Take Down or Throw of the Night Award

Nicslagan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have been wondering what others would think about having a "Take Down or Throw of the Night Award. Would everyone think this would be beneficial and make MMA entertaining? Please discuss anything regarding this.

No way. You can only submit or knock out somebody once. You can take them down as many as you want. Unnecessary and would be meaningless unless it's the most spectacular German duplex or judo flip imaginable.

I think that there are some bad ass judo throws and some cool slams that deserve some recognition. I think some of these slick moves and take downs should be rewarded. I also believe there would be a few more slams each UFC that would make things interesting.

Sure...

Winning fighter is the recipient of a month's supply of Xyience and a free UFC Fleece and PRIDE T-Shirt.

With so many figther cuts recently, they should have "Cut of the Night" where the bonus is they don't get cut at least this card. I guess it's kinda like a Get Out of Jail Free card, but that fighter has been put on notice.

No way. You can only submit or knock out somebody once. You can take them down as many as you want. Unnecessary and would be meaningless unless it's the most spectacular German duplex or judo flip imaginable.

if it was it would quite possibly produce a ko or sub anyway, btw can sub by strikes qualify for sub of the night? has dana weighed in on it?

I think I can see your thinking of rewarding the more exciting aspects of grappling to induce interest in it. But no, Sub, KO and Fight are more than enough.

Sure...

Winning fighter is the recipient of a month's supply of Xyience and a free UFC Fleece and PRIDE T-Shirt.

Plus a copy of Dana's mom's book and a replica of the mma promotion Dana tombstone.

I have been wondering what others would think about having a "Take Down or Throw of the Night Award. Would everyone think this would be beneficial and make MMA entertaining? Please discuss anything regarding this.

Like the idea, maybe include sweeps in the same category? Also I would make the bonus lesser, probably between 10-25k

lol @ duplex :icon_chee

I like the idea in that you'd have a bonus incorporating another strong set of disciplines, but I like them as they are now. It would not only decrease the bonus amount, but also as a previous poster eluded to, they don't necessarily always benefit the fighter or lead to finishes. Very intriguing thought though TS, good food for thought.

I think giving incentives for anything that makes a fight more exciting, forces action, and perhaps a finish, I am all for.

Would this do it? I don't know.

Take away all current bonuses and replace them with Gogoplata of the Night award.

I think it's a great idea.

I also think that fighters who can hug their opponent against the cage for the longest period of time (for each event) should also receive a big award. Imposing your will should be rewarded.

Since the consensus value of takedowns around here is hovering around nil, I don't see why there should be an award for it.

Even if it ends the fight it could probably just fall under one of the existing categories.

Also "Octagon Control of the Night" for all our Leonard Garcias and Diego Sanchezes.

It's the subtle shit that doesn't get appreciated enough.

Could be an interesting idea for sure .... or even something like technique of the night or move of the night or something, which could include flashy-type of stuff like spinning wheel kicks or capoeira techniques

hehe if the slam is good enough, and ko's someone, then ko of the night is probably in hand. so no need. otherwise why not have punch of the night, kick of the night, clinch of the night, nutshot of the night, etc.

Back