Tattoo Removal

Dr J

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have or know of any experiences with tattoo removal. Every website showing the results of their laser treatments, but it's clear they use lighting and skin tanning to make the "after" photo look better than it really does. How good are the results of tattoo removal? Scars, permanently lightened skin, certain colors not removed, normal healthy skin etc.?

My old man had his Borstal tats removed, looks like he's melted some stilton on his hands now.

Was it done recently with a high tech laser?

He had it done back when laser removal was in its infancy. Cost him a fortune, thousands of pounds & took multiple visits but i think he gave up in the end. Looks like a burn scar now. It was only a couple of swallows, between each thumb/indexfinger ......

Any idea what these new lasers can do?

Any idea what these new lasers can do?

See for yourself:

From what I've heard it's painful, and most professionally done tattoos will take several expensive treatments to get rid of. There doesn't seem to be much left in the way of scarring nowadays, though - assuming your tattoo didn't cause scarring in the first place.

Personally, I'd rather go for a cover up or learn to live with a bad tattoo...

Why do you want your tattoo removed, if you don't mind saying?

Those photos are the issue. You see the before photos, and the guy's fingers are tan. In the after photos he looks pasty. I was wondering if anyone had it done personally and what it looked like since photos can be so deceiving.

Why do you want your tattoo removed, if you don't mind saying?
I don't have any tattoos. My wife got one in college, regrets it, and wants it gone. She just nervous about getting scarred or just having it end up looking worse.

I don't have any tattoos. My wife got one in college, regrets it, and wants it gone. She just nervous about getting scarred or just having it end up looking worse.

Is a cover up tattoo an option? Flowers work great, for example.

As for removal- it depends on the professionalism and pigment color and quality used. Go have some consultations done, and ask to see the technician's portfolio of before and afters.

+1 for "expensive and excruciating"

It's a penis tattoo from the result of a drunken night out, isn't it TS?

You can tell the truth we won't judge.

I've had a few removed. One on my leg that was used with low quality ink, basically just black and red colors after three treatments is basically all but disappeared. Some of the ones on my upper arms (I have sleeves) that were done with extensive coloring blue,green..ect have barely made much of a difference except some light fading I imagine it would take 10 or more treatments to wipe it out. But then the issue of scaring come up.

I still have not got a Tattoo because Im still not sure what exactly I want. I want to be sure, and im going to draw it myself. Im not putting someone else's art on me unless its something I really Really like. A few symbols though that I did not design Id like. Id love to get a Zelda tattoo with my dad. He is a huge Zelda fan as am I and I have many fond memories playing it and him watching and helping, even to this day. We spent a good part of Thanksgiving playing Skyward Sward. I think he may be down with it at some point.

Another word of advice from the techs I talk to was if you plan on having a large or super colorful piece removed don't bother unless you have plenty of time and literally thousands of dollars to spend. It's a waste and will end up looking like a faded mess. I have sleeves that have a lot of color in them and asked what it would take to get them removed and was basically told "impossible". The time factor is also an issue it usually takes a good 4-6 months in between sessions to see the best results. People have the misconception that the laser is burning the tattoo off when in fact the energy causes the tattoo pigment to fragment into smaller particles that are removed by the body's immune system this can take a LONG time. The pain is unlike anything I have experienced, I have been stabbed before, broken bones..ect and nothing compares to the pain of that laser, you're literally counting the seconds for it to be over with (along with the smell of your burning skin). Probably the worst pain you'll ever feel in your life.

began tattoo removal some years ago via the candela laser.
the pain involved is worse than the original tattooing.
it's a process of multiple visits, lasering, ice packs to soothe
the painful swelling from the intense heat, etc.
is what you have really that bad?
just add designs to change it up.

I have a lot of tattoos. Unless she doesnt like the location of it (neck, hand etc) and wants no tattoo in that spot, id advise finding a very good artist and getting a cover up. As long as the one she has now isnt huge and dark. If its a name or something small, a good artist can give her a coverup she will love. Itll be much cheaper and faster and less painful

Is a cover up tattoo an option? Flowers work great, for example.

As for removal- it depends on the professionalism and pigment color and quality used. Go have some consultations done, and ask to see the technician's portfolio of before and afters.

+1 for "expensive and excruciating"
She doesn't like the idea of having one anymore. It was a college team/peer pressure kind of thing. It's very small, maybe 1 inch x 1 inch and in red and blue.

She went to see one doc regarding it and she said the portfolio was very similar to what you find online--it was obvious lighting was being used for favorable appearance.

Pink was getting a tattoo removed and gave up after the first treatment citing the pain was too intense...

Good luck...

Yeah, I've heard it's quite painful. Hopefully it wouldn't be too long of a procedure given that its an inch x an inch.

Back