• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Law Supreme Court makes watergate legal? President now has near immunity

I've always been told that the reason for the second amendment is to stop America being taken over by a king. Apparently us stupid Brits are governed by an out of control monarch who forces us to pledge fealty to him and is above the law.

However, in the enlightened USA they are immune to this. If ever someone tried to take over and usurp the rule of law they would all take up arms against him.

This is why endless school shootings, drive-bys, suicides and police killings are a small price to pay in return for having an armed populace.

So come on 2nd Amendment fans, isn't this your time to shine? Isn't this what you've been waiting for?
but the people supporting guns are the ones supporting project 2025. So the armed militia wants to defend autocracy.

This is all about kicking the can down the road so Trump looks clean enough to run, claim persecution, then block any future hearings if he wins.
He can't block future hearings after he finalizes his second mandate.

I've always been told that the reason for the second amendment is to stop America being taken over by a king. Apparently us stupid Brits are governed by an out of control monarch who forces us to pledge fealty to him and is above the law.

However, in the enlightened USA they are immune to this. If ever someone tried to take over and usurp the rule of law they would all take up arms against him.

This is why endless school shootings, drive-bys, suicides and police killings are a small price to pay in return for having an armed populace.

So come on 2nd Amendment fans, isn't this your time to shine? Isn't this what you've been waiting for?
Hush, subject.

in a few short days, with a few strokes of the pen, the supreme court has made it harder to punish Donald Trump and the Jan 6th rioters that flooded the capitol to stop the certification of the election results.

and they have also made it so we can ticket the homeless for their luxurious street sleeping fetish.

This doesn't seem like the way the Jesus i read about would've wanted the party that co-ops his name so readily to adjudicate these things.

And, if a lying whore mongering, conman, meglomaniac is given 4 more years of more unfettered power and a chance to pack the federal benches and possibly the supreme court even further, well it is scary how dystopian we can turn for many many years past #47.

But fear not, the Democrats are running a man that couldn't finish his opening remarks in the debate against that evil usurper. Nor could he finish his closing remarks,.

So I'm a bit fuzzy on the logic and why I should not feel hopeless right now, but I am a rabbit so fuzzy is my normal.

PS- At least the Russian invasion of Ukraine will end 24 hours after the election results because Putin fears Donald so greatly as Donald has told us. Oh and North Korea will join NATO because Un loves Donald dearly. Oh and XI will never expand or invade anywhere because he respects Donald so Highly, Oh and we'll have peace in the middle east, because Donald knows the art of the deal and has the intelligence and historical knowledge to broker a lasting peace there. I know all this because Donald told me so. So we got that going for us if he wins.

Am I wrong to think that "official acts" that weren't okay before this ruling are still not okay after?

in a few short days, with a few strokes of the pen, the supreme court has made it harder to punish Donald Trump and the Jan 6th rioters that flooded the capitol to stop the certification of the election results.

and they have also made it so we can ticket the homeless for their luxurious street sleeping fetish.

This doesn't seem like the way the Jesus i read about would've wanted the party that co-ops his name so readily to adjudicate these things.

And, if a lying whore mongering, conman, meglomaniac is given 4 more years of more unfettered power and a chance to pack the federal benches and possibly the supreme court even further, well it is scary how dystopian we can turn for many many years past #47.

But fear not, the Democrats are running a man that couldn't finish his opening remarks in the debate against that evil usurper. Nor could he finish his closing remarks,.

So I'm a bit fuzzy on the logic and why I should not feel hopeless right now, but I am a rabbit so fuzzy is my normal.

PS- At least the Russian invasion of Ukraine will end 24 hours after the election results because Putin fears Donald so greatly as Donald has told us. Oh and North Korea will join NATO because Un loves Donald dearly. Oh and XI will never expand or invade anywhere because he respects Donald so Highly, Oh and we'll have peace in the middle east, because Donald knows the art of the deal and has the intelligence and historical knowledge to broker a lasting peace there. I know all this because Donald told me so. So we got that going for us if he wins.
Jesus was a homeless incel and he died on a tree. Not really up there in the GOAT talks of gods

If you're going to go Jesus, Gandhi and King, you have to go all the way. Serious passive resistance. Do no harm. This results in your oppressors either devouring themselves or trying to integrate you harmoniously into their culture. In either case you survive.

If you're trying to be a sovereign nation you can't really take that path. Jesus' teachings weren't directed at America. They were given to the downtrodden Hebrews who were under Roman rule. I don't know that this necessarily means there's nothing to take from Jesus' words-- I just got done citing the golden rule in another thread.

But it's not a good blueprint. A lot of Christians in the current era are trying to have it both ways-- they want the forgiveness of sins and a personal relationship with their Savior, but modern America is really nice and if people want it to continue being nice you have to do some ruthless things.

