submissions while in the hooks

well if he crosses his feet you can get a footlock. thats about it

there are other fancy leglocks from there but i havent really seen a high success rate with any of them.

you can try to dig the point of your elbow into his shin while grabbing his foot to hold his leg in place (hurts, but I don't know if it's enough to submit him).

you can try the armbar, I think sakuraba pulls it off while rolling with the Chute Boxe guys on a Pride promotional video.

Bas Rutten shows a lot of moves on his DVDs, but it kind of relies on strength (like armbar using your neck or shoulder as a fulcrum point).

I don't agree with people saying these submissions are useless. Sure, you will probably not get the submission, but it might open up other oportunities, and it's always good to surprise your oponent with something he might not know, and throw him of his game.

sha said:
you can try to dig the point of your elbow into his shin while grabbing his foot to hold his leg in place (hurts, but I don't know if it's enough to submit him).

you can try the armbar, I think sakuraba pulls it off while rolling with the Chute Boxe guys on a Pride promotional video.

Bas Rutten shows a lot of moves on his DVDs, but it kind of relies on strength (like armbar using your neck or shoulder as a fulcrum point).

I don't agree with people saying these submissions are useless. Sure, you will probably not get the submission, but it might open up other oportunities, and it's always good to surprise your oponent with something he might not know, and throw him of his game.

where did you see this pride promotional video?

I downloaded it from some place, but I deleted it. let me download it again and then I'll put it on yousendit.

It was probably part of the japanese broadcast for the last Pride, the part where they give background on the fighters. It shows Saku "starting over" (since that was their theme) at Chute Boxe, but doesn't show much except that armbar.

when he sinks the hooks choose a side and fall towards that side, holding his thigh to the ground, th dig your elbow on the space between his calf and his shin, and with that same hand hold his toes, then pull the foot with both hands as you dig the elbow. This surprises some people

Grab a foot, get their hook out, and spin in to a leglock. Straight ankle would probably be easiest. Although this is probably extremely hard to do.

I read an article about Bart Vale of all people, and he went through that elbow shinlock while back mounted and also another move, where you are on your stomach with him on your back and tilt forwards, making him slide down towards your head as much as possible. He then grabbed the back of his opponents head/neck with both hands, yanking it forwards and down against his shoulder, making sort of a neck crank. If he didn't get the neck crank he could at least pull him off his back. It's probably not a very high percentage move, but it might be worth a try.

Half Boston Crab said:
I read an article about Bart Vale of all people, and he went through that elbow shinlock while back mounted and also another move, where you are on your stomach with him on your back and tilt forwards, making him slide down towards your head as much as possible. He then grabbed the back of his opponents head/neck with both hands, yanking it forwards and down against his shoulder, making sort of a neck crank. If he didn't get the neck crank he could at least pull him off his back. It's probably not a very high percentage move, but it might be worth a try.
I use dto roll with a 250lb bjj blue belt who would always do this one to me, he was so damn strong there was no way i could stay on his back.

another move, where you are on your stomach with him on your back and tilt forwards, making him slide down towards your head as much as possible. He then grabbed the back of his opponents head/neck with both hands, yanking it forwards and down against his shoulder, making sort of a neck crank. If he didn't get the neck crank he could at least pull him off his back. It's probably not a very high percentage move, but it might be worth a try.

Actually Half, that is a pretty effective escape from the back mount with hooks in. It is done in wrestling ALL THE TIME when the opponent does not stay under your arms like when they are hunting the rear naked choke.
This is why when you see wrestlers with 2 hooks in they keep their arms under your armpits...

try to attack the wrists, but don't hope to get anyone with it, but it could setup an escape...

bammann45 said:
step 1: escape back mount.
step 2: achieve a dominant position.
step 3: submit him.
Follow this advice man. I know you want to know a few submissions with someone on your back, but chances are you are going to get submitted going for one, because you will forget to defend your neck, or leave an arm out.

I believe there is a footlock if his ankles are crossed low enough on your body, and there is also a kneebar that you can go for. You would need to have solid control of at least one of your opponents wrists though, so that you don't get RNC'd.

Half Boston Crab said:

actually the neck crank works extremely well for me i havent had anyone able to stay on top when i use this move

Oh Just to clarify my prior post. The way to get him to slide down towards your head when he has hooks in is to get your ass up as high as you can and also get your forehead down on the mat. If he is going for the choke he should slide down towards your head.. Its then a simple matter of reaching over your own head , grabbing theirs and bucking a little..The tend to flop right off of you and you generally end up in north south.

8 months training and you don't know how to escape the back? Just ask Igor or Rolles when they teach. Magno also would help.

What sometimes works is just grabbing the upper foot/toes and pulling to rotate his toes towards your face... but doing anything while being rearmounted makes you vulnerable to RNC... so rather escape than trying to submit.

The Armlock that Saku does in the Pride Promotional Video is done without being hooked I think. He is more in Kesa-Gatame.

You people are stupid if he wants to try a submission lik that so be it, if you know something help him out. Simple as that, we know its "stupid" to try it, but what if for some reason he CANT get out, and needs to try a submission to get someone off him? You never know what will happen and it will never hurt to know what to do when that time comes.

Back