SUMO - 2021 Nagoya Basho (July 4th - July 18th)

I get it, he had reason to be emotional and he always is more emotional than the other wrestlers even if it's just a clinched fist and a look on his face.

I guess our definitions of a blow out are different. In a sport where matches can last one or two seconds and millimeters can make all the difference, that wasn't easy. Hakuho blasted him with hard strikes, not something a Yokozuna does in a match that lasts longer than a couple seconds.

Hakuho was definitely in control and lead the match, but that was never in question, it was if Terunofuji could survive the storm and find an opening. I think he came close.

They gave him ultimatums for his return which is really an asshat move considering the circumstances. I dont cry racism as a lot of others as the JSA decides just as harsh against japanese and we should not forget that Sumo is maybe the only big televised sport that is still true to its origin and its even lived in the same principles by most rikishi and stable masters. That is a huge accomplishemnt that gets ignored nowadays in favour of crying xenophobia.

But well they fucked over Hakuho , the biggest star Sumo ever saw. He also gets denied elder stock as they are changing the rules and the timing is not leaving many options as to interpret that as a move against Hakuho even as I get parts of their motivation.

He already owns elder stock. He is just not getting the special dispensation where he gets a unique stock gifted to him for life in his own name.

So, let's look at our Ozeki status right now.
Asanoyama is gone, Terunofuji is provisionally promoted, Takakeisho is injured might be back in September but really wonder how a guy who runs head first into everything will do going forward and Shodai.

I don't see anyone on a serious Ozeki run, Takayasu just got bounced from contention. We might have no Ozeki or worse just Shodai by years end.

So, let's look at our Ozeki status right now.
Asanoyama is gone, Terunofuji is provisionally promoted, Takakeisho is injured might be back in September but really wonder how a guy who runs head first into everything will do going forward and Shodai.

I don't see anyone on a serious Ozeki run, Takayasu just got bounced from contention. We might have no Ozeki or worse just Shodai by years end.
I feel like someone always seems to step up and fill the holes when there are vacuums like this. Ichinojo looked good, Hoshoryu is only a matter of when, Wakatakage and Tobizaru might find their groove. Hakuho's protoge in Juryo could be a factor in the near future.

I feel like someone always seems to step up and fill the holes when there are vacuums like this. Ichinojo looked good, Hoshoryu is only a matter of when, Wakatakage and Tobizaru might find their groove. Hakuho's protoge in Juryo could be a factor in the near future.

Ichinojo. That is just woeful.

But I mean as far as years end. There's no one who can keep the position standing. Currently.

Wakatakakage almost certainly has an Ozeki run in him, not immediately but soon. I hope Hoshoryu can go all the way like his Uncle, he's still young and has growing to do but I see flashes of brilliance and I see the determination.

finally caught up and watched the final day, and what a way to end the tournament. when he was dominating the sport and losing only four matches in a whole year it was hard to root for Hakuho, but seeing him continue to compete after age and injuries have caught up to him, and then have a tournament like this is really amazing. i think there's no question that he's the greatest of all time. and even when Asashoryu was giving fist pumps and shouting after wins, he never showed that much emotion. good fight from Terunofuji as well, and i'm worried that he injured his elbow at the end, but it was a great tournament for him and i'm really looking forward to seeing him back as Yokozuna in September.

elsewhere, great tournament for guys like Ura, Hoshoryu, Kotonowaka, Ichinojo not being terribly disappointing for what feels like the first time in a while, and even Ichiyamamoto getting 8 wins in his debut.

i like hokuseiho but his taichiai needs work. it seems like he's getting by on sheer size at this point.

View attachment 868617

proud of my boys, i look forward to them bringing us quality ozumo for years to come.
nice, i feel like it was kind of crazy to ask Kotonowaka to win on the final day to get his prize. 11 wins should have been good enough already, but at least he got it in the end. feel like Ura could have gotten something too, although maybe his accidental hairpull loss sort of took him out of the running.

Tobizaru looking very smart right about now, forgot his balls in that match but at least didn’t leave with a broken arm and face.

Back