Swimming in a swimming pool filled with liquor

MortalWombat

Vombatus Sherdoggus
Reaction score
Got the idea from another thread on page 1, but didn't want to chime in with an irrelevant discussion sidetracking that.

So....

What happens if you try to swim in a pool filled with, say, vodka. Using vodka to keep it as simple as possible. Think of it as a perfectly spherical sloshed chicken in a vacuum.

Again. Swimming pool. Vodka. You. What happens?

Topics to consider:

- flotation
- intoxication
- corrosiveness??? (as in, things like ears, eyes etc)

more?

Any exposed mucus membranes would scream "WTF are you doing!?!"

Go pour vodka in a bowl then put your face in the bowl and see how it feel then come back and tell us.

Sounds like a Russian torture method.

Vodka would hurt your bits like hell.

Would it? Would it hurt MY bits? I have never submerged my genitals in alcohol, which seems strange and odd and surprising, since on reflection it's a great combination... at least it would seem like a great combination with enough alcohol around.

Any exposed mucus membranes would scream "WTF are you doing!?!"

So that's eyes and nose? It should be pretty easy to keep the head above the liquid - vodka is much lighter than water. Would the vapour be enough? EDIT: that's completely wrong, it would be harder so swim in it since it's light.

Go pour vodka in a bowl then put your face in the bowl and see how it feel then come back and tell us.

I have an inquiring mind, but you really overestimate my dedication to science if you think that that's what I'm going to be using the bowl of vodka for.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Russian torture method.

This is another point. Has this been in a movie scene? How is this not a James Bond thing - there've been shark tanks, caviar tanks, but has there been vodka, shaken or stirred?

I imagine it would be something like this, but painful and located in a pool...

First you get a swimming pool full of liquor, then you dive in it.

I imagine you would get drunk by vodka seeping in through your eyes and anus.

Butt Plug and swimming goggles and I reckon you would be ok.

Champagne baths are a thing, I'm sure I've read about them in a novel, but here's a current promotion: http://www.terminalu.com/travel-new...to-run-free-champagne-baths-for-guests/25027/

Bathing in a bath of fizz – of the champagne and not the bath bomb kind – is one way to drain your wallet.

But if you don’t want to splash out, London’s first ever bellini bar will offer one visitor each night the chance to relax in a roll-top bath of champagne – free of charge.

The new bar – which will open in June at London’s SupperClub restaurant in Notting Hill – will offer the bubbly experience alongside its bellini menu.

But the winner (who will be picked at random each night) won’t sit in a bath filled to the rim with champagne. That experience (with 122 bottles of Laurent Perrier) comes with an eye-popping price tag of

I imagine it would be something like this, but painful and located in a pool...

i know i say this alot but that is the greatest vid i have ever seen

@ least the funniest

What is the buoyancy of water relative to vodka? I imagine that you may not float in vodka, but rather just sink to the bottom. As mentioned, your body would be soaking up that alcohol while in the pool, which would be very painful. Obviously, any cuts that you had on your body would sting like hell. I'm going to assert that the best thing to do with the vodka is to simply drink it. I think it will be a lot more enjoyable that way.

What is the buoyancy of water relative to vodka? I imagine that you may not float in vodka, but rather just sink to the bottom. As mentioned, your body would be soaking up that alcohol while in the pool, which would be very painful. Obviously, any cuts that you had on your body would sting like hell. I'm going to assert that the best thing to do with the vodka is to simply drink it. I think it will be a lot more enjoyable that way.

Density of vodka is something like .9 g/ml, so 10% under fresh water (I think). So it would be 10% harder to stay afloat, whatever that means.

Cuts would sting, yeah. But I don't know whether you would actually be absorbing it with your ahm... large intestine... or through the skin. You'd think that if large intestine absorption was happening, the champagne baths would be a problem too.

edit:

Work has been done on this. Here's a study from the British Medical Journal: http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6812 Apparently there's a Danish urban myth that alcohol can be absorbed through feet

Conclusion Our results suggest that feet are impenetrable to the alcohol component of vodka. We therefore conclude that the Danish urban myth of being able to get drunk by submerging feet in alcoholic beverages is just that; a myth. The implications of the study are many though.

Last edited:
Back