Super squats?

Actually, most studies say that hard-training athletes can digest up to 30 grams at a time. Some other studies have said that we can digest 40 or even 50 grams. The majority of what I've read cites the lower number, however, so that is what I've always stuck to, especially w/ whey, which is fast-digesting. Casein -- probably not a problem (and maybe not even w/ whey), but I think the safe route is to break it down into smaller increments.

Personally, I make a shake in the morning w/ 24 ounces of milk and 4 scoops of protein (about 120 grams total), take it to work, and sip it throughout the day.

Of course of your really a sicko, 20 rep Deadlifts are much more fun :))

That's cool, Wilhelm. You're probably doing just fine then. And you're right, it isn't anything new, but not much is these days in strength training. One of the problems is that there is so much information out there that many get confused and dismayed trying to sort it all out. Another thing, and this is completely my opinion, is that the work ethic of the oldtime strongmen is rarely seen in today's gyms and most people have been conditioned by the industry to think that six-pack abs and mountains of muscle are things that are easy to come by in as little as five smiling minutes per day. That's simply not true and I think that Super Squats was trying to capture some of that work ethic from long ago. Plenty of people need to be reminded of it's effectiveness.

Regarding protein absorption, it's hard to say what each individual body can metabolize. Everyone's rate of absorption is probably a bit different. The body has a remarkable ability to store aminos that don't have the complete chain. It stores them until the rest of the aminos enter the body. I always drink a custon mix of protein that contains all of the aminos. For me it would be very time consuming and too involved to monitor and figure out exactly what my body can use in a sitting. I'd rather take a bit more and just piss out the rest than not get enough. But definitely if someone can get the grams of protein they want in a day and spread that out, in equal amounts, over the course of the entire day then that's best.

BC.

BC. said:
For me it would be very time consuming and too involved to monitor and figure out exactly what my body can use in a sitting. I'd rather take a bit more and just piss out the rest than not get enough. But definitely if someone can get the grams of protein they want in a day and spread that out, in equal amounts, over the course of the entire day then that's best.

BC.

what i do is if i'm eating a high protein meal, i don't have a shake. if theres not a whole lot of protein in a meal, or im having a snack and feel like having a shake, i have a shake. This just sort of separates my protein intake so that i don't end up eating a whole bunch of fish or meat or whatever and drinking a shake too, because to the best of my knowledge, much of the protein would then go to waste.

BC. said:
Another thing, and this is completely my opinion, is that the work ethic of the oldtime strongmen is rarely seen in today's gyms and most people have been conditioned by the industry to think that six-pack abs and mountains of muscle are things that are easy to come by in as little as five smiling minutes per day.

BC.

Couldn't agree more. What's even sillier is watching people that pay big money to personal trainers multiple times in a week and seeing that those trainers don't even push their clients. Some of these workouts look like a day at the spa and people are shelling out $40-$50 a piece. As far as I'm concerned, there are way too many certifying organizations. I wish there would be some movement to standardize personal training education and certification, but now I'm getting off topic.

Good info on protein absorption by everyone. Nice thread, in general.

Wilhelm, it's really a conflict of interest if you ask me. How do you keep a client if they achieve their goals? Many people who shell out this kind of money think that breaking a sweat is working hard. The sad truth is that it probably is hard work for them. And an even sadder truth is that they just can't wait for the next 'magic scheme' to be 'discovered' so that they can work even less hard and still achieve the same 'results'.

#1can- that's an excellent approach.

BC.

Wow, thanks to everyone who replied to this, I really got some great feed back.

This guy also used 20 rep squats. But only onca per week.
Link

When you look at that guys training, look at how much volume he uses in his 10-12 weeks of 'regular' training between the cycles of 20 rep squats. Then note how drastically that volume drops during his six week, 20-rep squat cycle, including three full days off after his squat day. A guy who can handle that kind of high volume normally, who then needs to drop that much volume to get the most from the 20-rep squats, gives you an indication of the effort this guy is putting into those 20 reps and what those 20 reps take from you as far as recovery ability. As martial artists who train mostly for aerobic and anaerobic conditioning it will be next to impossible to have the best of both worlds if you try 20-rep squats. Something, whether it be your martial arts or 20-rep squatting, will have to be sacrificed to an extent. To do 20-rep squats with the proper intensity and focus required, as stated in Super Squats, would require you to halt your other activities greatly, maybe even entirely. I mean, look what 20-reps do to this guy and he only does them once per week. This is the kind of tenacity that's required to truly gain all of the benefits from 20-rep squats. If you can do 20-rep squats and the next night you can go roll with someone for an hour then you're not working hard enough on the squats.

But there's nothing necessarily wrong with that. What it comes down to is that you'll have to answer some questions for yourself and determine how much emphasis and priority to place on the various physical activities in your life. And those priorities can change over time so it's good to re-evaluate now and then. You can excel at both, even at the same time, but you're results will be more slowly coming than if you could focus total attention on one at a time. Yeah, human limitations suck.

BC.

BC.

BC -

Just checked out your website. I noticed there's a hand strength contest in Michigan in Feb. It's a bit far from me, but I'm interested in checking it out. What is your role in these? Promotions? Are you the beast that's bending the bar in the first pic?

That pic is of Brian Amundsen. He's a heavyweight competitor in NAS and he'll likely be at the Michigan contest in February. That contest is run by Bob Lipinski and he and I are the U.S. HandStrength guys. We are basically just trying to raise awareness in gripwork and would like to see grip get more recognition as a competitive sport in it's own right. So yeah, promoting and organizing. I'll be having a contest, probably in March, in Minneapolis. Definitely get to the Michigan contest in February if you can. It's a blast.

BC.

Cool. It's about a two hour drive for me, so I guess not too bad. I'll definitely try to check it out. Sounds interesting. Keep up the good work.

Duncon76 said:
Of course of your really a sicko, 20 rep Deadlifts are much more fun :))

Damn you, Duncon -- why'd you have to suggest the deadlift thing? Thursday being back day, of course I had to try it tonight.

245x20 and a near death experience. Don't need to do that again for a long while. End of the workout, so I might be good for another ten pounds or so, fresh, but as it was, someone would have had to put a gun to my head to get #21 out of me.

i understand the program, but isn't training to failiure kind of taking a step back?...i thought it was bad for you

Barut said:
^^^^^^^That describes my squat workouts. I used to think I was working hard, but I wasn't making good gains. I realized that I could push myself a LOT harder and nothing bad would happen.
Awesome.

killer_kicks88 said:
i understand the program, but isn't training to failiure kind of taking a step back?...i thought it was bad for you

It's not to failure. You do 20 reps. You do not fail.

Barut said:
I realized that I could push myself a LOT harder and nothing bad would happen.

I was referring to this actually.

On my squats, I could never go over 8 reps on a set because it felt as if my nuts were gonna pop.

Today I pushed that boundary.

And I feel pretty fine.

Back