SW: Difference between the prequels and sequels

deviake

Otsego Amigo
@Silver
Reaction score
TL;DR at the bottom

When it comes to the SW sequels and prequels, I'm a hater.

A clip from me in my booth at a Star Wars convention, talking to people who call the pre-sequels good movies:
3UsKriC.gif

There's plenty of variation in opinions about the Star Wars presquels.

I want to breakdown the main difference I see between the Disney sequels and the prequels.

The prequels are a lot of good ideas with largely piss poor execution. They feel like poorly executed Star Wars movies, but they still feel like Star Wars movies. The overall story in the prequels wasn't fundamentally bad, it was a mismatched, hastily constructed puzzle that needed more time on the cutting floor. The score is at least masterful in them. When watching them I think "fuck, Lucas needed some people to reign this slop fest in and we'd be golden, pony boy. At least a couple rewrites."

That said, even the biggest prequel haters (that's me, thank you, come at me if you disagree) can admit that they added to the lore and gave birth to some good things. The Clone Wars really helped straighten that story line out, even make Anakin likable and made sense of his turn to the dark side. It planted the seeds well and made his more dubious actions and frustration with the counsel make sense. Star Wars Clone Wars was fantastic. They did such a good job it makes me think the prequels should have been a series all along, as I'm not sure the movies had time to tell that story properly.

The sequels feel like cheap imitations and it's clear the people making them don't understand Star Wars.

TFA plays it super safe because of the prequel backlash. Maybe it needed to do that to win people back, but in my opinion it went WAY too far. There was nothing new in it aside from Kylo's lightsaber. I was bored watching it less than 20 minutes in because I'd seen it before. There was a better version made three decades ago. I didn't even hate it necessarily, I was just bored. The pacing sucked; too fast, not enough development. Too much familiarity for my taste, which I could have gotten past if it at least seemed like the story had progressed, but it didn't. It was just a lamer version of Empire v Rebels, which we've seen before. It felt like a mediocre fan fic. I feel this movie is overrated. Plus, Harrison Ford called that one in hard which really took me out of it.

The Last Jedi is a fucking dumpster fire with nuclear waste inside, some Chernobyl and Fukushima shit. It managed to subvert expectations in the worst way and fuck Luke and Yoda's characters into oblivion while offering little that was fresh, and what it did introduce was horrible, tacky, and not Star Wars. It's SO bad. It's been discussed to death and there's so much wrong I won't bother going into it. It effectively destroyed the new trilogy, which I thought TFA did a good enough job with as it was.

TL;DR
The prequels are poorly executed Star Wars movies but still expanded the universe and still feel like SW movies, just bad ones.

The sequels are bad fan fic and don't feel like Star Wars. They've completely decimated the main story post OT. TFA is nearly as responsible as TLJ.

As to the prequels, pretty much agree but there were bigger problems than just ironing out the wrinkles in the story. The second film was almost complete nonsense. And the visual approach to the filmmaking was quite a bit off. But they had some virtues.

As for The Force Awakens. I disagree about Harrison Ford mailing it in. I thought he gave it a pretty honest effort. Especially for a 75 year old man running around on a broken ankle.

To me it is funny all the complaints 'I don't like this I don't like that' surrounding star wars fans...has anyone stopped to consider when the majority of a franchise of movies is SHIT, the it basically means the franchise and story is shit.

You can't love the story then complain about how they ruined the story...for 20 YEARS. If you only like 10% of something, and bitch about the other 90%...then why not face facts the whole thing is basically a turd sandwich, and creators/directors/writers keep adding to that sandwich.

The prequels are set in the best and richest time period for Star Wars lore. Even better than the originals and that time period.

The prequels have rich worlds, rich characters and plenty of them. So many stories going on at once.

As to the prequels, pretty much agree but there were bigger problems than just ironing out the wrinkles in the story. The second film was almost complete nonsense. And the visual approach to the filmmaking was quite a bit off. But they had some virtues.

As for The Force Awakens. I disagree about Harrison Ford mailing it in. I thought he gave it a pretty honest effort. Especially for a 75 year old man running around on a broken ankle.

