Swim Caps are Racist

When I was young, I just went to a lake or the ocean to swim. Is this not a thing in the United States?

Unless a person lives on the desert, I don't think there are any real excuses for not knowing how to swim, except a lack of initiative.

You don't need swimming caps, you don't need swimming pools. You just need water.

You're talking to me, now.

You have a wide open opportunity to explain to us why they are not "designed for black hair". Any day, now.
giphy.gif

Guess not. Because it's so much easier than admitting you were the one who embraced an irrational race bias, and were misled by this receptiveness to prejudice.

Maybe he'll get back after some deep Googling. It ain't gonna help.

I didn't see any accusations of racism in this article at all. Strange thread title, and strange group of people this forum attracts.

What’s youth Hockey cost in Canada? I’m curious if you guys achieve any economies of scale. I’ll probably fork over $6000 this year including club fees, equip, extra ice and travel for my 9 year old.
All depends on the level of play. House League is about 600.00 per year. Gets them on the ice from Sept to April 2x a week for an hour practice and an hour game. Select is the next level up and that's an extra $500.00 year and that adds another practice and game a week. Then you get into rep hockey and that's when it starts getting dumb. Then you're getting into the thousands especially if you play GTA. Plus add all the travel and hotels plus they have to have the best of everything. SELECT is where it's at. Affordable, gets them on the ice 4x a week with only 3 tournaments a year with most travel within an hour and a half.

I didn't see any accusations of racism in this article at all. Strange thread title, and strange group of people this forum attracts.
It's clearly implied by the article:
Numerous factors contribute to why blacks are less likely to swim: a lack of lap pools to learn in, a lack of representation in water sports, a fear of drowning, and a lack of affordable swim lessons. But one thing that’s often overlooked is that swim caps aren’t designed to protect common hairstyles among black women, adding yet another barrier to their participation in swimming, kayaking, water polo, diving, and other aquatic activities. “It’s an epidemic,” Singleton says of their exclusion.
The virtue of this logic attributes their greater alleged cultural apprehension to pools in two race biases:
  1. That black women care more about their hair than women of other races.
    1. How did they measure this?
    2. Are black men more likely than black women, respectively, to swim? Is that disproportionate to gender discrepancies among them in different sports? What is the spread across sports?
    3. Are black women more likely to swim in water without chlorine than water with chlorine?
    4. Are black women without dreads or afros more likely to swim than women without those hairstyles?
    5. Are white hippie girls with dreadlocks less likely to swim than other white girls, and if so, do they attribute this, anecdotally, to hair issues?
  2. It places the burden of resolving this on the cap-makers, without substantiating how the caps they make are better suited for the hair of women belonging to other races, and not on addressing the source of this cultural reluctance.
    1. How are caps better design for black women than white women? How did you measure discrepancies in leakage?
    2. Why is it their burden to supply-push a market without a demand-pull? Wouldn't that be oppressive?
    3. Have they considered the potential political backlash to cap makers who would target caps specifically at black women?
    4. How is this a "barrier" to kayaking? Do people commonly kayak in Chlorine-controlled waterways? Do people even wear fucking swim camps in Kayaks? I thought helmets were preferred. Is that an activity targeting the economically disadvantaged? What is "epidemic" about this problem?

I remember when The Atlantic didn't race-bait to troll America into "holding a dialogue" around these sorts of issues and problems with that kind of nonsense. I miss that magazine.

When I was young, I just went to a lake or the ocean to swim. Is this not a thing in the United States?

Unless a person lives on the desert, I don't think there are any real excuses for not knowing how to swim, except a lack of initiative.

You don't need swimming caps, you don't need swimming pools. You just need water.

there are no lakes in urban areas. most kids learn how to swim by their dad taking them to a swimming pool.

Notice how pretty much everyone stopped talking to you? So you were forced to make a post about nothing in response to no one? Then you quoted my response to a different poster because you saw that I was done talking to you?

Yeah. Shhhhhh...

What a silly reply. Debate the guy and conquer his argument. How passive aggressive of you "I'm done talking to you"

LOL, I can picture you putting up your hand at the monitor and snapping your head to the side in a "HMMPH' type movement that teenage girls do.

And the author of the OP/article is as ignorant as you.

I've helped dozens of young black girls, competitive swimmers, apply their swim caps. Most of the really young ones like the help-- boys or girls-- for a few years until they get the knack of it. In fact, many elite female swimmers who have a large volume of hair never stop using a helper to adorn their swim cap. Usually they recruit other female swimmers, but when you're a USA Swim Coach you end up doing this as a matter of routine at any given swim meet. You even help swimmers from other teams who find themselves in a pinch behind the blocks.

It's latex. Afros or dreadlocks make no difference to your technique. In fact, these hairstyles are quite a bit easier than the girls who have waistline hair who end up twirling/folding their hair, and holding it on top of their head, which is why they need you to stretch and cover the head with the cap. It's not complicated. It just takes two sets of hands.

You can fit any amount of hair in a swim cap. We used to put entire girls in swim caps. lmao

So we can fit people inside these caps but not afros?

I'm white and have no problem with blacks wearing swimming caps. What was the civil war for?

