SUMO - 2013 Hatsu Basho (Jan. 13th - Jan 27th)

Is it me or does Harumafuji not feel like a Yokozona at this point? He works really hard for a lot of his bouts. I guess I am so used to Hakuho and Asahoryu, and their physically dominating style of sumo

Last edited:
Is it me or does Harumafuji not feel like a Yokozona at this point? He works really hard for a lot of his bouts. I guess I am so used to Hakuho and Asahoryu, and their physically dominating style of sumo

I think he is still thinking too much about filling the role. When he exploded off the line I thought he was going to blow Toyonoshima out of the ring and then some thought(maybe I won't make a good showing) crept into his head and slowed him down. Give him some time and he will become the force that he should be.

Day 4 playlist

:O!

bout of the day

Moti's Day 4 highlight

Last edited:
wowow, myogiryu.... i believe that's his first kinboshi, and he really blew hakuho out of the water.

great fight between harumafuji and toyonoshima, with a great finish from harumafuji. regarding lapu-lapu's question about harumafuji looking like a yokozuna, i agree (and i'm sure the yokozuna deliberation council agrees too) that he doesn't fight like a yokozuna. yesterday we saw him get a win while moving backwards, which is not yokozuna-like sumo.

it doesn't particularly bother me if his sumo isn't "yokozuna sumo", and the things he can do when pushed back are great to watch. but i think that kind of thing does bother the YDC, and the sumo establishment.

and we've seen that he can do explosive, destructive sumo with his lightning tachi-ai, so maybe some old injuries are holding him back. i think with his physique though, he won't be doing the same kind of dominant sumo that asashoryu and hakuho could do.

Just catching up now.

Sumo Talk did a preview of this basho and said look for Hakuho to intentionally lose a few bouts, and for Goueido to get an artificial push. Weird that he seems to be right so far.

I guess Harumafuji isn't really as dominating as Hakuho or Asashoryu, but I dig his style a lot. It kind of reminds me of Fedor in a way, just throwing yourself into the fray with reckless abandon.

Tokushoryu vs Azumaryu was the first single leg i've seen in sumo.

Looking forward to Steven Seagal vs. Kotoshogiku today .

Day 6 bouts

Moti's day 6 highlight

Last edited:
been busy lately and have fallen behind, but finally watched day 6.

i'm glad to see tochinowaka doing well this tournament.

miyabiyama though, he's said he won't retire if he drops down to juryo (which i think is inevitable at this point) but i wonder if that's true, or even if that is the plan, if he'll retire if he has a disastrous 2-13 or worse tournament. we've seen the same thing happen to fan favorite takamisakari, and he's struggling in juryo. i'm a huge fan of takamisakari, so it was worse seeing it happen to him, but it's no good to see miyabiyama have performances like these.

goeido losing another match isn't what he needs, but we'll have to see how the rest of the tournament goes for him. i don't think he's really ready to make an ozeki run yet. great win by tochiozan though, who has been putting in some impressive performances lately.

kotoshogiku's match with myogiryu was a lot of fun.

and i loved harumafuji's sumo against shohozan. the harite to open up shohozan's mawashi was great.

haven't seen day 7 yet, but just saw this nice video of the rikishi arriving at the kokugikan in the snow:

Back