point. He tried his best for a movie magic motivational speech and it didn’t work but I don’t think it’s worthy of derision.

I have to disagree. When your fighter is getting broken down and beaten up, I have no problem with pulling out the "Might Ducks Speech" to ignight their fighting spirit. However, the focus should be on strategies to get them out of the predicament they are in. Asking Gvozdyk to have dialougue with his body gave him no insight as to how to deal with the body shots, that were setting up the right hands up top. Teddy essentially stranded Gvzdyk on an Island with a starving lion and gave him a horrible self help statement to help him with cope with the situation.

Last edited:
I have to disagree. When your fighter is getting broken down and beaten up, I have no problem with pulling out the "Might Ducks Speech" to ignight their fighting spirit. However, the focus should be on strategies to get them out of the predicament they are in. Asking Gvozdyk to have dialougue with his body gave him no insight as to how to deal with the body shots, that were sending up the right hands up top. Teddy essentially stranded Gvzdyk on an Island with a starving lion and gave him a horrible self help statement to help him with cope with the situation.
he told him to stay out of range before beginning his offense and gave him other technical advice earlier in the fight when he was actually in the fight. When he did his dig deep type speech literally everyone knew he was done, including the two of them. Just check out how many people called the fight not going the distance in this thread.

Fair
he told him to stay out of range before beginning his offense and gave him other technical advice earlier in the fight when he was actually in the fight. When he did his dig deep type speech literally everyone knew he was done, including the two of them. Just check out how many people called the fight not going the distance in this thread.

Fair point. But if your pulling out the speech usually that is because you think your fighter has something left to give or can possibly turn it around. I think that's what Teddy believed and that was his last ditch effort, but he just did not add any strategies with his motivation speech which I think was off. But.... If your right and Teddy honestly believed that Gvozdyk was done, especially against a fighter like Beterbiev, then he should have thrown the towel in.

Fair

Fair point. But if your pulling out the speech usually that is because you think your fighter has something left to give or can possibly turn it around. I think that's what Teddy believed and that was his last ditch effort, but he just did not add any strategies with his motivation speech which I think was off. But.... If your right and Teddy honestly believed that Gvozdyk was done, especially against a fighter like Beterbiev, then he should have thrown the towel in.
I get you, definitely. I think most peeps will say though that when you’re a world champion of a reputable org, you’ve earned the right to try until the bitter end unless you’re obviously neurotically damaged or something like that. Plus they can wait and see and throw in the towel mid round if things are looking horrible.

I don’t think things looked throw the towel in bad until Ozmudyk was taking his three knees in quick succession but I think that reluctance could be a valid criticism of Atlas in certain fights. Let’s face it- he’s a pretty hateable guy. His appearance on the JRE could be used to teach budding psychologists about narcissism.

absolute nonsense. just teddy trying to get put in another “memorable corner advice” compilation on youtube.

Nothing beats Roach giving Toney THE speech before 12th round vs Jirov.

Epic! And one of the best moments in boxing history with the following round.

Gvozdyk should taken his advice after round 1

"take it easy, its a 12 round fight"

Nothing beats Roach giving Toney THE speech before 12th round vs Jirov.

Epic! And one of the best moments in boxing history with the following round.

What a fight that was! Taking out the reigning cruiserweight champ and olympic gold medalist like that

In response to his fighter telling him "My body's gone"... wtf is he supposed to say?
I mean, sure, turn this into a track meet for a round or two, but he wasn't trying to get him to finish, he ws trying to get him to win.

In response to his fighter telling him "My body's gone"... wtf is he supposed to say?
I mean, sure, turn this into a track meet for a round or two, but he wasn't trying to get him to finish, he ws trying to get him to win.
i think an inkling of technical advice would have helped. maybe some tips on holes in artur’s footwork? a punch to look for based on artur’s tendencies? i mean literally anything but “stop being hurt”

i think an inkling of technical advice would have helped. maybe some tips on holes in artur’s footwork? a punch to look for based on artur’s tendencies? i mean literally anything but “stop being hurt”

Fair enough, but that should have been looked after long before the fight took place since Beterbiev wasn't doing anything that he hasn't always done... it wasn't like his movement was a surprize right?

I already answered your question. He should be offering specific ways to get his offense off while minimizing body shot damage. Hit and hold. Pot shot and turn. counter the body shots to keep him honest. Stay off the ropes, no more than three punch combinations to conserve energy. Telling him to talk to his body meaninglessly addresses only the symptom of the problem, and motivation and that just does not cut it at that level of a boxing match.

Back