Hmmm...you've put me in a tough position. I am admittedly ignorant about swim cap design and how it relates to black hair, so now I'm stuck in a situation where I have to decide who is more knowledgeable on the matter between Madmick--a sherdog mod, part time legendary swim coach who sometimes helps black kids, and (afaik) white guy who is notorious for pretending that his miniscule life experience grants him omniscience--and

Even if you're correct, I'm sure you can see why I would side with her. In the absence of any concrete evidence, I have to side with the authority who seems more credible and who has the backing of a team of fact checkers and editors from one of the nation's most respectable publications.

Are you saying that Singleton doesn't know what she's talking about on this issue? Or that perhaps the article misrepresented her views?
i believe jesse jackson knows what he is talking about most of the time. but i know he has an agenda so i don't always think he is being honest about what he says.

I've never claimed any knowledge on this topic. It's not my knowledge vs Madmick's knowledge, despite how desperately you want it to be. It's Madmick vs a black swim coach and the entire team at the Atlantic.
how much expertise of swim caps do you think the entire team at the atlantic have? more or less than a high level swim coach?

All depends on the level of play. House League is about 600.00 per year. Gets them on the ice from Sept to April 2x a week for an hour practice and an hour game. Select is the next level up and that's an extra $500.00 year and that adds another practice and game a week. Then you get into rep hockey and that's when it starts getting dumb. Then you're getting into the thousands especially if you play GTA. Plus add all the travel and hotels plus they have to have the best of everything. SELECT is where it's at. Affordable, gets them on the ice 4x a week with only 3 tournaments a year with most travel within an hour and a half.

Select isn't a term we use but I thinks it's closest to what we call House. I believe fees are about $1500 USD in the Chicagoland area so it seems a bit cheaper there though not by a mile.

Hockey is a peculiar sport that fosters a highly obsessive culture among families with players. I have to admit that I've been sucked in even though I never played myself.

This is a thread about black hair and swim caps. The fact that you consider yourself an authority speaks to how delusional you are.

I've never claimed any knowledge on this topic. It's not my knowledge vs Madmick's knowledge, despite how desperately you want it to be. It's Madmick vs a black swim coach and the entire team at the Atlantic.

If you understood that you were arguing against them, and not me, then you would've presented evidence to discount their argument.

But instead, all you've done is mention your own life experiences then get butthurt that I mentioned how your life experience on a racial issue doesn't give you much authority when the race being discussed isnt your own.

Does being a swimming world champion give you insight into how black hair is affected by swim caps? If Michael Phelps come in here and disagrees with you, does that mean he's right because he's a better swimmer? Do you not see how irrelevant your credentials are in this specific discussion?

I've put a 110 pound girl inside of a swim cap. If I can fit an entire girl into a swim cap, then any amount of hair can fit inside a swim cap.

That retarded swim coach is just bullshitting and trying to make things racial when they don't need to be. lmao

What a silly reply. Debate the guy and conquer his argument. How passive aggressive of you "I'm done talking to you"

LOL, I can picture you putting up your hand at the monitor and snapping your head to the side in a "HMMPH' type movement that teenage girls do.

I responded to him and he never replied. Instead, he wrote a lengthy post in response to a link, then made a post to no one, then told me I should leave the thread because I was defeated, lol.

And maybe you haven't been following the discussion, but he doesn't have an argument (which is probably why he didn't resppnd to my post). His assertion is "I know more than this black swim coach and the staff of the Atlantic about the relationship between swim caps and black hair because I am a swim coach". There's nothing to defeat. It's just how he feels.

good job avoiding the main criteria...
It should be "criterion" if we are discussing the "main", singular parameter.

What am I avoiding? I'm simply pointing out that a lack of access to pools/water isn't the issue resulting in blacks being less likely to know how to swim.

FYI, I am extremely skeptical that you are sincere. I suspect that you are an Alt-Right troll (or possibly just a pure troll) who is simply posting stupid shit in order to provoke people like me to generate arguments that minds like yours are not capable of producing. You probably copy/paste, then tote them back to 4Chan. That sound about right? That's the smell I'm getting. Let's test the theory...

Chicago police under fire after 'bait truck' used to lure thieves
let me guess all the thieves were black?
Illegal Immigrant Falls From California's 30-foot Border Wall, Breaks Both Legs
great so now taxpayers have to pay the med bill for every incoming illegal
California Teacher Kicks Student Out Of Class For Wearing A NRA Shirt
i would have done the same thing with a che tshirt. no political shirts in school.
Man made climate change
sweating like a pig in sweden. this summer has been insane. its fucking 23 C at night. can't even sleep.
Store owner chases and shoots beer thief, thief dies, Store owner charged
Is there a BLM protest outside the store?
Anne Hathaway applies race card to random crime
will she say the same thing when annually black men rape 20k white women?
Acid attack on three-year-old boy: Three men arrested
Pakis are the worst

<LikeReally5>

i believe jesse jackson knows what he is talking about most of the time. but i know he has an agenda so i don't always think he is being honest about what he says.

how much expertise of swim caps do you think the entire team at the atlantic have? more or less than a high level swim coach?

Journalists aren't necessarily experts. That's not how journalism works.

Back