Tapped out a guy 65 pounds heavier than me today...

Leon

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I am a BJJ blue belt and train since 2006. I was sidelined due to a knee injury for almost year, so I am still stuck at blue belt.

I am 5'10'' and weigh 145 pounds.

Today in training I rolled with another blue belt from my gym. We were just three guys and the coach in training, the heat kills it for the other guys;-).

So today I rolled with this guy. He's 6'1'' and weighs 208 pounds.
I rolled with him many times before but this was the first time for like 2 months because he wasn't able to come to training because of his work. I had a very bad time against him because I ended up in sidecontrol very often without being able to do anything.
In the last two months I trained a lot. I went to BJJ training 3 times a week for 2 hours and rolled every saturday with a buddy who is a judo brown belt and he's a big guy, 5'11'' and 200. I really wanted to improve my game against big dudes.

To be honest, we started from our knees, because a new guy was at class and the trainer wanted to show him the basic sparring.
First thing I did, I pulled guard. Had a good grip on his gi around his neck and pulled his head down. He leaned back and tried to get his posture again. I moved my hips out to the left and put my knee on his solar lexus and pulled even harder down on his gi to make him feel pain. When he tried to put pressure on me by leaning forward I put my leg on his neck and went for a triangle. I tightened the choke by grabbing my foot and pulling towards my knee cap. He tapped not 5 seconds after it.

I was really happy that I finally did tap him. I must say he got his blue belt not long ago and isn't that flexible of a guy but he sure as heck is stronger than me.
Making him tap was a big success for me. As one of the lightest guys in the school I always had a very hard time because most of the guys are a lot heavier. I really noticed that the training with my judo buddy paid out.

Ok, well, maybe no one will read this. If you do feel free to post "Cool story bro" pics or gifs.;-)

THX

Leon

Scenarios like that are exactly why BJJ was adapted from traditional JJ. Nice submission!

haha...unfortunately everyone is like 65 lbs lighter than me in my school

Good job on the submission but I feel this thread deserves at least one of these following comments, so here it is....cool story bro.

congratz bro, tapping someone significantly heavier than u is always extra nice

I tapped a dude 165lbs heavier than me. I'm 6'0 180lbs, he's 6'7 345 lbs...mind you I had been training for almost 2 years and it was his first month. Felt good regardless. Now he's like 8 months in and he's catching me far more than I catch him...was good while it lasted ;)

Cool story. Also, why do people in the US (assuming you come from there) on this grappling forum know everyone else's weight? Is this due to the highschool wrestling background or something? I seriously couldn't tell if a guy weighs 80kg or 90kg when I roll with him, let alone a specific weight such as 208lbs.

Cool story. Also, why do people in the US (assuming you come from there) on this grappling forum know everyone else's weight? Is this due to the highschool wrestling background or something? I seriously couldn't tell if a guy weighs 80kg or 90kg when I roll with him, let alone a specific weight such as 208lbs.

If you train and compete for a while, you get to know your teamates weight.

Good for you. Sometimes these little moments are very motivational, because you realise your training and hard work are paying off.

we have a kid who'll give us his height, weight, shoe size and age. we don't ask, he just tells.

If you train and compete for a while, you get to know your teamates weight.

I see. Still seems weird to write down a guys specific weight to the pound. Cultural difference maybe.

Also we should start a "cool story bro" thread for posts such as these, then we can group them all together, even though they are all basically the same.

I really don't think it qualifies as a "cool story"

This is training, nothing more. I really hate to totally dismiss the vibe on this one, because the OP seems like a cool guy, but really...who cares?

The day when you realize wins and losses don't count in training is the day you really start to improve.

I put myself in more bad positions tonight then I care to remember.

It still better to have this thread than a stupid Gracie Online, EB/AB/10th, GI vs NOGI threads.

I've been tapped by guys 140lbs lighter than me. That's what BJJ is for. You should be tapping bigger guys regularly.

Nice job.

For me to tap someone 65 lbs heavier than me, I'd have to be facing Jabba the Hut.

In truth, I'm pretty sure that I have, but at my weight it's much less of an accomplishment that it is as your weight.

Keep up the good fight.

you're setting the bar a little low for tapping a guy who hasnt trained in 2 months

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back