Submissions 101: Your opinion.

Any free online resources are positive. Those one minute technique videos aren't really that helpful, and I would bet they do little more than produce a new generation of crapplers, but the more the merrier I guess.

guys lets not shit on them that much. They never claim to be experts, they just share techniques they have learned in seminars/dvds/privates ect.

I was just recently checking out these guys videos. They admittedly not BJJ black belts, rather JJJ black belts who have studied a ton of different arts. They have close to 200 videos on youtube describing many techniques. From the few random ones I've checked out, they seem to be pretty good and pretty accurate to how I've learned most of these techniques. Does anyone know anything about these guys? Are they legit grapplers despite no BJJ ranking? Do you guys think the techs they display are pretty good?

Thanks.

they're cool, and they know their stuff. they do a good amount of training with eddie bravo

I think the techniques they show are pretty good...I like there site! They dont seem arrogant so I feel they are just sharing their skill of BJJ with others....nothing wrong with that!

guys lets not shit on them that much. They never claim to be experts, they just share techniques they have learned in seminars/dvds/privates ect.

Not trying to shit on them at all. Just pointing out there is a stark contrast between knowing BJJ techniques and knowing BJJ. I commend them for their honesty of not pretending to be something they are not and appreciate the website they put together. I just was expecting them to look better when they rolled. I used to learn from a guy who learned "techniques" from videos. I thought he was awesome cuz he had so many great moves. Problem was he knew nothing of basic control, transtions, etc. The things that make BJJ work. Once I started training real BJJ I realized there was a big difference. Also, some of the techs they show have glaring mistakes or pieces missing. I would be surprised if Ari or Dan could hang with our higher white belts, let alone blues. Just my .02 cents.

Good site for technique reference.

But my big problem with those guys, is the videos they have of them choking their students unconcious. I don't care how experienced you are, wether it's voluntary, or what the purpose is. Choking out students on video "just to see" is pretty dumb in my opinion.

i changed my mind... after watching ther latest sparring vid.. i think that the instructors are low blue belts.

love the site. has alot of usefull techniques. love the eddie bravo section.

http://www.submissions101.com/throws3.htm

http://www.submissions101.com/leglocks6.htm

http://www.submissions101.com/chokes4.htm

http://www.submissions101.com/strategies27.htm

http://www.submissions101.com/strategies20.htm

These are some things that I consider questionable. That kid BMA_Matt put out a decent instructional and he was wearing a white belt so everyone talked shit (BEFORE they found his blog)

This guy just grabs a black belt and starts talking about ground grappling techniques and he doesnt have to answer to anyone. He doesnt have to prove his skill, just show static techniques, and a lot of times he explains them in a way that hints he is a novice at them. I dont like the double standard. Everyone just looks at the belt. Kristian Geraci could run an MMA gym and say he is a blackbelt in JJJ and he could have avoided all of his problems.

Im all for sharing knowledge, but I strongly believe that the demonstration of techniques should be left to people who truly know them, not just in theory, but in practice. If I was to do a youtube vid I would demonstrate a technique that I know in and out and use often. Not some trick I just learned.

The sub 101 guys have a lot of fans, so more power to them, but I will never like them. The truth is, I dont like it when they say the Japanese names of techniques for authenticity and than butcher the pronunciation. That gets me angrier than seeing sloppy rolling vids. Everyone has their pet peeves; that's mine.

i think that you're being a bit harsh on them. I too had an issue with them wearing black belts with bjj gis... their response was something like "I am a black belt in my system and korals are a grappling uniform" or something to that matter.

How do we know if that system is reputable? His purple belts are just as qualified as Christian Geraci's IMO.

Belts are always subjective. It's up to individuals to form their opinions, and I've formed mine.

If you saw those links I posted and this guy was a Gracie Barra white belt as opposed to a random JJJ blackbelt, would you still consider my statements harsh?

i think that what he meant was something like " i do jiu jitsu" and is a black belt in traditional jiu jitsu... do i agree with this? no.

Ari is an awesome teacher, I can atest to that (train there, haven't been in a couple months)and that some of the moves are a bit useless (they're options, but I'd rather get better at the basics first). The dojo is starting to go through the transition to a more grappling gym than the more traditional JJJ it was a year ago.

what is the name of the japanese style that he trained in before?

Back