sugar

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Mojorisin99, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Mojorisin99

Mojorisin99 Green Belt

How many grams of sugar per serving is the cutoff point for you to not use the product? I have always been a fan of organic yogurt but the other day I found out it had 23 grams of sugar! That seems like an awful lot for a "health food". So what do you consider to much?

2. yomon

yomon Green Belt

i try to limit my sugar intake as much as possible. yes, 23g is way too much for a little container of yogurt, thats just a disguiesed desert. you can try plain yogurt. but i know i can't stand the tast of it.

3. deadlyshaolin

deadlyshaolin euphoria

There is so much that goes into the consideration of how much sugar you should consume.

Look at the food source. Is it a complex carb? A simple sugar? High glycemic index or low? Good fiber content or nil? Highly processed, or raw/natural?

What kind of diet are you on? Are you looking to bulk, cut, or maintain?

Do you have any medical problems like diabetes or heart disease?

This is a very complicated issue and a lot of your personal research into it is warranted. Generally:
    - complex carb > simple sugar
    - low glycemic > high glycemic (with the exception of post resistance training)
    - high fiber > low fiber
    - raw/natural >>>>>> processed

4. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

I'm in 100% agreement with Shaolin, but at 23g of sugar per container, that's probably added white sugar. Is there not a lite option available?

5. spiff1242

spiff1242 White Belt

It may be difficult to eat the low sugar version of the yogurt, but I've found that after a week of going hardcore and cutting out almost all simple sugar, eating sugary stuff or drinking soda just leaves me with a disgusting sticky feeling in my mouth.

6. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

Yoplait makes a "light" yogurt with 14g of sugar. It's pretty tasty.

7. Grady

Grady Blue Belt

To me, yogurt tastes lousy without sugar. The "lite" versions taste pretty good though, and they have about 1/2 the sugar that the regular versions do. Thats what I eat if I decide to have some yogurt with lunch.

How about buying natural unsweetened yogurt, and adding splenda or something? I haven't tried this myself, but it might work. (Unless you consider Splenda evil).

8. deadlyshaolin

deadlyshaolin euphoria

I used to like eating yogurt as a kid (because my parents like the stuff) but after moving out and cooking for myself, I transitioned to cottage cheese instead, which has almost no carbs, high protein, and (if you get the non-fat kind) no fat as well.

I usually mix my cottage cheese with some peanut butter and strawberry jam, it tastes almost like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Just an alternative you might want to consider.

9. Mojorisin99

Mojorisin99 Green Belt

Yea I think I will start eating cottage cheese but I love yogurt as a snack before training. I am actually trying to gain weight but I would like to keep it lean mass.