Taekwondo Appreciation Thread

taekwondo is the most useless martial art in history. It's worse than wushu. I really want to see someone try a jumping 720 upside-down split kick in ufc 118. Just so they can get knocked out and we can get more hilarious gifs.

This is supposed to be an appriciation thread you fucks!

TKD has help me with my kicking prowress. I kick better than I punch.
I can keep any body at range with my kicks. And in a street fight, this is a good idea.
Because of my kicks, I have a HUGE disadvantage in a street fight, as the average thug swings for the fences like a moron.

taekwondo is the most useless martial art in history. It's worse than wushu. I really want to see someone try a jumping 720 upside-down split kick in ufc 118. Just so they can get knocked out and we can get more hilarious gifs.

No one teaches that...Shows how little you know about TKD. TKD uses seven basic kicks: Front Kick, roundhouse kick, sidekick, hook kick, turnback kick, axe kick, and wheel kick or spinning hook kick. If someone's fancy they may do a tornado kick; but that's it. If you look at the videos posted earlier in the thread you'll see its an art far from useless.

If people want to say tkd is bad or they don't like it that is fine it's their opinion. It just irritates me that people think they know everything about it after watching a :30 clip on youtube or spending 1 minute reading a wikipedia page.

No one teaches that...Shows how little you know about TKD. TKD uses seven basic kicks: Front Kick, roundhouse kick, sidekick, hook kick, turnback kick, axe kick, and wheel kick or spinning hook kick. If someone's fancy they may do a tornado kick; but that's it. If you look at the videos posted earlier in the thread you'll see its an art far from useless.

People like that annoy the hell out of me. No one would ever use a 720 anything in a match of ANY type. That stuff is just shit done in demos to get attention, Taekwondo really is as basic as quikkick says it is: Roundhouse kick, side kick, front kick, back kick, spin hook kick and axe kick.

No offense to the more casual competitions, but a lot of our fellow keyboard warriors look at Joe-Bob's taekwondo for an idea of what's out there. For educational and appreciation sake I present the following:

New TKD Team Sparring:

Pro TKD Highlight

No offense to the more casual competitions, but a lot of our fellow keyboard warriors look at Joe-Bob's taekwondo for an idea of what's out there. For educational and appreciation sake I present the following:

New TKD Team Sparring:

Pro TKD Highlight

That team sparring event looks like it would be fun to do. I have not seen that before.

Its all about the rules under which you operate.

Every Elite MMA fighter gets beat 7-0 by an A class Takewondo player under WTF rules.
Every A class Taekwondo player gets (T)KO'ed or submitted by an elite MMA fighter in MMA rules.

So just enjoy which ever one you pick.

Not everyone wants to be an ultimate fighter
Not everyone wants to do Olympipc (or any other type of TKD)

I am a WTF Taekwondo man myself but I do see why Taekwondo gets a bad rep sometimes. I think there is a bit of time perspective missing in that one of the things that TKD gets a bad rep for "McDojangs" will inevitably come to MMA sooner or later.

Dan Hardy seems to attribute at least some of his success to his sport TKD background.

Dan Hardy Exclusive - 'A lot of my style comes from taekwondo' - TKO - Mirror.co.uk's MMA Blog

I asked him how much of his style is attributed to the South Korean national sport.

"I would say quite a lot of it, actually. Certainly a lot of the footwork and the movement. With taekwondo being an Olympic sport, and it being based on scoring points, you have to be very quick to move in and out and score your points without getting scored on. So I think a lot of the footwork that I use, moving around the Octagon, moving into strike and then getting back out again, I think a lot of it was taken from taekwondo.

"And all the way through my career I've never really taken too many shots in fights, kind of similar to Machida, I think that's because of the footwork and the timing of throwing the strikes from traditional styles like taekwondo and karate. So it's been very useful to me. Obviously I've had to adapt a few things to suit MMA because with taekwondo it's very easy to get punched in the face and get taken down, so certain things have changed but I have taken a lot from it definitely."

Anderson Silva still works TKD into his training. This video shows him doing some pad work, and some TKD sparring around 1:10.

YouTube - Portal TV: Anderson Silva

Last edited:
TKD is legit in my opinion. I know some badass mother fuckers that do TKD.

I have mad respect for any legit martial art.

TKD was much more formidable before:

1.) Olympics (seems to be a common trend, look at what they're doing to Judo...)
2.) Jhoon Rhee decided that covering oneself in styrofoam was a good idea.
3.) America's mcdojofication of it.

The reason I don't like TKD is because it represents the Korean government's destruction of different Korean martial arts systems that were borne out of the Japanese occupation. The Japanese raped them of their culture, then once liberated, the Koreans turn around and do the same thing to themselves...

Back