T.J. Dillashaw says no rematch for Renan Barao: "I messed him up"

Meh. In a perfect world, maybe. But let's not pretend the title picture isn't already tainted by the ufc's marketing interests. Nothing wrong with a champ speaking his mind and most fans agree with him, it would seem.

I'm not a fan of the company-shill, automaton style of champion.

I'm fine with TJ speaking his mind on who he thinks deserves a shot at him or doesn't, no problem with that at all. He only crosses the line for me when he starts saying that Renan "needs to" do this or that "before he can fight me again". Not his decision, nor should it be. If the UFC decides Renan gets an instant rematch, TJ may like it or not, think it's fair or not, but that is what will happen. None of this is a big deal or anything of course, just sayin.

With all respect to TJ, and he's got a point, but champs should not decide who they fight.

But he can have an opinion on it. Especially when the media asks him repeatedly about it and fans like you and pretty much everyone reading this eats it up and asks for more... It never ceases to amaze me that the very fans that create the demand for squeezing every possible morsel of information out of fighters on a daily basis never tire of criticizing fighters for meeeting that demand, which in turn furthers the promotion. It's kind of funny, actually.

TJ agrees that close fights/flukes deserve rematches he says it right there in OP.

Close fights.

can he at least gift faber a title shot then?

I see his point.
I only like immediate rematches when a fight was close or the judges screwed up ala Machida/Rua I.

If a fighter gets KOed (whether you believe it's a fluke or not) like Weidman/Silva I or get beat down like Barao did, then they shouldn't get an immediate rematch.

Guys like Cain, Rashad, and GSP had to fight at least one fight before they got another crack at the title they lost.

Vote goes to no more instant rematches from now on.

Barao got dominated for 5 rounds and got finished, he needs to work his way back up.

With all respect to TJ, and he's got a point, but champs should not decide who they fight.

Just because he doesn't want the rematch and is against it doesn't mean it's not gonna happen. He'll fight whoever they want him to, even if it is begrudgingly. Though he is absolutely right in that Barao doesn't deserve it. If he gets like this about other opponents, then I can understand the criticism.

Maybe you should read his whole post, because the next fucking line he said "
On a separate note I would disagree with an immediate rematch."
and it wasn't edited

Considering I didn't edit anything out of the post I quoted, you're wrong. That was added after the fact.

Its time for Raphael Assuncao to get that shot

I agree. TJ Dillashaw may not even hold the belt by the time Renan Barao earns another title shot.

Hes going to need to beat Raphel Assuncao (who he lost to) possibly Takeya Mizugaki before he faces the one year younger Barao.

Just because he doesn't want the rematch and is against it doesn't mean it's not gonna happen. He'll fight whoever they want him to, even if it is begrudgingly. Though he is absolutely right in that Barao doesn't deserve it. If he gets like this about other opponents, then I can understand the criticism.

Yeah I'm just pointing out the principle more than trying to criticize. I like TJ, and I'm sure he'll fight whoever they put in front of him.

Agree with TJ. Hopefully his sentiments will be heard by the top at UFC and not award Barao an immediate rematch. Barao took his licks and should work his way back into title contention. Now the interesting question is who is next for TJ?

I'm fine with TJ speaking his mind on who he thinks deserves a shot at him or doesn't, no problem with that at all. He only crosses the line for me when he starts saying that Renan "needs to" do this or that "before he can fight me again". Not his decision, nor should it be. If the UFC decides Renan gets an instant rematch, TJ may like it or not, think it's fair or not, but that is what will happen. None of this is a big deal or anything of course, just sayin.

Maybe it's gone to his head a little. Could you say if you worked your ass off for that long to achieve your ultimate goal and become UFC champ as a huge underdog the same wouldn't happen to you? He's just talking. It's probably not even fully sunk in yet. Let him run his mouth a bit and enjoy his moment in the sun. He's fully aware he doesn't decide who he fights anyways.

It's the high point. The pinnacle of his life. What he's always dreamed of. Not much point in holding anything he says against him over the next few weeks. Dude must be off his face on adreneline 24/7 right now. I know I would be in his position.

I'm still in shock at what he did to Barao. I don't have a P4P list but if I did I would have had Barao in the top 3. I thought he could be beaten but I honestly didn't think any BW could do that to him, ever.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/t-j-dillashaw-says-no-rematch-for-renan-barao-i-messed-him-up-053014

"If I would have caught him in that first round, dropped him and finished him I could understand them saying 'oh he got caught, give us a chance', but I messed him up," Dillashaw said. "I beat him up for five rounds. I proved to a lot of guys in my weight class that Renan Barao can be beat and I gave them the blueprint of how to do it.

"So he needs to show he can come back from that before he can even fight me again. He could be beat once again. He's got to come back and prove that first before he can fight me again."

Look the guy who was gifted a title shot, cause the guy that had previously whooped him got hurt, is now telling who is worthy of fighting him and what not.

Maybe it's gone to his head a little. Could you say if you worked your ass off for that long to achieve your ultimate goal and become UFC champ as a huge underdog the same wouldn't happen to you? He's just talking. It's probably not even fully sunk in yet. Let him run his mouth a bit and enjoy his moment in the sun. He's fully aware he doesn't decide who he fights anyways.

It's the high point. The pinnacle of his life. What he's always dreamed of. Not much point in holding anything he says against him over the next few weeks. Dude must be off his face on adreneline 24/7 right now. I know I would be in his position.

I'm still in shock at what he did to Barao. I don't have a P4P list but if I did I would have had Barao in the top 3. I thought he could be beaten but I honestly didn't think any BW could do that to him, ever.

I don't hold it against TJ at all, not even a remotely big deal.

It is one of the bigger upsets in recent MMA for sure. I think people are going a little too nuts about it though, only in the sense that I'm not so convinced a rematch doesn't go differently. Personally I'm curious to see the rematch, I really want to know if TJ is that good. Obviously he is great, what I mean is, does he dominate like that in a rematch, without getting a huge knockdown/rocking Barao in the 1st.

Either way, we'll probably find out. I suspect those two are bound to meet up again one way or another.

Thing is TJ you concussed him in the first round and he was never the same after that. Might as well of finished him in the 1st....he was finished after that shit anyways.

Fight goes way different if he hadnt got rocked. That said TJ rocked him and deserves the win. A rematch would be interesting imo and sets up a possible trilogy!!

Eh, I don't see it. Maybe it would a little more competitive but TJ was already winning before the knockdown. Its seems like some forget the knockdown happened 4 minutes into the first round and Barao couldn't really get anything of in that time frame. If he was a slow starter I'd understand but he stopped Urijah in less than 4 minutes.

TJ was just the better fighter that night by a solid margin IMO.

Maybe he could have been a tad more humble in his response but his point is spot on. He dominated for 5 rounds. An instant rematch would basically make that first fight mean nothing. He wouid have to beat the same guy twice in a row to keep the title. Many people felt TJ didn't belong in there with Barao. Now its up to Barao to show he deserves to fight TJ again.

Besides what's the point of being next in line after TJ for a title shot if the loser just gets to cut right back in to the front of the line? Other than a widely regarded judges robbery or a bad stoppage or a DQ on what later is shown to be a legal shot there should be no instant rematches ever if you simply got beat

Don't care for a rematch. I'm more interested on seeing how well he defends that belt.

Yeah I'm just pointing out the principle more than trying to criticize. I like TJ, and I'm sure he'll fight whoever they put in front of him.

Gotcha man. I do agree that champs shouldn't be cherry picking fights.

Back