techniques for a newbie vs experienced fighters

You won't learn much if you keep getting dominated by those guys, or you won't learn quickly. Training with them would be a great way to sharpen your skills, but if you don't have any skills to begin with, what can you sharpen?

Your best bet would be to learn a technique, drill, drill, drill, and drill some more, then roll with them. Hopefully someone there will realize you're a beginner and give you some openings, purposely make a mistake to see if you're paying attention and can use the technique you just learned.

I'm a whitebelt and the lightest guy at my academy. When I roll with everyone else, they'll let me get positions, leave their arms in bad places so I can get an armbar, etc, but then they'll defend and I'll have to switch to something else, or they'll completely reverse it and I'll get in a bad position and have to defend. It's a much more enjoyable experience than just kill, kill, kill, kill.

First off, you are way out of shape if you re going to puke after 5 minutes of rolling. Secondly what are you doing sparring with some of the toughest MMA guys if you re a beginner? Training with people that are better than you is great as long as you have the basics down, if not what are you going to learn if "you get owned in 15 seconds"?
ask your teacher for help and work on your cardio. good luck.

learn the basics of BJJ, I improved prolly tenfold once I learned how to utilize side control effectively in order toe ithe rtake the back or mount my opponent. Once you get some techniques down youll see what works best for you and which subs you are better at. Ive only been training BJJ for 2 months now and like I said once I started getting the basics down it really helped me to set up armbars and chokes.

Just keep rolling. My freshman year of high school There were twins in my weight class and the weight class right above me that were both state placers. They beat my ass up and down the mat. I hated going to practice, but man it improved my game ten fold. Just keep rolling man.

You can't tap Mir? What are you, some kind of a pussy? Nah, I'm just kidding. Try to go with bluebelts or something, but I would recommend staying away from the professional fighters at the beginning. Getting beat is a good thing, but getting destroyed probably doesn't help you out too much.

Dedicado said:
If al you want is to "hang", you might have to change gyms! Or, keep getting killed there, but go to another club once a week and try to only roll with whitebelts. Otherwise you're just gonna be matt-meat for the rest of these fighter's careers!
The best tech: Use your eyyes and ears, soak up anything and everything these guys are willing to teach you, then go elsewhere and try it on unsuspecting newbs.

alot of you guys have said that, and yes they do take the time to explain, and help out. they're both really great guys.

I just need my cardio really up. thats the most part of it i guess

PM me. I am selling magic beans for $19.99

They will make you a grappling stud overnight. Will trade them for the family cow. I take no responsibility when fighting giants however.

Sounds like you are out of shape. Keep rolling hard and your fitness will eventually improve.

I'd supplement training with some extra-curricular cardio & strength training, get enough rest & improve your diet. In short - you need to change your lifestyle. Almost guaranteed the top level comp players do extra on the side, or at LEAST roll more often.

The other consideration is to learn to pace yourself. Beginners substitute strength and intensity for technique, which is why they often gas faster. Once you start to focus on technique more & start playing a more strategic game, you will last longer.

Dont forget - there's nothing wrong with asking these players qustions while you roll. If they pass your gaurd a number of times with the same technique - ask them to show it to you, then ask them how you should defend against it. Not only will you learn something, you have the time to catch you breath ad slow the pace down a bit.

judogido said:
Sounds like you are out of shape. Keep rolling hard and your fitness will eventually improve.

I'd supplement training with some extra-curricular cardio & strength training, get enough rest & improve your diet. In short - you need to change your lifestyle. Almost guaranteed the top level comp players do extra on the side, or at LEAST roll more often.

The other consideration is to learn to pace yourself. Beginners substitute strength and intensity for technique, which is why they often gas faster. Once you start to focus on technique more & start playing a more strategic game, you will last longer.

Dont forget - there's nothing wrong with asking these players qustions while you roll. If they pass your gaurd a number of times with the same technique - ask them to show it to you, then ask them how you should defend against it. Not only will you learn something, you have the time to catch you breath ad slow the pace down a bit.

i have changed my diet completely, and am into this 100%. I do ask questions, they're all really good about listenting,and helping, i'm just too inexperienced to do anything about it. i only know real basics, and thats obviously not enough. I DO use way too much strenth, almost the whole time. I have a hard time judging when to relax, and when to explode, so i wind up exploding till i'm exausted. i'm working on that.

Back