Superman vs Hulk

Couldn't Superman just literally rip him in half?

Nah Hulk is really durable. Superman (usually) has limits. The writers in the 60s never really considered fanboys debating power limits so there's versions of Superman who could beat Hulk with a sneeze but usually he has to scrap and struggle with Hulk type people to beat them.

They're both written to be overpowered and omnipotent. Superman has the advantage of flight and speed (unless some nerd tells me "Hulk can fly too don'tchaknow. "In issue #314b...")

Superman. Strongest Hulk Version would beat several weaker Superman Version, tho.

Nah Hulk is really durable. Superman (usually) has limits. The writers in the 60s never really considered fanboys debating power limits so there's versions of Superman who could beat Hulk with a sneeze but usually he has to scrap and struggle with Hulk type people to beat them.

Other than when Kryptonite is involved, what are his limits? I don't think he has many, at least not in a physical sense. For dramatic purposes and storytelling, of course they'll have him struggle a bit here and there, but he could logically kill anything in a heartbeat outside of someone like Dr. Manhattan, who can match or even surpass Superman's abilities.

Any being of any sort who isn't some supernatural entity, would be easy pickings for Supes. Hulk? Pssh...1st round KO.

Other than when Kryptonite is involved, what are his limits? I don't think he has many, at least not in a physical sense. For dramatic purposes and storytelling, of course they'll have him struggle a bit here and there, but he could logically kill anything in a heartbeat outside of someone like Dr. Manhattan, who can match or even surpass Superman's abilities.

Any being of any sort who isn't some supernatural entity, would be easy pickings for Supes. Hulk? Pssh...1st round KO.

Well, Doomsday beat him to death. New Gods come in and brawl him all the time. Bizarro fights him. Lobo too. Aliens and clone type things seem to be able to fight Superman a lot.

image125.jpeg

Solomon Grundy

4984002-4512110781-g1aG9.gif

I've always found this debate weird because Superman can just fly with Hulk into orbit and leave him in space?

It would be over in 10 seconds.

Well, Doomsday beat him to death. New Gods come in and brawl him all the time. Bizarro fights him. Lobo too. Aliens and clone type things seem to be able to fight Superman a lot.

image125.jpeg

Solomon Grundy

4984002-4512110781-g1aG9.gif

Like I said, for dramatic purposes they're not gonna have him just annihilate everyone. That wouldn't make for very good reading. I'm saying that logically he has very few equals. Guys like Lobo putting up a fight against him is absolutely ridiculous, unless Supes was bathing in Kryptonite an hour before the fight.

Considering all of his powers, the vulnerability he is shown to have in certain encounters not involving Kryptonite doesn't make any sense. He could flick Lobo into the sun with his pinky finger, cut him half with a laser beam, freeze him, rip his head off., etc. There would be no back and forth. It would be over in a millisecond.

Like I said, for dramatic purposes they're not gonna have him just annihilate everyone. That wouldn't make for very good reading. I'm saying that logically he has very few equals. Guys like Lobo putting up a fight against him is absolutely ridiculous, unless Supes was bathing in Kryptonite an hour before the fight.

Considering all of his powers, the vulnerability he is shown to have in certain encounters not involving Kryptonite doesn't make any sense. He could flick Lobo into the sun with his pinky finger, cut him half with a laser beam, freeze him, rip his head off., etc. There would be no back and forth. It would be over in a millisecond.
Yea, the thing is, Superman is one of the most inconsistent characters ever powerwise. Depending on the writer he can beat Darkseid, pull planets, create pocketuniverses, alter reality or gets beat up by some robot or grundy smashing him with a bus.

I remember Thanos getting arrested by cops with handcuffs on. Same gor superman but a lvl below.

I guess. Superman at his best might be the G rated superman anyway. I feel like we should be moving away from the big Superman city crushing battles and more towards "your grandparents and kids can all watch Superman together."

I guess. Superman at his best might be the G rated superman anyway. I feel like we should be moving away from the big Superman city crushing battles and more towards "your grandparents and kids can all watch Superman together."

I don't think much has changed there. He's always been the wholesome superhero. Snyder tried to give him a bit of edge, but it kind of went against the grain of the nature of his character, which is why I think over time, people kind of rejected that iteration of the character. He's not a blood thirsty murderer, or some emotionless husk like Dr. Manhattan. He fights the good fight and tries to balance his powers with a sense of morality. "Just kill your enemies if you can" isn't a good message to be sending out to the kiddies. He totally could though.

Superman is such a stupid character. Why would you give someone ALL the powers? It's like 5 year old created him.

So strengthwise they are close, hulk probably has an advantage there, but that's it.

Superman can fly him into the sun, or burn his eyes out with laser vision, or reverse the earth's rotation to make time move backwards until the hulk is vulnerable (as banner) and sneakily kill him.

Or he can simply fucking dodge everything the hulk does because HE HAS FUCKING SUPER SPEED!!!

he's almost as fast as the flash and yet he simply "forgets" to use this power in almost all of his fights. That's how stupidly broken he is as a character. He has to forget to use his own powers in order to make the fights interesting.

Back