Taekwondo?

Zoltan97

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I slacked last semester in practice, going only when the coaches started to ask where I've been. I don't want to quit, I think it's just a discipline issue/don't want to get my ass kicked twice a week.

I want to do better next semester. Anyone here got any tips to keep going? Or how to get motivated?

And I just realized the thread title has no relation to the topic... sorry guys! Forgot to change it.

why do this in the first place, if you don't enjoy it?

I did TKD for about 8 years. Got my blackbelt. Went to conventions and did demonstrations jumping off people and kicking boards, doing splits, katas, etc. I started when I was like...8.

I got kicked in the head a lot sparring and I loved it. If you don't like to get your ass kicked, no martial art is going to be easy to stick with. BJJ won't leave you with concussions, but even in BJJ you'll be pushed to your absolute limit.

Like @gspieler said, if you don't love it, why do it? I genuinely loved it and craved competition which led me to wrestling. It absolutely is not for everyone, and that is okay.

I did TKD for about 8 years. Got my blackbelt. Went to conventions and did demonstrations jumping off people and kicking boards, doing splits, katas, etc. I started when I was like...8.

I got kicked in the head a lot sparring and I loved it. If you don't like to get your ass kicked, no martial art is going to be easy to stick with. BJJ won't leave you with concussions, but even in BJJ you'll be pushed to your absolute limit.

Like @gspieler said, if you don't love it, why do it? I genuinely loved it and craved competition which led me to wrestling. It absolutely is not for everyone, and that is okay.

It's not necessarily getting my ass kicked as a whole. I've got friends in my club, we have a good time rolling, I can take a choke or armbar and keep going. It's a pride thing, I think, once the sparring that actually matters (competition, for example) comes into play.

I do love it, there's just days where I don't feel like going.

What kind of taekwondo dojo do you go to where you get your ass kicked?

It's not necessarily getting my ass kicked as a whole. I've got friends in my club, we have a good time rolling, I can take a choke or armbar and keep going. It's a pride thing, I think, once the sparring that actually matters (competition, for example) comes into play.

Well at least you are honest that it bothers you.

It bothers me to not be the best guy in the room at something in a big, big way, so I definitely empathize.

You have to make a conscious effort to train to make YOU better at it, not to be better than others. If you leave every practice and can honestly say you're better than you were last week, then embrace it and keep on trucking. Eventually, you'll be the best in the room.

Not taekwondo, sorry. I meant judo. I was going to post something about that but changed my mind while typing and forgot to change the thread title. Can't change it now

Well at least you are honest that it bothers you.

It bothers me to not be the best guy in the room at something in a big, big way, so I definitely empathize.

You have to make a conscious effort to train to make YOU better at it, not to be better than others. If you leave every practice and can honestly say you're better than you were last week, then embrace it and keep on trucking. Eventually, you'll be the best in the room.

Thanks TheLuckiest. Definitely gonna keep that in mind next semester.

Choking and arm bars???? There's absolutely none of that in taekwondo. What are you talkIng about???

Not taekwondo, sorry. I meant judo. I was going to post something about that but changed my mind while typing and forgot to change the thread title. Can't change it now

How could you possibly get taekwondo and judo mixed up?

How could you possibly get taekwondo and judo mixed up?

I was going to ask something about taekwondo but decided to not ask that question. I wrote my current question and forgot to change the thread title. Trust me, I know the difference!

There are some competitive schools around, more serious about competition and tournaments. The people there are usually pretty athletic.

If you are still a white belt, it will take a while. Keep going to Judo and don't give up! but if you don't enjoy yourself, and feel that you have to go, rather than wanting to go, I would suggest that you try something else.

You are learning lifes most valuable lesson.

Something can be hard and you might not want to do it, but if you persevere and just keep turning up you get a reward a hundred fold greater than anything fleeting.

This is a test of your character.

What kind of Man do you want to be?

Back