techniques for a newbie vs experienced fighters

VegasFighter**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In my gym, i wind up rolling with guys like, Frank Mir, and Heath Herring. Not only do they train there, but alot of other quality "known" fighters train there as well. I train there because I heard its the best, but damn, i get gassed out in no time, and I wonder how much i'm learning training with guys that own me in like 15 seconds.

1st of all, i have no jiu-jitsu training prior, and all my fights were in ice hockey.

any tips?? increasing my energy, gas??

well, i don't think any tips will help you while you're on the mat with frank or heath. :p

sounds like the other guys are just way, way more experienced than you. keep rolling and you'll get better.

Learn some technique and get fit before spending too much time trying best these guys during rolling.

Is Frank Mir actually training still?

Looking for something to make you better, or at least able to hang with them?

PM me....maybe you could trade a cow for some of my magic beans.

Training with the best or toughest guys around isn't necessarily a good way to train if you are a beginner. You need to be training with guys at various levels of skill, better, worse (if there is such a person), etc. Rolling with outher white belts can also give you encouragement that you're doing something right.

Maybe you are training with teh wrong talent pool.

no you only get better going vs people better than you, you just need the basics
i wish i could roll with that caliber or training partners, my game would evolve over night. for a begginer you just need the basics, but i rather get my ass kicked by the best than own some whitebelt and walk around thinking im good

I have learned self defense by watching animals in the wild. After much contemplation and solitary practice I have come up with an excellent defense. I would've rolled onto my back and soiled myself.

VegasFighter said:
In my gym, i wind up rolling with guys like, Frank Mir, and Heath Herring. Not only do they train there, but alot of other quality "known" fighters train there as well. I train there because I heard its the best, but damn, i get gassed out in no time, and I wonder how much i'm learning training with guys that own me in like 15 seconds.

1st of all, i have no jiu-jitsu training prior, and all my fights were in ice hockey.

any tips?? increasing my energy, gas??

You get to roll with Heath & Frank? You bastard! jus playin

actually you get better by rolling with a combination of levels. it's good to have sparring partners that own you left and right. it is also good to have training partners that you can slow the roll down with and work on getting the technique really sound, and well technical.

Numpty said:
I have learned self defense by watching animals in the wild. After much contemplation and solitary practice I have come up with an excellent defense. I would've rolled onto my back and soiled myself.

You haven't been studying The Crane technique, Numpty-San.

GCSD Fighter said:
Learn some technique and get fit before spending too much time trying best these guys during rolling.

Is Frank Mir actually training still?

yes and he wants to fight andrei still. just hard to tell when he'll be ready. looking at december possibly. they were shooting for Oct, but thats not happening now.

Heath is rehabbing really well, and should be back in no time .

back to my thread. lol.

I'm not trying to really tap them, or even hang, i'm just trying to find a way to go longer with them. I roll for like 5-8 minutes, and i'm ready to puke. other than those two, all the guys in my gym are more experinced then me. I'm like the only white belt there.

When you are training there is anybody correcting you and giving you advice as you roll? If not, this isn't the place for you. The novelty of training with these fighters should be less than the need to improve your technique.

you cannot and will not beat these guys without experience. No technique anyone tells you online is going to change that.
They have been training a large majority of their life to get where they are and the are reaping the benefits by being able to dominate people such as your self.

Time to pay your dues.... Things will eventualy begin to get better and you will tap others, if you stick with it long enough the possibility of who you could tap become endless.

Its all in how bad you want it.... train train train.

A bat to the knees might give you an advantage.

j/k

all the gas in the world won't make any difference if you're a newb and roll with guys that are that good.

if they're giving you tips, helping you out and going easy so you can try stuff then fine, if they're just owning you then maybe you should find a gym that's less hardcore and more for newbs.

If al you want is to "hang", you might have to change gyms! Or, keep getting killed there, but go to another club once a week and try to only roll with whitebelts. Otherwise you're just gonna be matt-meat for the rest of these fighter's careers!
The best tech: Use your eyyes and ears, soak up anything and everything these guys are willing to teach you, then go elsewhere and try it on unsuspecting newbs.

Throatyogurt said:
no you only get better going vs people better than you, you just need the basics
i wish i could roll with that caliber or training partners, my game would evolve over night. for a begginer you just need the basics, but i rather get my ass kicked by the best than own some whitebelt and walk around thinking im good

teh naive

getting gassed will build up your cardio.

do some running and biking. lift weights and eat better.
but the best way to get endurance at something, is to do that something.

good luck, and if you want to last longer, just keep running circles. herring and mir both had leg injuries. So I bet they're not as fast as you. get them to chase you around. You'll last longer :-D

Back