Swim Caps are Racist

" yet another contributor to racial disparity in swimming "

Seems pretty race baity on its own to me

But there is a racial disparity in swimming. Or do you think any mention of racial differences is race baiting?

If it was already race baity, then why did not just post the article's actual title?

You are so white...

I am just assuming here...
giphy.gif

Fuck PK Subban though...

Mostly cause he isn't on the Bruins

This is America though, not a poor Eastern European country.

A personal pool has been a way of life for millions of middle class Americans since the 50s.

It's literally part of the American Dream.

Ok, but does that mean that it's the primary means of learning how to swim? Are community pools not a thing? Beaches? Lakes? Rivers? I still find that notion very hard to believe - that lack of access to personal pools can be identified as the primary variable in lower rates of swimmers among the minorities

Haha! This came out when I was in high school.

I cited it as part of an explanation for why whites outperformed blacks in the Olympics to one of the few black kids at my high school in the pool at P.E. one day. He and his two brothers were all fine rural athletes, not dominant ones, and did well in track. None could make the basketball teams.

He just looked at me like I was some brainless zombie who had been inculcated in snow-driven racist thought, and wasn't attempting to explain why their dominance on land didn't translate quite as well to the water. Of course, the larger reasons are cultural, but it was one of the first experiences I can recall where I could see someone presume knowledge of my mind when it was actually him who was entrenched in a prejudicial bias.

Ironically, this brother, the youngest, is a hardcore conservative today, and posted himself in a MAGA hat on Facebook during the campaign. At the same time, the middle brother was posting Black Israelite memes/jpegs and advocating for racial segregation out of the belief it would favor black interests. I actually engaged him when he started pimping this bizarre CT that Harlem was doing much better in the early 20th century prior to greater integration. This argument was rooted, wholesale, in an obscure statistic about how a dollar spent longer being circulated in the local black community at that time. I tried to educate him on why this wasn't a healthy metric for the overall health of a local economy, but he was unreachable. His ignorance was astounding-- unsettling, even. I had no idea. He did not strike me as a stupid young man when we were in high school.

Ok, but does that mean that it's the primary means of learning how to swim? Are community pools not a thing? Beaches? Lakes? Rivers? I still find that notion very hard to believe - that lack of access to personal pools can be identified as the primary variable in lower rates of swimmers among the minorities

I never said it was primary, but it's absolutely contributing.

Are "nude" colored panty hoes designed for white skin? Are men's shavers designed for white men's faces?

You're creating arguments no one is making in order to fuel your desire to be right. I'm black. I cannot use the standard shavers that are at my store, nor can my 3 black brothers or my black male friends. Those shavers are not specifically designed for white people, but we have to get special shavers that ARE designed for black people.

Like the girl in the article, I cannot give you physiological reasons why those shavers don't work for me. I'm not a biologist or a dermatologist. I just know that they don't.

Were you aware that black men have to shave differently? Do you know the physiological reasons why? Are all the black men I know (and the entire editorial team of the Atlantic) just idiots who are easily race baited or is it maybe just possible that Madmick isn't an expert on this?

Here's a question: Is there any possibility whatsoever that she knows something about the relationship between swim caps and black hair that you don't know? Any possibility whatsoever?
They're not really designed for Black men. Melanin doesn't cause the issues you have. They are designed for people with sensitive skin and curly hair primarily. Obviously that includes most black people but also includes others as well. I have the same issues.

Try brute... I know it's an old man's after shave but for razor burn it's awesome. Helps with the bumps and burns.

You are so white...

I am just assuming here...
Dude.... I pretty much glow in the dark. Being Canadian with long ass winters doesn't help. I was in Dominican this year and I was just bathing in SPF 100 to prevent bursting into flames.

They're not really designed for Black men. Melanin doesn't cause the issues you have. They are designed for people with sensitive skin and curly hair primarily. Obviously that includes most black people but also includes others as well. I have the same issues.

Try brute... I know it's an old man's after shave but for razor burn it's awesome. Helps with the bumps and burns.

Well I assumed melanin wasn't the issue, lol. Melanin isn't all that makes me black either. But that was my point. The swim caps aren't necessarily designed for white people.

