Take Down or Throw of the Night Award

I like good throws and TDs, but "award-worthy" ones don't happen nearly often enough to warrant any kind of real post-fight award.

Just be content with a "10 best throws of the year" highlight reel.

I guess I'm the only one who really likes seeing a good judo throw or slam. Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg comes to mind. Quentin Jackson's slam KO and any slam like it are exciting even if it doesn't end the fight. I've seen some bad ass hip throws and cool trips. I just get excited when I see cool throws and slams instead of the regular double leg or single leg takedowns. Jon Jones throwing Stephan Bonnar around, Karo throwing dudes, etc. I just want to see more of this along with all of the other cool stuff that's going down.

Take away all current bonuses and replace them with Gogoplata of the Night award.

lol, not gonna lie. I can't wait to see someone get caught and submitted in one of these instead of just reversed.

I think it's a great idea.

I also think that fighters who can hug their opponent against the cage for the longest period of time (for each event) should also receive a big award. Imposing your will should be rewarded.

I think this means you like Hump n' Pray more than a Catholic priest at an all boy summer camp...lol

lol @ duplex :icon_chee

Lol yeah. Dat der autocorrect.

But back to the topic, I would still think it's unnecessary because spectacular trips and throws happen so rarely that I don't see the point. I did like when Mir swept Nelson from the clinch at one point though. But still, it wouldn't be worth it.

I guess I'm the only one who really likes seeing a good judo throw or slam. Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg comes to mind. Quentin Jackson's slam KO and any slam like it are exciting even if it doesn't end the fight. I've seen some bad ass hip throws and cool trips. I just get excited when I see cool throws and slams instead of the regular double leg or single leg takedowns. Jon Jones throwing Stephan Bonnar around, Karo throwing dudes, etc. I just want to see more of this along with all of the other cool stuff that's going down.

I love cool throws, but it doesn't make much sense as an OTN award. They don't usually finish people (there are a few exciting handful that have), and they don't tell a story about the fight as a whole.

There are a whole slew of exciting techniques that shouldn't have OTN bonuses. Like why shouldn't we have a "kick of the night" bonus?

I could see like a $5000 Move of the Night award. Kind of like what they do with Metro PCS, but with monetary incentive.

Sure but it should be like 25k. No matter how great a throw looks it just doesnt compare to a slick finish.

I could see like a $5000 Move of the Night award. Kind of like what they do with Metro PCS, but with monetary incentive.

I would like that but then a lot of times it would be the same KO that got an award already.

it might make fights more entertaining; more guys would probably go for slams to try and get the bonus especially the fighters who don't make that much.

if it was it would quite possibly produce a ko or sub anyway, btw can sub by strikes qualify for sub of the night? has dana weighed in on it?

I believe tapping to strikes qualifies as a TKO

If you had a TD award, every fight would look like Kabib vs Trujillo, with fighters hoping that the volume of throws gets them the award

This is why we have the fight of the night bonus. Doing a single takedown is way too minor for an award.

Why? Because nobody liked your idea?

I suggested this a couple years back when Tim Boetsch was bitch-tossing Nick Ring all over the cage. Dana buys the winner a $9 stadium beer.

they should have a Move of the night IMO. can be anything, from a randleplex to a flush tornado kick. and make it a 10k bonus.
Also every fighter that finishes his fight(by ko, sub etc.) should get a 15% higher payout

I don't know how many fighters would go out there and potentially alter their game plan in order to try for a big slam or takedown in order to get a payday.

So in that sense, I don't think it would make MMA any more entertaining. It would be more of a reward for things that already happen in the course of a fight.

Also, the payout would likely be substantially less than the current bonuses. FOTN is worth 50k, because that means you put on the best fight from 10-12 bouts. SOTN/KOTN are worth 50k because you likely finished in devastating fashion. Slam / Takedown of the night doesn't mean it was an entertaining fight, and doesn't mean you finished. I couldn't see this bonus being worth any more than 10k, which isn't enough to make fighters alter their gameplan in order to try and win this bonus.

Back