Tattoo Removal

Ta for the info Mike.

Roughly how much do you charge to fully remove a tattoo the size of yours fella?

I have no tatts btw, Just curious.

I don't have any tattoos. My wife got one in college, regrets it, and wants it gone. She just nervous about getting scarred or just having it end up looking worse.

Just get a cover up

Is that spot at the bottom left not being removed, or just not taking as well as the rest after the first treatment?

phpDl54HH_1219914487.jpg

The best tattoo removal.

This is my first post here - long time lurker, took forever to get my account approved and kind of forgot to come back. In any event - Mods - I am not trying to spam - shoot me a DM if you have questions.

Everyone else - I own a laser tattoo removal business - and for the sake of trying to not be "spammy" I won't be linking to it unless the mods / everyone else is fine with that. With that, I'm going to do my best to address some of the questions and misinformation here.

Some background. Lasers don't remove tattoos. They facilitate the body to dispose of the pigments within the skin. The technique used originally, ink, aftercare and your own immune system are all factors in how effective each treatment will be. A laser will fragment pigment to a much smaller size that the body's immune system can then dispose of.

I am currently having several tattoos removed, by my business partner. I will be sharing my first hand knowledge both treating others and receiving treatments.

Take the before and after with a grain of salt. Digital cameras (I'm also a professional photographer, mikepanic.com is my site, I've worked in the photography industry - including shooting MMA and write photography related articles for very popular blogs) are huge variables, especially the white balance. Additionally, treatments are 4-6 weeks apart, sometimes longer. People will tan, outside lighting will vary as it comes through windows, there are lots of variables. You'll see in my personal before / after photo. Also, it is possible to Photoshop images. But, why bother, it works. It's possible to remove 95% or better of all pigments in most people. Scars are rare, but can happen - mostly from poor aftercare. It's also a possibility to have hyper or hypo-pigmentation, or slight lightening or darkening of the skin. Again these are small variables that affect a small variety. This is all covered in any consult. Blacks and reds react the best / fastest to treatments, blue, yellow and some greens can be a bit more stubborn but can still be removed.

They can facilitate tattoo removal, moles, birth marks, sun spots, tattoos from radiation treatments (cancer) - some lasers on the market are for hair removal and others are for re-surfacing (helping to reduce / remove scars).

Sure, this is my leg:

OAeRY.jpg

The "after" has a slight orange tinge to it due to more natural sunlight coming in (5500k) than the before photo, which was taken in a different part of my office under tube lighting, which was a little cooler and closer to the 6500k range. It's my own fault for not doing a custom white balance.

With other businesses, my issue is that the before / after photos are always so small, so I try to make sure we use larger photos, since all the wording in the world doesn't do as nice of a job selling the service as the actual results.

The healing process is closer to 4-6 weeks, maybe that's a typo as "months" in your post. Most people tend to wait 6-10 weeks because life does get in the way and it is expensive. I'm treating someone now with a full sleeve and leg sleeve from knee to ankle. He wants it lightened so he can get some better quality work.

Regarding pain, please understand that it's really different for everyone. I usually tell people it feels like the last 5 minutes of the longest tattoo session you've sat through, and on fire. Most people say it's similar to a hot rubber band being smacked over and over. Women tend to do the best with the pain I've found.

Also, treatment time is fast. Something the size of an iPhone can usually be totally treated in under 4 minutes. Within 20-60 minutes of the treatment, after the heat has dissipated from the body, the vast majority of pain also leaves too. There's also no burning feeling in the shower the following day.

False. Most scarring happens because some people are more prone to it than others. Other factors include the tech not running the machine properly causing a more cautious aftercare, and then neglect of aftercare. What you are describing is keloid scarring, aka 3d tattoos. And you're right, the tattoo can be removed but the bumps won't ever go away.

You should know that the healing process should be completed within 10-21 days but you will see the vast majority of fading happen between 21 days and 6 months.

I'm going to subscribe to this thread, please ask whatever questions you want and I'll do my best to answer them. If you're current undergoing treatment and have concerns or questions regarding aftercare I strongly suggest you contact them immediately.

Question: what's the deal with wrecking balm?

Any good stories from lasering people?

Are you a dermatologist or a super villain?

Any good stories involving wieners? (I suppose that last ones open to all readers)

Sure, this is my leg:

OAeRY.jpg

The "after" has a slight orange tinge to it due to more natural sunlight coming in (5500k) than the before photo, which was taken in a different part of my office under tube lighting, which was a little cooler and closer to the 6500k range. It's my own fault for not doing a custom white balance.

1000k will not make that much of a difference in color like in your pictures.
lighting_zps2836035b.gif

Last edited:
If TS's wife tattoo is small a cover up would be easier/cheaper

Any good stories involving wieners? (I suppose that last ones open to all readers)

Wrecking balm doesn't do shit. Look at the Amazon reviews and accounts from users. It's a waste of money.

Ta for the info Mike.

Roughly how much do you charge to fully remove a tattoo the size of yours fella?

I have no tatts btw, Just curious.

Our standard rated is $250 per treatment, however we run specials and multi-purchase discounts on a regular basis. We don't charge per square inch, but I also won't treat an area bigger than I feel you can properly heal.

Is that spot at the bottom left not being removed, or just not taking as well as the rest after the first treatment?

It's another part of the tattoo that I didn't have treatment done on, mostly because I wanted a "real life" comparison of what one treatment looked like on two tattoos done at the same time, the other not being treated. The front one, in the photo has now had 2 treatments and the one on the side, and another on the back have had their first. Photos will come in another 2-3 weeks when I have another treatment done.

Topical ointments like wrecking balm don't work, that's that.

No "good" stories - most people just have ink that they either don't want, or found an artist that does work they like more and want stuff covered up. 3/5ths of the work we do is lightening for people to get a cover up - almost none of the tattoos are "regret" tattoos - like names or stuff.

I'm not a dermatologist, I'm also not a super villain but I do own a laser beam!

No wiener stories. yet.

1000k will not make that much of a difference in color like in your pictures.
lighting_zps2836035b.gif

It's the Internet, we can choose to argue about all kinds of things. I live in Photoshop and Lightroom, and, like I've explained, have been in the photo and imaging industry (aside from being a photographer - like actual printing via Noritsu wet-chem printers) for a long time. 1,000k makes a huge difference. Also, the time of the day the sun is out, the pollution in the atmosphere and the time of year all affect the "color" of the sun. Moreover, a speedlight will yellow over years of shooting, but most photographers rarely notice until they buy a new flash, how much the color temp has changed.

A guy I work with used a belt sander and Jack. Pretty good results.

use TCA acid peel, then one or two laser treatments.

The problem with that is the acid peel treats the epidermal layer, pigment is in the dermal layer, so essentially all you're doing is causing unnecessary trauma to the skin tissue. With a laser, you can concentrate and focus on just the pigment.

I haven’t had it done but heard it hurts . I’d just cover it up with another tat . I think the treatment is pricey as well to get it off

I had a tattoo removed it looked like a cock o. Y arm, when in reality it was a chess piece tbay just looked a lot like an erect black penis, it had to go

Back