Straight facts....

A wannabe dictator has his corrupt SCOTUS appointees granting him criminal immunity, the 2nd amendment fetishizers are nowhere to be found

Yes, nothing has changed. The hyperbole being thrown around about this ruling has been hilarious.

The amount of suggestions to assassinate Trump I've seen in the last 24hrs would be seen as hyperbole if it wasn't for the fact most of them are serious about it

These guys can't stop crying. I bet it would be less extreme if Bidet hadn't shit the bed in the debate.

Yes, nothing has changed. The hyperbole being thrown around about this ruling has been hilarious.
BUT (big but) under normal circumstances this wouldn't have had to have been adjudicated at all. We've gone hundreds of years without having to do this.

BUT (another big but) if you take the right's stance, evil joe is persecuting innocent Donny and we have to protect the former presidents from their replacements

BUT (I like big buts and I cannot lie) if you take the left's stance, we have had our first felonious president and we need to stop future felonious presidents since our electorate is too dumb and easily manipulated.

THUS- We now have had to codify this as best we can, poorly would seem to be the best we can.

SO- we can now endlessly argue about what is an official act of a president and what is a personal act. And those future cases, and there will be future cases, can now be endlessly delayed and possibly totally blocked, by simply winning an election.

This is progress which is the opposite of congress.

The amount of suggestions to assassinate Trump I've seen in the last 24hrs would be seen as hyperbole if it wasn't for the fact most of them are serious about it

These guys can't stop crying. I bet it would be less extreme if Bidet hadn't shit the bed in the debate.
Crying about Trump potentially having the power to assassinate political rivals is peak hypocrisy. Just look how they eagerly suggest assassinating Trump so "save democracy." I'm loving it.

Am I wrong to think that "official acts" that weren't okay before this ruling are still not okay after?
I think that’s incorrect, yeah. The SCOTUS painted “official acts” very, very broadly. More to the point though, SCOTUS put some strict limits on how one would prove they were unofficial acts.

Crying about Trump potentially having the power to assassinate political rivals is peak hypocrisy. Just look how they eagerly suggest assassinating Trump so "save democracy." I'm loving it.

Of course they also are suggesting the same about the SCOTUS... unsurprisingly only against the 6 justices that didn't vote how they wanted.

Nothing like adding a sea of grey to an already tricky language. Are “official” and “unofficial” defined or will we use that vagueness to aid the political elite?

Gross stuff with a serious chance of disaster.
<PlusJuan>
This.
This is my main complaint with the Roberts Court in general: so many of their rulings on major issues are so vague it’s not clear how to abide by them. Gorsuch seemed to recognize how important this decision would be, saying it was their task to write a “rule for the ages.” And after months of waiting, this fucked up gibberish is what we get?

I think that’s incorrect, yeah. The SCOTUS painted “official acts” very, very broadly. More to the point though, SCOTUS put some strict limits on how one would prove they were unofficial acts.

Doesn't seem so broad to me.

“The President is not above the law,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the conservative supermajority. “But Congress may not criminalize the President’s conduct in carrying out the responsibilities of the Executive Branch under the Constitution.”

The 6-3 ruling gave former presidents absolute immunity for duties within their core powers and some immunity for other official actions.

The president’s core constitutional powers include commanding the military, granting pardons, overseeing foreign relations, managing immigration, and appointing judges. Congress and the courts, Roberts wrote, cannot act or examine the president’s actions in this realm.

Roberts said that absolute immunity gets downgraded when the president’s actions fall outside those core areas.

“The reasons that justify the President’s absolute immunity from criminal prosecution for acts within the scope of his exclusive authority therefore do not extend to conduct in areas where his authority is shared with Congress,” Roberts wrote.

Then you have this hyperbole that implies a different understanding of presumptive immunity.

“Never in the history of our Republic has a President had reason to believe that he would be immune from criminal prosecution if he used the trappings of his office to violate the criminal law,” Sotomayor wrote. “Moving forward, however, all former Presidents will be cloaked in such immunity.”

In a separate dissent, Jackson said the court’s ruling broke new and dangerous ground, making the most powerful official in the American government exempt from criminal law.

Psshhh. We’ve always known that the potus can do and say whatever he wants as long as it’s an undefined “official act”, and, obviously, he can tell the DOJ to prosecute anyone he wants and his motivation can’t even be questioned, why would it ever? Nobody in MAGA land has ever questioned the potus and doj working together, this is common sense unless you’re a libtard. And common sense also dictates nobody should be able to use any “official act” related information as evidence when he’s indicted for crimes as a private citizen. Only a Moran wasn’t aware of these unwritten rules. SCOTUS has simply been transcribing them for us for the last several months.

Back