My dad used Brut growing up and I was always confused why he used such old man, nasty smelling shit. Now I get it, lol.

Well I assumed melanin wasn't the issue, lol. Melanin isn't all that makes me black either. But that was my point. The swim caps aren't necessarily designed for white people.

My dad used Brut growing up and I was always confused why he used such old man, nasty smelling shit. Now I get it, lol.
Swim caps aren't designed for anyone really. They're difficult to get on and extremely uncomfortable. It's like designing a jock with spikes on the inside. If you're not racing I dont see the point.

It occurs to me this is an opportunity for a "teachable moment".

Let's pretend the (self-proclaimed) "Coach with a Fro" or whatever wasn't just blathering ignorance about caps. Let's argue, for the sake of theory, that a better design, not for dreads, but for afros, could accomodate that particular hairstyle. Maybe the latex caps could be made with a fatter bell end near the top to house that shape of hair mass more suitably-- this will do nothing to help keep out water, and it's going to smash the hell out of your hair any way you make the cap, but perhaps we could make them more comfortable. Even if this were true, what does this coach's whinging do to cure her perceived problem?

This is where conservatives see an opportunity. The conservative-- the entrepreneur-- thinks, "Aha! I have found a need. This need isn't being fulfilled. Eureka!" This person realizes they have an opportunity to risk a venture, and attract customers. Build it in your pool in Atlanta. Grow a home market. Expand. Patent. Do everything you can to protect your investment and product.

Why doesn't this woman think like that? Why doesn't the author? Why aren't those questions being asked? Why does this woman and the author immediately starting pointing fingers at Speedo and TYR over imaginary customization to whites? Why doesn't she see her market as an untapped niche? Why does she do nothing to address the problem rather than demand someone else address it for her?

Learn to empower yourself. Stop waiting for others to give it to you. There is zero incentive for them to do so.

Class dismissed.

Swim caps aren't designed for anyone really. They're difficult to get on and extremely uncomfortable. It's like designing a jock with spikes on the inside. If you're not racing I dont see the point.

I mean, they're designed for human use. The issue is whether or not the "humans" they designed it for includes everyone. The answer to that is obviously no. There is no product designed with every possible human in mind. This article simply brought up that some black people struggle with how swim caps currently work, specifically because of some aspect of their blackness. Is it surprising that a population that makes up probably less than 2 percent of swim cap buyers may not have a product that is optimized for them? Is that idea offensive to anyone?

Last edited:
I mean, they're designed for human use. The issue is whether or not the "humans" they designed it for includes everyone. The answer to that is obviously no. There is designed with every possible human in mind. This article simply brought up that some black people struggle with how swim caps currently work, specifically because of some aspect of their blackness. Is it surprising that a population that makes up probably less than 2 percent of swim cap buyers may not have a product that is optimized for them? Is that idea offensive to anyone?
Why are you still posting in this thread after getting destroyed on this point? Do you think anybody gives a shit what you think after you faceplanted on the first page?

I have dreads down to my shoulders.

Never been told anything about them when at a public pool.

Cant imaginr trying to get all this under a cap. It would hurt like hell.

Why are you still posting in this thread after getting destroyed on this point? Do you think anybody gives a shit what you think after you faceplanted on the first page?

Notice how pretty much everyone stopped talking to you? So you were forced to make a post about nothing in response to no one? Then you quoted my response to a different poster because you saw that I was done talking to you?

Yeah. Shhhhhh...

Notice how pretty much everyone stopped talking to you? So you were forced to make a post about nothing in response to no one? Then you quoted my response to a different poster because you saw that I was done talking to you?

Yeah. Shhhhhh...
You're talking to me, now.

You have a wide open opportunity to explain to us why they are not "designed for black hair". Any day, now.

Swimming is stupid expensive. Costs more than my sons hockey.

What’s youth Hockey cost in Canada? I’m curious if you guys achieve any economies of scale. I’ll probably fork over $6000 this year including club fees, equip, extra ice and travel for my 9 year old.

Sounds like a great opportunity for a black entrepreneur to design a black swim cap. What's the issue here?

Back