Takedowns should not score big at all

Why should it be discouraging activity and agression?
If you start scoring the successful defense of an offensive move, it means that you're essentialy losing the fight every time you attempt something that doesn't work. It encourages people to play defense and not commit to anything.

I think it's the opposit, there where a LOT of activity and agression om the feet, therefore should the takedown be looked upon as discouraging activity and agression, if anyting.
Huh? Are you referring to a specific fight now? Because there is a huge variance in what happens on the feet and on the ground in given fight. If this is a general statement, it doesn't make sense.

Also, if the TDD is its own reward shouldnt the takedown it self be its own reward?
Hell, lets stop scoring fights and let everything 'be its own reward' and the only way to win a fight is to get the KO or sub....
No, defense (in general, not just takedowns) should be it's own reward, nothing more, because you want to encourage activity. There's very few sporting situations where defense scores, and there's a good reason for that. Don't punish people for trying something unless the opponent manages to punish it himself.

I can understand the TS' point, but I don't entirely agree with it.

It's really hard to determine what "moves" constitute point rewards.

I'd rather see the round scored from an overall perspective and not from singular moves, intended to win points. That type of scoring doesn't encourage fighting.

I've always imagined if you tried to single leg on a guy in real life you'd have to eat some big elbows to the back of your head. Anyone have any experience using/recieving any form of a takedown in real life?

Takedowns are very effective in real life situations and it is generally very easy to take someone down that hasn't wrestled.

Takedowns are very effective in real life situations and it is generally very easy to take someone down that hasn't wrestled.

single leg would keep you safe, head outta there, high crotch/double though..

This entire post is such bullshit, from the description of Bisping-Kennedy to the reasoning on scoring. Fighting from a mechanically inferior position while being protected by the rules should't be scored equally at all. Being on your back all round should lose you a fight unless your effective offensive output is higher by a solid margin.

Let me rephrase then.

And it's not just kennedy, but practically all fighters this could apply to, he is only an example.

The only reason why he ended up simply lying down with Bisping and not doing anything at all, is because there is a scoring system that rewards this behaviour. He knew that he didnt actually have to do anything to defeat Bisping, he just had to hold on to him in order to win the fight. In which case both fighters might aswell have stayed home and not shown up at all, since the only reason for them to show up would be to enter into a fight, which didnt happen.

Scoring of simple takedowns that do nothing, essentially provide an incentive for shitty non-fights.

All fighters currently know that all they have to do incase they are losing a round, is lie down for a while and hold on to the other guy, and that somehow wins them the round for some reason.

Now lets imagine that all fighters instead knew inherently, that they actually had to defeat theire opponent, or perform moves that would aid in this objective in order to win fights, now suddenly nobody would take down for takedowns sake and just know that they would be golden just for that, but now they would have to actually do something with it, like strikes, chokes etc. Imagine how good this would be for the sport, how much more competetive it would become.

And all of this could happen (and only this way) with as simple an action as not scoring simple takedowns, but rather stick to scoring what the fighters actually do to win the fight, and not something that in and of itself has absolutely nothing to do with defeating their opponent.

If you still disagree, then lets just leave it at that you and me, i cant see either of convicing the other, i think we are different from the outset of what we expect/want from fights

I've always imagined if you tried to single leg on a guy in real life you'd have to eat some big elbows to the back of your head. Anyone have any experience using/recieving any form of a takedown in real life?

single would get you out of elbow range, head comes out. high crotch/double maybe

And all of this could happen (and only this way) with as simple an action as not scoring simple takedowns, but rather stick to scoring what the fighters actually do to win the fight, and not something that in and of itself has absolutely nothing to do with defeating their opponent.

Scoring system takes from each of the basic combat sports. In wrestling points are scored for takedowns and turns.. since fighting off your stomach isnt an option, then the majority of wrestling input is taking someone from their feet, to the ground with your opponent doing their best to resist.

Cant handle your opponents takedowns? no problem there is a technical superiority rule that ensures if one athlete scores 10 points or more than their opponent the match is stopped due to this mercy rule.

I think after 5 takedowns the match should be stopped because the guy who cant stop the takedowns is clearly inferior and we no longer need to watch this... Am I rite too?

Let me rephrase then.

And it's not just kennedy, but practically all fighters this could apply to, he is only an example.

The only reason why he ended up simply lying down with Bisping and not doing anything at all, is because there is a scoring system that rewards this behaviour. He knew that he didnt actually have to do anything to defeat Bisping, he just had to hold on to him in order to win the fight. In which case both fighters might aswell have stayed home and not shown up at all, since the only reason for them to show up would be to enter into a fight, which didnt happen.

Scoring of simple takedowns that do nothing, essentially provide an incentive for shitty non-fights.

All fighters currently know that all they have to do incase they are losing a round, is lie down for a while and hold on to the other guy, and that somehow wins them the round for some reason.

