Team sports have higher level athletes than combat sports

Team sports also have a higher level of weak chined cowards who can't fight so they play with balls instead of fight and take a knee instead of going to the military.

You just have to be fat to make it in the NFL and tall to make it in basketball

It takes a real athlete to be a modern gladiator

I think most people already agree that higher level athletes end up playing pro team sports rather then getting their brains banged in for pennies in MMA etc

however the reason isn’t necessary just the money for the actual athletes, rather IMO it takes a lot of more of an effort to build up a fan base for an individual over a fan base for a city based team.

The average NFL player plays professional for 3.3 years, this is when a young man is in his absolute athletic prime. It is because a team can afford to switch the player up often as the fans aren’t as attached to the squad as they are for the team that in some cases has been around for generations.

MMA is an individual sport that takes a while to build up awareness and a fan base for an individual athlete, the sponsorship opportunities are low in comparison to other individual sports like golf, F1, etc.

The result is MMA having athletes who are fighting way past their physical prime, and athletes who stay relevant despite having many losses simply because they have a fan base.

team sports such as football have players who are competing in their prime for an average of 3.3 years after graduation and as a result they have the absolute best athletes completing at their physical prime resulting in the highest level competition.
The fuck?? So, mma fighters fight past their primes, because of their fan base, while football has prime athletes in their prime? Football players only play for 3 years? And this decides who has the best athletes how?
giphy.gif

MistyImperturbableCapeghostfrog-size_restricted.gif

The average NFL player plays professional for 3.3 years, this is when a young man is in his absolute athletic prime. It is because a team can afford to switch the player up often as the fans aren’t as attached to the squad as they are for the team that in some cases has been around for generations.

no superstar NFL player plays for 3 years. that stat is very misleading due to the size of the teams and having back ups at every position and they're likely counting practice squad players too.

not in professional team sports. you don't make it to the NFL, NBA, MLB by "hiding"
Yet there are teams that never win anything, it doesnt cost them their health to lose game after game, cant compare combat to league sports imo.

http://www.sectiononewrestling.com/documents/nfl_players_wrestled.html

i believe it was the combat sports (wrestling) that made most of these elite NFL players the elite athletes that they are.
Interesting take, for sure wrestling training is grueling, teaches a person about their own limitations or ability to push through adversity. Did that for me personally, I only wrestled 2 years in HS, but that experience helped me tremendously throughout my 25 year military career.

Combat sports are exponentially tougher than team sports. Nowhere to hide, nobody to come on and take your place if you’re hurt or exhausted, no pay if you don’t fight.

American football is not even close to the pinnacle of athletic ability - it’s been proven each time this discussion is raised.

Honestly I’m convinced a lot of Americans see a big black bloke with muscles and just assume he’s a great athlete. It’s a bizarre line of thought.

My point still stands

In any team sport if a player starts sucking he gets cut and doesn’t get signed to play again

In MMA in particular there are tons of fighters with multiple knockout losses who are fighting on PPV cards and co main events simply because they have a fan base and not because they are the highest caliber athletes in the sport.

You would never see that in team sports as teams have a loyal fan base regardless of the squad and fans expect the highest level competition on the planet, in MMA fan bases are harder to gain hence why you have Guys like Chris Weidman staying somewhat relevant even though he has no business competing at the highest levels.
The thing is, saying weidman sucks because he keeps getting beat by top 5 fighters is like saying a player on your team sucks because he didn't make the pro bowl. Could you imagine cutting players from your team because they didn't make the pro bowl, that'd be cutting 95% of your team

Team sports have more specialized athletes than combat sports. This idea that there is only one way to be athletic only seems to come from non-athletes.

Michael Phelps, Simone Biles and Roger Federer disagree with you.

In the Early 2000's Michael Shumacher (F1) was the highest paid athlete in the world.

Add Tiger Woods to that

Interesting take, for sure wrestling training is grueling, teaches a person about their own limitations or ability to push through adversity. Did that for me personally, I only wrestled 2 years in HS, but that experience helped me tremendously throughout my 25 year military career.
i gotta give the credit to @D 1 Wrestler without him i probably don't see that giant list.

i'm not a football fan at all but i know some of the more popular/better players just from my family and friends who watch and i recognize a lot of the names on this list, i think that says something. definitely a surprising list to say the least.

Good, because there is a world of difference between athletes & fighters, which is why despite all the "A-Level Athlete" BS that was on here a couple of years ago Greg Hardy is 2-2-1 inside the Octagon instead of being the World Champion.

Back