I agree about the prequels, my post may have understated some of my issues with them.

I'd have to watch his parts in TFA again, maybe I'm off. He is old as hell, I just remember his performance seeming half assed but you make good points. I was bummed that he was still smuggling, the dude should be loaded and retired but his character actually reverted back to where he was in the first movie.

To me the Force awakens feels like they
took the plots of 3-6 and put them in one
movie. Why the F*** are they still fighting
the Empire.

My problem with the prequels is how do tell
the story Anakin going to the dark side in
three movies? And starting with him as kid
was dumb. The only good thing about them
were the villains.

But I do think the prequels are than the sequels.

I agree about the prequels, my post may have understated some of my issues with them.

I'd have to watch his parts in TFA again, maybe I'm off. He is old as hell, I just remember his performance seeming half assed but you make good points. I was bummed that he was still smuggling, the dude should be loaded and retired but his character actually reverted back to where he was in the first movie.

Yeah the Han Solo writing for TFA wasn't the greatest. It was just the quickest way for JJ to work in Han, Rey and the Falcon... I mean, he did at least reunite Han and the Falcon on screen so I guess that's something. But I'd rather have seen Han dusting it off and bringing it out of the garage than it being on faux Tattooine for no reason, revealed with a whip pan and some random chick just running into it and flying it away.

I thought Harrison at least put some oomph on lines like "That's not how the Force works" and stuff like that. I mean, imagine how present day Bruce Willis would have delivered it with his effort levels.

Yeah the Han Solo writing for TFA wasn't the greatest. It was just the quickest way for JJ to work in Han, Rey and the Falcon... I mean, he did at least reunite Han and the Falcon on screen so I guess that's something. But I'd rather have seen Han dusting it off and bringing it out of the garage than it being on faux Tattooine for no reason, revealed with a whip pan and some random chick just running into it and flying it away.

Completely agreed.

Han dusting it off and bringing it out would have been perfect.

I thought Harrison at least put some oomph on lines like "That's not how the Force works" and stuff like that. I mean, imagine how present day Bruce Willis would have delivered it with his effort levels.
Agreed about that line (and I'm sure others, I haven't watched it in a long time) and that's a great point about Willis haha

Wasn't the boss woman handpicked by Lucas?

To me it is funny all the complaints 'I don't like this I don't like that' surrounding star wars fans...has anyone stopped to consider when the majority of a franchise of movies is SHIT, the it basically means the franchise and story is shit.

You can't love the story then complain about how they ruined the story...for 20 YEARS. If you only like 10% of something, and bitch about the other 90%...then why not face facts the whole thing is basically a turd sandwich, and creators/directors/writers keep adding to that sandwich.

I was actually thinking about this today. Star Wars was the original trilogy, some video games, and EU stuff when I was a kid. Almost everything was pretty good, the Ewoks were one of the few things that people genuinely didn't like. Then the prequels came, some bad animated movies, and now these sequels. I would say at this point that at least half or more of the Star Wars universe is trash and I'm wondering if the franchise as a whole might not be viewed the same going forward.

I was actually thinking about this today. Star Wars was the original trilogy, some video games, and EU stuff when I was a kid. Almost everything was pretty good, the Ewoks were one of the few things that people genuinely didn't like. Then the prequels came, some bad animated movies, and now these sequels. I would say at this point that at least half or more of the Star Wars universe is trash and I'm wondering if the franchise as a whole might not be viewed the same going forward.

I think what bugs me about adults having a hard on for the franchise is that they seem to try and conjure up some sort of hugely deep and philosophical storyline over something designed to appeal to the masses part of pop culture.

It is fine to enjoy lighthearted and fun action-adventure movies, but obsessing over this shit like they are amazing movies is just going to perpetuate mediocre films being produced.

It's like if someone made a great meal, added some good side entrees (video games, some of the books for you real nerrrds!, etc), then they added another main course that was shit, handed cooking duties over to another chef, then that chef made more shit.

There's still a good meal in there and other chefs are making some delectable stuff, but the shit is stinking up the room.

...Something like that

Rian Johnson can eat shit and live

Back