News Super Prospect BO NICKAL has first MMA fight next Friday

how many newer NCAA wrestlers need to get embarrassed in MMA before we stop pretending it’s good enough anymore?

you need way more than a wrestling base to be successful now. ncaa background was great in 1997, not so much in 2021.
Ur right and wrong. It's still a great background, prob the best as far as single disciplines go... But that by itself just isn't enough

Damn didn't see how much damage u already took in this thread.
Most of ur examples are of when wrestlers try to become strikers... So it's not the wrestling at fault, it's their lack of mma experience

David Conley seems to be a 1-0 ammy according to tap so I think this is an ammy fight.

How many guys have lost to "bums" and still end up being great. Losing to a guy who's not as "good" as you happens.

tim johnson is a bum. gillespie lost to kevin lee who hasn’t done a damn thing. ed ruth lost to cans. pico lost to bums too. how are you gonna pretend you don’t know what i’m talking about?
Guys, fighters might lose once in a while hence why they are bums

Ur right and wrong. It's still a great background, prob the best as far as single disciplines go... But that by itself just isn't enough

Damn didn't see how much damage u already took in this thread.
Most of ur examples are of when wrestlers try to become strikers... So it's not the wrestling at fault, it's their lack of mma experience
wrestlers have to become strikers when they can’t take their opponent down. that’s the case in every one of those fights except ruth/johnson where ruth did take him down and immediately got heel hooked.

losing fights happens. who they’re losing to is the problem.
If we are gonna do MMA math with fighters from that early in their careers. Kamaru lost to Jose Caceres, Volkanovski lost to Corey Nelson via head kick, Aljo lost to Bryan Caraway, Amanda Nunes lost to Zingano, Valentina to Carmouche, Francis to Zoumana Cisse, etc

If we are gonna do MMA math with fighters from that early in their careers. Kamaru lost to Jose Caceres, Volkanovski lost to Corey Nelson via head kick, Aljo lost to Bryan Caraway, Amanda Nunes lost to Zingano, Valentina to Carmouche, Francis to Zoumana Cisse, etc
how many of those fighters are also one-dimensional wrestlers?

Wait so mma math only applies to wrestlers?
no you’re just creating an argument out of thin air that i never made. i said NCAA wrestlers in this day and age keep losing to bums and you started naming a bunch of people that had nothing to do with what i was talking about.

Pico should be a cautionary tale on how not to run your career. He should have went to regional promotions and built up slowly, instead of getting 3 bad losses in a bigger promotion.

An 8-3 record for a prime talent like him is ridiculous.
Yeah Lomachenko's career was ruined after he lost his 2nd pro fight.

Tim Johnson was also a NCAA wrestler (albeit division II) all american.

no you’re just creating an argument out of thin air that i never made. i said NCAA wrestlers in this day and age keep losing to bums and you started naming a bunch of people that had nothing to do with what i was talking about.
I read this whole thread, and I'm honestly not sure if you are trolling everyone or if you're retarded

I read this whole thread, and I'm honestly not sure if you are trolling everyone or if you're retarded
wow great refute to the points i’ve made! ncaa wrestling doesn’t matter like it used to anymore. that’s the ugly truth whether you like it or not.

the only chance these guys have is to join a world class gym immediately after making the crossover to mma and learn everything else before they debut. and this can still happen to them:

takedown defense is pretty simple now, get underhooks to defend a high double and stuff the head/yank your leg out for a low single. it doesn’t take long for elite strikers to learn this stuff anymore.

Is this an ammy fight? I don't think it matters. I didn't think he needed an ammy fight anyways but if he wants one go for it.

wow great refute to the points i’ve made! ncaa wrestling doesn’t matter like it used to anymore. that’s the ugly truth whether you like it or not.

the only chance these guys have is to join a world class gym immediately after making the crossover to mma and learn everything else before they debut. and this can still happen to them:

takedown defense is pretty simple now, get underhooks to defend a high double and stuff the head/yank your leg out for a low single. it doesn’t take long for elite strikers to learn this stuff anymore.
You haven't made any points though. You literally just threw up some anecdotes. You provided no stats, you did no analysis, you dropped a couple gifs. I know that humans, especially less educated humans, think in terms of stories, in terms of anecdotes and examples, and not in terms of numbers. But I could make a similar and equally useless counterargument with some of my own gifs.

*Insert gif of Derek Brunson vs. Darren Till* etc.
or alternatively I could attack strikers with an equally bad argument
*Insert gif of Israel Adesanya vs. Jan Blachowicz* etc.

Those aren't arguments. Those are fleeting memories. Because what is the expectation? That every single college wrestler will win every single fight? Do you realize how ridiculous that is? That is A. logically impossible, because if two college wrestlers (ex. Fortune and Johnson) fight each other, at least one will lose. And B. that has never been the case.

Finally. "these guys have...to join a world class gym...and learn everything else." This is your main argument. And it's like, I salute you captain obvious. Because not since, really, the 1990s, and maybe remnants in the early 2000s have there been strict discipline practitioners. Anyone who comes to MMA from any base, be it karate, taekwondo, muay thai, kickboxing, boxing, jiu jitsu, and wrestling, all have to go to MMA gyms and fill in the gaps of their game. So what you're saying is nothing novel. The only people who don't are those who start with an MMA base, and historically people with an MMA base have done very poorly.

So when you say "there is a transition process", you're not saying anything meaningful. If you're trying to dispute, rather, than wrestling isn't the best MMA base, well there are stats on that. In order to argue against that you need to offer counter-statistics on another base that has statistically had more success. You're not doing that yet, so far you just dropped a couple gifs, and again those mean nothing.

Is this an ammy fight? I don't think it matters. I didn't think he needed an ammy fight anyways but if he wants one go for it.

You haven't made any points though. You literally just threw up some anecdotes. You provided no stats, you did no analysis, you dropped a couple gifs. I know that humans, especially less educated humans, think in terms of stories, in terms of anecdotes and examples, and not in terms of numbers. But I could make a similar and equally useless counterargument with some of my own gifs.

*Insert gif of Derek Brunson vs. Darren Till* etc.
or alternatively I could attack strikers with an equally bad argument
*Insert gif of Israel Adesanya vs. Jan Blachowicz* etc.

Those aren't arguments. Those are fleeting memories. Because what is the expectation? That every single college wrestler will win every single fight? Do you realize how ridiculous that is? That is A. logically impossible, because if two college wrestlers (ex. Fortune and Johnson) fight each other, at least one will lose. And B. that has never been the case.

Finally. "these guys have...to join a world class gym...and learn everything else." This is your main argument. And it's like, I salute you captain obvious. Because not since, really, the 1990s, and maybe remnants in the early 2000s have there been strict discipline practitioners. Anyone who comes to MMA from any base, be it karate, taekwondo, muay thai, kickboxing, boxing, jiu jitsu, and wrestling, all have to go to MMA gyms and fill in the gaps of their game. So what you're saying is nothing novel. The only people who don't are those who start with an MMA base, and historically people with an MMA base have done very poorly.

So when you say "there is a transition process", you're not saying anything meaningful. If you're trying to dispute, rather, than wrestling isn't the best MMA base, well there are stats on that. In order to argue against that you need to offer counter-statistics on another base that has statistically had more success. You're not doing that yet, so far you just dropped a couple gifs, and again those mean nothing.
i’m talking about the latest crop of NCAA crossovers who were hyped up as super prospects. did i miss any? i, admittedly, forgot about bubba jenkins but he’s yet another one who couldn’t hang. my point is that being a D1 all american doesn’t really mean shit anymore and none of you have been able to refute that.

Back