Talented Fighters are Lazy

BJ's bad cardio is a myth.

Subbed Gomi in 3rd round
KO'd Sherk in 3rd round
Finished Florian and Diego in championship rounds
He did well in late rounds vs Pulver and Edgar

The only time he's ever gassed was against bigger stronger opponents, who were able to wear him down, with physicality.
It would be like trying to make Lance Armstrong practice blocking against a NFL lineman.

BJ's bad cardio is a myth.

Subbed Gomi in 3rd round
KO'd Sherk in 3rd round
Finished Florian and Diego in championship rounds
He did well in late rounds vs Pulver and Edgar

The only time he's ever gassed was against bigger stronger opponents, who were able to wear him down, with physicality.
It would be like trying to make Lance Armstrong practice blocking against a NFL lineman.

LOL what? Penn was outweighed by 12LBs when he fought GSP. Lance Armstrong is about 130LB smaller then the average lineman

Penn's cardio was always used as an excuse to why he would lose, but it was pretty bad at WW. Bigger opponent or not, they're plenty of fighters who fight bigger opponents that don't gas (Machida, Frankie) like Penn would at WW

LOL what? Penn was outweighed by 12LBs when he fought GSP. Lance Armstrong is about 130LB smaller then the average lineman

Penn's cardio was always used as an excuse to why he would lose, but it was pretty bad at WW. Bigger opponent or not, they're plenty of fighters who fight bigger opponents that don't gas (Machida, Frankie) like Penn would at WW

Linemen analogy was intended to be an over exaggeration, just to emphasize a point.

I think the difference between your examples is those guys were naturally, in shape, right near their fight weight. Machida and Frankie didn't cut much, but they did fall right around the weight limit.
BJ was well below the weight limit at WW and obviously not his optimal weight.

Edgar was a skinny 155 lb guy fighting 165 lbs guys. BJ was a 155 lb guy with about 10 lbs of extra fat fighting 180 lbs guys.

Chael Sonnen is too lazy to work on his skill and BJ Penn is too lazy to work on his cardio.

Cardio is as much a "talent" as anything else. You can improve it by training, but each person has his ceiling.

LOL what? Penn was outweighed by 12LBs when he fought GSP

Are you suggesting that Penn came in at 180lbs? Because GSP routinely fought at 190-192lbs.

I agree with the thread starter somewhat. I believe some.... but not all fighters do fall into that trap. Reem seems like the obvious choice to me as a guy who knows he's better so won't work hard. GSP is the opposite of this, he was better than everyone else and yet constantly worked on fight weaknesses and Cardio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back