Taekwondo Appreciation Thread

if a school ran by a wtf bigshot in sang lee provided little except a lot of flexibility exercises but no real aid in fighting, then what does that say for the average mcdojang?

gasp!!you mean to tell me the average martial art school doesn't adequately train you hard or prepare you for fights!!!!?

Quick!!! Lets jump on our steeds and warn the towns people of this blasphemy before it's too late!!!!

Last edited:
And you just answered why the "average martial art" school nowadays is seen as little more than a gloirifed daycare center.

Look, if you want to train TKD, fine. There's no reason for you not to do a sport if you don't like it just because it won't help with fight preparation, otherwise no one would play baseball. If you think Olympic TKD is a worthy endeavor, so be it. They're athletes without question and it might be fun for you. If you think TKD can help you fight, or that a TKD fighter can use TKD in the context of kickboxing or MMA, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Conclusion- The TKD players on the US team are great at TKD. If you put any one of those guys in a K-1 match with Jerome Le Banner, they would be flatlined as quickly as Park Yoon Soo.

And you just answered why the "average martial art" school nowadays is seen as little more than a gloirifed daycare center.

Martial arts have evolved with the times. People go to schools to drop their brats off or to get in a bit of shape. Not much of a startling revelation there.

Look, if you want to train TKD, fine. There's no reason for you not to do a sport if you don't like it just because it won't help with fight preparation, otherwise no one would play baseball. If you think Olympic TKD is a worthy endeavor, so be it. They're athletes without question and it might be fun for you. If you think TKD can help you fight, or that a TKD fighter can use TKD in the context of kickboxing or MMA, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Conclusion- The TKD players on the US team are great at TKD. If you put any one of those guys in a K-1 match with Jerome Le Banner, they would be flatlined as quickly as Park Yoon Soo.

Lol i love how you think your post is the final unshakable word on the art. Bravo!

Tkd already has been used with success in both arenas as people have already noted continually. Of course the styles detractors will always try to make up one excuse or another to justify why its there but there reasoning is often flawed and juvenile at best.

Point out some examples of TKD players in full contact settings winning with just TKD. I'll point to Pierre Guinette, ITF TKD champion who was effortlessly defeated in his K-1 outings. Serkan Yilmaz had a losing record and then there's Park...

Point out some examples of TKD players in full contact settings winning with just TKD. I'll point to Pierre Guinette, ITF TKD champion who was effortlessly defeated in his K-1 outings. Serkan Yilmaz had a losing record and then there's Park...

How many people are there winning in k-1 or MMA with just one "pure" style
whether it be MT,KK karate, American kickboxing,etc,etc?

That is a foolish way to train especially when you are going against people outside of your martial art.

But of course because someone cross trains it some how diminishes the effectiveness of their style especially if their art isn't one that is popular :rolleyes:

I think that's a poor example. Le Banner would flatten basically anyone.

TKD has some useful techniques but I think as a system overall its not that good.

Somewhere out there Muerto is reading this [most likely already posted on this]

The TKD masters watered it down to a point of uselessness and its their own fault. They should have 2 separate curriculum. One for the fitness only crowd and another that want to branch off into full contact.

How many people are there winning in k-1 or MMA with just one "pure" style
whether it be MT,KK karate, American kickboxing,etc,etc?

That is a foolish way to train especially when you are going against people outside of your martial art.

But of course because someone cross trains it some how diminishes the effectiveness of their style especially if their art isn't one that is popular :rolleyes:

Truth. In order to succeed now, you have to cross train.
The days of being a 1 dimensional fighter are gone.

Somewhere out there Muerto is reading this [most likely already posted on this]

The TKD masters watered it down to a point of uselessness and its their own fault. They should have 2 separate curriculum. One for the fitness only crowd and another that want to branch off into full contact.

Systems being watered down to worthlessness is unfortunately nothing new. Look at Judo and the Olympics.

I studied TKD for a couple of years and it was a great experience. We were taught to keep our guard up and did a lot of punching drills. I think the biggest difference was that my teacher had been running a school for almost 20 years before TKD became an Olympic sport. When he was young he would compete in open tournaments against fighter of many different styles. Before the Olympics TKD was basically a Korean style of Karate. The problem with the Style is the way it is trained and the ridiculous rule set. In my opinion the Olympics ruined TKD because the rule set promotes unrealistic fighting. The reason I left the style had to do with gym contracts and class times.

Taekwondo seems like a style that is blurred between a sport and a fighting art. The sport aspect has led TKD practitioners into utilizing movements that are not ideal for fighting.
However, I train muay thai and one of my training partners who is a good friend has ten years of TKD experience. Without a doubt he is the fastest kicker in the gym on any given day. He also has a hell of a lot of power in his kicks. It seems that he incoorporated the best of muay thai (power) and TKD (speed). He's learning to keep his hands up and how to box. He's going to be a killer in the near future. So I don't think TKD is so bad, but rather for fighting it needs to be taught as a fighting art and not a sport.

Every single person you described abandoned their TKD for harder styles (Bas for Kyokushin and MT, Cung for Sanda, Ben for wrasslin) or paid dealry for it (Razak)

TKD artist often go to different styles for competition in a more realistic ruleset like Kickboxing, MT, Sambo, or even boxing. Not everyone with a background TKD comes from an Olympic style (WTF) background.

Systems being watered down to worthlessness is unfortunately nothing new. Look at Judo and the Olympics.

Thankfully Judo hasn't gone the way of TKD completely. Randori [sparring] is still a crucial element in Judo training and you have to compete in tournaments and in National promotions for higher belts.

Obviously, extraordinary people are able to make shitty styles work.

TKD obviously doesn't produce competent fighters on a regular basis, and those guys that you could call good TKD fighters are mid tier at best and get demolished against good competition.

Obviously, extraordinary people are able to make shitty styles work.

TKD obviously doesn't produce competent fighters on a regular basis, and those guys that you could call good TKD fighters are mid tier at best and get demolished against good competition.

I disagree. The main reason that you don't see as many TKD fighters is because of the World Taekwondo Federation steering their memebership toward Olympic point fighting.
There are a lot of TKD fighters who compete in kickboxing, Sambo, Muay Thai, and now more MMA. And before you anyone says "Well they're only successful because they cross train MMA!" understand that the acronym MMA does not pertain to any particular set of styles; it is just a ruleset for competition. That said a fighter with a Boxing and Judo background may fight against a submission wrestler who's recently picked up some Muay Thai. Since there are so few Taekwondo stylists in MMA or Full Contact competitions its difficult to draw conclusions of its effectiveness. But what we are witnessing is an increasing prevalence of its techniques being effectively utilized. Which, I truly believe attests to the applicability of the style.

Back