Team sports have higher level athletes than combat sports

Takes a different skill and mindset to become a fighter, on any combat sport than to play a team sport...
Agreed! Iget tired of people comparing fighters to athletes that play sports involving a ball it’s apples and oranges

There's no single hockey player close to Gretzky's level in terms of sheer dominance. Sure we can talk about players success with multiple teams which has various contributing factors to shortly include head coaching, goaltending and key leadership players. I will not entertain the idea of Mark Messier as a legit better player than Gretzky was.

Name Games Played - Total Points
Wayne Gretzky 1483 - 2857
Jaromir Jagr 1733 - 1921
Mark Messier 1756 - 1887
Gordie Howe 1767 - 1850
Mario Lemieux 915 - 1723
Mario at his best was arguably the highest peak of any player ever.

I wouldn’t put messier with Gretzky either but just pointing out the championships weren’t just Gretzky. They won without him too.

Short prime in team sports is a testament to the fact that team sports don’t need to rely on an individual athletes marketability in order to provide the highest level competition, it’s corporate thinking allows for individuals to be replaced by the next best thing
You mean their bodies quickly break down and they become expendable. Again it’s not a sign of higher level competition. It’s a sport that runs through bodies quick and makes it less attractive than other sports if you had a choice.

Mario at his best was arguably the highest peak of any player ever.

I wouldn’t put messier with Gretzky either but just pointing out the championships weren’t just Gretzky. They won without him too.
Yes I never understood how a person would contest Messier was better than Gretzky because he was more complete or durable. Gretzky might not have been defensively sounded that is why a hockey club has a defenseman position. IMO Gretzky, Lemieux and Jagr are in a category of their own due to their offensive and playmaking talent. All were slightly ahead of Messier.

Back