Now lets imagine that all fighters instead knew inherently, that they actually had to defeat theire opponent, or perform moves that would aid in this objective in order to win fights, now suddenly nobody would take down for takedowns sake and just know that they would be golden just for that, but now they would have to actually do something with it, like strikes, chokes etc. Imagine how good this would be for the sport, how much more competetive it would become.

Thank you for rephrasing it, but we still mostly differ on both the Kennedy-Bisping fight and that a takedown doesn't have anything to do with defeating the opponent, I'm afraid. I have some sympathy for your point of view, since stalling is a legitimate problem at times, but I assign a fundamental value to both takedowns and control which you don't agree with. Your example empazises this, as my feeling is that Kennedy thoroughly grapplefucked Bisping. He passed guard, established mount and took the back several times, and worked diligently for chokes or striked most of the time. He might not have risked position for it, but he worked. That he didn't accomplish much more is a credit to Bisping's skill, for sure, but surviving on the ground is just that - surviving. If you're 100% defensive for large amounts of the round, that should count for something (though certainly not everything).

If you still disagree, then lets just leave it at that you and me, i cant see either of convicing the other, i think we are different from the outset of what we expect/want from fights
I think you're right here. I'll reiterate (and to some extent clarify) my position, just to be clear about it, and we'll leave it.

I want MMA to be a litmus test of what unarmed combat skills works the best, constrained by some safety matters, but as few stylistic preferences as possible. I believe that top position has a stronger inherent value if you remove these safety rules, and that the guy with leverage and control of the opponent's body is tremendously advantaged if allowed eye gouging, knees, head butts, no gloves, no stand ups, and no rounds (which are free stand ups).

I believe that this unrealized value should be given weight in scoring, and I'm lucky enough that the current system mostly agrees with me, seeing as effective grappling
is given value, although I think it's often given a little too much value, due to the judges having less trouble with assessing the fighters' physical position (that guy's on top) as compared to more difficult terms such as "effective agression".

I'm happy to incentivize action, penalize stalling (including from the bottom), and the such, but I'd loathe if this compromised MMA's position as the combat sport suffering from the least stylistic constraints.

takedowns should score, but just not as much. if you take a guy down mulitple times in a round but do nothing with it and he gets up quickly and he also outstrikes you, i feel damage should be a factor in judging

Lately they haven't been scoring as much as say 5-7 years ago. They are still important, but its not the death kiss it once was.

Like Cory H said on tuf: "some guys that wrestle for 10 years can't execute a single leg".

Takedowns take skill and energy and they are in and of themselves an aggressive move that dictates where the fight takes place AND has the potential to do damage.

Yes they should score and I'm not sure their value is overdone by the judges; what I mean is that I've seen guys go 3-0 on TDs in the round but lose the round. Don't ask me which fights but I've seen it on tuf or other UFC fights.

Even if you don't count the takedowns, Kennedy beat Bisping 4 rounds to 1.

Takedowns and top control are not quite the same thing, but I basically agree with TS. Takedowns themselves should be scored like any other strike, based on damage for example. Top control is a little trickier. IMO, guard should be scored as a neutral position, and what you do with it should decide who is coming out on top in the scoring. I can see half guard/side control etc as being favourable to the top position.

So, a nice slam should be scored well as in striking. Guard where the top fighter is defending elbows and submission attempts should be scored in favour of the bottom. Effective GNP or any advanced position should be scored in favour of the top. Stalling in guard (or being negated by a tight closed guard) should be seen as neutral. That's all IMO of course.

Getting to the ground itself should have no more significance than standing up, and should just basically be a matter of fighters preference.

Interesting perspective, and along that line of thinking, if a grappler gets points for taking down a striker then it almost make sense to put more significance on a strikers' ability to get back up from bottom postion.

Almost like a "get-up" would be scored like a "take-down"

Takedowns should only be considered heavily in a close fight. If a dude is getting lit up on the feet bad and goes for a takedown and lays there. The fighter who is getting lit up on the feet shouldn't be scored heavily because of his takedowns.

Igor/shamrock
shogun/coleman
rampage/arona
woodley/condit
harris/branch
hughes/newton
maynard/ emerson (double, LOL)
wineland/stone
Kaufman/modareffi (women)

And those are just some of the finishes.

Jabs also cause a lot of finishes, but 99% of the time they do little damage.

Kinda like the TDs.

The reason they're over-valued is because its much easier for these senile judges to remember who got the one or two takedowns than it is to weigh the dozens of strikes, of varying power and precision, which are often difficult to see depending on the viewing angle. They also notice that all the other judges seem to be valuing takedowns highly, so they imitate them because they are herd animals and the scoring criteria are not well-articulated in unified rules.

In my opinion, the fight should be scored by wondering who you would rather be if it were taking place in real life. I would way rather get taken down and "controlled" (perhaps even with a few half-hearted submission attempts) while receiving little to no damage, than get punched in the face even a few times.

Back