subs you can defend/escape best and sub you get caught in most

Well Twisted, can't recall if I've ever had anybody try it on me and I've certainly never tapped to that.

Which version are you having trouble with?

what the back crank?...as far as I know, there is only one version of it.....the escape that Ive done was difficult to do.....basically its best to just defend the body triangle before they can get it, as far as I know......

I hate it when someone really good gets me in the scarf hold as well. Damn painful on the chest...

I have trouble getting out of leg locks. But most of the time people do them wrong. When they are applied well I tap extremely quickly...

I can get out of a guillotine just about every time.

im not very good at defending the rnc

The only subs that I really have a susceptibility to are probably heel hooks and toe holds. For some reson my ankles seem rather weak on the ground. :( Its been forever since i was tapped by an armlock and I really dont get choked either, although opponents who are really agressive tend to turn the chokes into vicious jaw locks and neck cranks and get me wiht them some times.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
what the back crank?...as far as I know, there is only one version of it.....the escape that Ive done was difficult to do.....basically its best to just defend the body triangle before they can get it, as far as I know......

Since the body triangle/back crank al a Salaverry isn't a common part of most bjj repertoires I figured I'd try to make sure. I'm guessing you have a fair sized torso in relation to your opponent's triangle?

Turn on your side so that his trapped foot is down, place your thigh over his foot and arch your back. You can also use your top hand to push down on his knee, but watch out for the RNC. Alternately, while on your side swim your bottom leg around his leg and he'll end up with his trapped ankle between your legs. If he doesn't open and put in regular back mount hooks you can sub him just like you would anybody who crosses ankles on your back.

Kawlinz said:
Yup, I'd rather be back mounted or full mounted... anything but scarf hold :p

lol the defense is easy- its about craeting a little space- then bridging the person over your shoulders to the other side.

arm bars for me- And I suck at leg lock defense cos no-one ever trains for them

i dont get caught in subs very often maybe guillotine the most. probem is i get caught in pins a lot. i guess i dont really use them much so i dont really look for them. as far as easy to escape i can usually get out of triangles fairly easy from legs or arms. RNC is usually pretty easy to get out of just cuz ppl dont position correctly. for someo reason many ppl ride way too high and you can slip out the back.

TheHighlander said:
Since the body triangle/back crank al a Salaverry isn't a common part of most bjj repertoires I figured I'd try to make sure. I'm guessing you have a fair sized torso in relation to your opponent's triangle?

Turn on your side so that his trapped foot is down, place your thigh over his foot and arch your back. You can also use your top hand to push down on his knee, but watch out for the RNC. Alternately, while on your side swim your bottom leg around his leg and he'll end up with his trapped ankle between your legs. If he doesn't open and put in regular back mount hooks you can sub him just like you would anybody who crosses ankles on your back.

no, Im a small guy....the smallest guy where I train, thats why its so easy for em to get a body triangle on me.....turning on my side is out of the question...its too tight, believe me, Ive tried.....cant even get close enough to do a footlock.

I made a thread about this a looong time ago....the consensus was pretty much dont get there in the first place.

its a very difficult sub to get out of if they have it tight, and thier foot is locked to one side.

I find figure fours the easiest to get out of for sure, I've got gumby shoulders.
On the flip side, I seem to get caught in them more than anything else, because I've become used to getting out of them easy. I use them to help escapes.
The problem comes when someone does them really tight. Then I'm fucked.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
no, Im a small guy....the smallest guy where I train, thats why its so easy for em to get a body triangle on me.....turning on my side is out of the question...its too tight, believe me, Ive tried.....cant even get close enough to do a footlock.

I made a thread about this a looong time ago....the consensus was pretty much dont get there in the first place.

its a very difficult sub to get out of if they have it tight, and thier foot is locked to one side.

I had assumed you were talking body triangle from the rear?

That's odd, the really small guys can turn in my body triangle. No matter, I wasn't referring to turning on your side while he remains in one place, but you turning the both of you so that you are both on your sides. I escape the rear body triangle all the time (except when tapping out to the RNC).

I was talking about the body triangle from the rear.....and if I turn on my side, then he can finish the back crank much more easily.....the only place where Ive really been able to fight it off is on my knees, in the turtle position...if I fall to my back, with him behind me, or if I fall to my side with him behind me, Im done....then he can easily crank the hell out of my lower back.

trying to turn after being caught in a tight body triangle is difficult to do....if I could do that, Id just keep turning till I was facing him....most of the time if the guy has the lock tight, and you try to turn, you end up torquing your back and your ribs

I have been able to turn them....but it was difficult, and this is how I did it:

I was on all fours, he had his body triangle on the right side of my body, with his right leg in the crook of his left knee, I grabbed his right wrist with my left hand, pinned his right elbow to the mat, with my right elbow, and slowly...paaainfully, pulled his right arm towards my left side, continuing to work my right elbow up his right arm, keeping it pinned to the mat...this was definitely uncomfortable for me, but I was able to work him around, and ended up in his body triangle gaurd.....

its only worked for me a couple times....its really tough to do...when trying it other times, often he is able to pull me over, so we both land on our sides, and he just finishes the crank from there.....again, if someone has you tight, you cant just turn in thier triangle....if you can, they have a really loose triangle and probably couldnt back crank you anyway (because thats one of the requirements to a good, effective crank)

Damn, I never even imagined you were talking about being body triangled while in turtle. I always roll before they get completely locked and they have to finish the lock while I'm on my side.

Is this happening with just one or two guys, or do you have a lot of guys that catch you in this?

I dont roll with a lot of guys...its mainly just one guy that gets it on me...and he goes for it every time I give my back to him.

I used to give my back all the time....I have no fear of the choke, and Im actually way better at escaping back mount than I am full mount, but with him, I cant to that...in a way its a good thing, because its made me focus on my mount escapes a lot more.

stu3ufc said:
lol the defense is easy- its about craeting a little space- then bridging the person over your shoulders to the other side.

arm bars for me- And I suck at leg lock defense cos no-one ever trains for them
In theory getting out of the scarf is very easy, it looks like it should be easy, but it seems like everyone in our class, including myself, has an extremely good base in scarf (as you should). I think it's everybody's most hated position in our class, people are very good at maintaining it, and working slowly into a submission.

Kawlinz -- yeah BJJ guys tend to underestimate the scarf. It certainly has problems if you're not very good at applying, but it's pretty good if you know what you're doing.

Twisted -- since we're talking one guy, what is his leg length compared to your torso?

TheHighlander said:
Kawlinz -- yeah BJJ guys tend to underestimate the scarf. It certainly has problems if you're not very good at applying, but it's pretty good if you know what you're doing.

Twisted -- since we're talking one guy, what is his leg length compared to your torso?

I can actually submit my opponents when I have the head and arm position because I am able to effectively distribute my weight to crush their chests.

I don't consider it high percentage as a finisher, but I do use it to wear him down. I also have a high percentage reversal, at least with everybody who has attempted it in the past couple of years. I prefer to finish with the keylock (legs) or inverted triangle.

TheHighlander said:

uh...you mean like, actual length?...Ive never measured the body parts of my rolling partners before!....why do you ask?......its tight, thats all I know.

Back