Submissions 101: Your opinion.

http://www.submissions101.com/throws3.htm

http://www.submissions101.com/leglocks6.htm

http://www.submissions101.com/chokes4.htm

http://www.submissions101.com/strategies27.htm

http://www.submissions101.com/strategies20.htm

These are some things that I consider questionable. That kid BMA_Matt put out a decent instructional and he was wearing a white belt so everyone talked shit (BEFORE they found his blog)

This guy just grabs a black belt and starts talking about ground grappling techniques and he doesnt have to answer to anyone. He doesnt have to prove his skill, just show static techniques, and a lot of times he explains them in a way that hints he is a novice at them. I dont like the double standard. Everyone just looks at the belt. Kristian Geraci could run an MMA gym and say he is a blackbelt in JJJ and he could have avoided all of his problems.

Im all for sharing knowledge, but I strongly believe that the demonstration of techniques should be left to people who truly know them, not just in theory, but in practice. If I was to do a youtube vid I would demonstrate a technique that I know in and out and use often. Not some trick I just learned.

The sub 101 guys have a lot of fans, so more power to them, but I will never like them. The truth is, I dont like it when they say the Japanese names of techniques for authenticity and than butcher the pronunciation. That gets me angrier than seeing sloppy rolling vids. Everyone has their pet peeves; that's mine.

I do like some of their videos. Their teaching style reminds me a lot of Pedro Sauer's teaching style; although, I think Pedro Sauer jiu-jitsu is much, much better. Pedro is very traditional with his techniques. I don't personally agree with everything Pedro does, but I think his method is just as valid as any other school and I still use a lot of it in my jiu-jitsu. So I like their teaching style, but some of their moves seem to be intermediate at best. The base style for the submission 101 guys is Daitō-ryū Aiki-jūjutsu (basically aikido without the religious part) and aikido. It emphasizes using almost no external strength ("aiki" approach). This is apparent in their videos. Judo or wrestling instead promote using a "relaxed intensity" - i.e. using power at the right times with proper leverage. I've seen both extremes in BJJ practitioners (and among wrestler and judoka too), but moreso the relaxed intensity approach than the aiki approach.

That said, those videos that you linked to do indeed look like a bunch of traditional jiu-jitsu practitioners trying BJJ and 10th Planet JJ. They don't really have much experience training with either local BJJ practitioners or Eddie Bravo, according to people I've talked to. They promote BJJ and Bravo's system a lot amongst eager newbies to the sport, so I don't expect them to face much reprisal. Furthermore, they aren't faking their black belts. They publically acknowledge their background generally. They seem like good guys with the right heart and intermediate skills (by their own estimation, and I agree at a glance).

However, they are being a little deceptive too. They wear BJJ gis with their JJJ black belts, and are sponsored by a BJJ clothing company. They are not very specific about their background on their web site too. In fact, they always list BJJ and 10th planet JJ at the top of their training resume; even though, it does not form the majority of their experience or formal instruction to my knowledge. Also, A good thread about their lineage was deleted. There was nothing wrong about that thread; indeed it strengthened their view in my eyes by being so honest and clearing the air about their training background. Deleting it looks bad. They have nothing to hide. I get the vibe that all the non-emphasis is for marketing reasons. I can understand that, but I certainly can not agree with it especially when it runs counter to their own philosophies about training - namely, that they are proud of their lineage and that their aiki ju jutsu background is just as good as an intermediate BJJ background.

I agree with you about those videos that were posted. Some issues and comments on them:
  • That osoto gari video was pretty bad. It looked like he just learned it off of Dan Camarillo's nogi (far superior) osoto gari video, but that he didn't understand the technique that well. His grips were all no-gi grips. He wasn't hip to hip and he wasn't pulling himself to his opponent or kuzushing him very well. He didn't reap very well either. It was a little too upright and I didn't think his base seemed very stable.

• The anaconda choke video was also poor. He has no pressure on his opponent at all. You should be sprawled out when over his turtle to prevent a takedown and to keep him there. The first variation is low-percentage. I didn't see anything wrong with the dump except that it looked clumsy. His gator roll was inept. You don't roll onto you head in the move, instead you roll your head through that hole on his opponent's right side between the leg and the trapped arm. This gives you momentum to finish the roll on your own side as you circle your body towards his legs while tightening the choke.

• In the toe-hold video, that white guy's posture was poor. That wasn't the focus of the video, though. I don't think he isolated the leg very well either, but quickly cranking that move, that way, at the white belt level, could destroy their opponent's knees. I guess it is a good move, but dangerous at the level where it would work the best (because the legs are controlled well. When I was visiting NJMA last week, Marco taught a better variation where you roll over your shoulder and isolating each leg before finishing. Like the other two videos, it looked like they were too mechanical while missing key details.

• I usually do the s-mount differently than what they do. In fact, I do it much the same way Aesopian does s-mount. I do something called technical mount, but differently than how they show it too. Their s-mount is like a fusion of s-mount and technical mount. I don't see how they can maintain control there easily.

• Regarding Complicated vs Simple Jiu Jitsu Moves, I agree to an extent. The basics always work. You win matches first and foremost with good basics. Complicated moves build off of the basics. It sounded like he needed a paradigm shift. Instead he should think in terms of fundamental principles. As you get better at BJJ, you learn to apply those principles better and think in that "language." Using combos, using "complex" moves... These things are just different applications of the fundamental principles. Overall his video sounded more a little bit like an ad for 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu too. It wasn't wrong, but I would have emphasized things differently.
There is a thread about this specific thread on his own forum too, BTW. I was going to reply the above in any case, but their comments on their thread gives me hope they read my critique and make changes to their web site and presentation, as well as their instructional videos. I also suggest that they put aside their black belts and start training BJJ or judo at a local school. They can continue to have their own school and teach there too, but it takes a lot of humility and respect to start back at the white belt in another martial art. Even if they feel rank in BJJ is not worth it for them, they should feel it is worth it for BJJ since they claim to teach it.

The head instructor should not wear his black belt with a bjj gi. It's false advertising and he knows it.

I get the same vibe from these guys as I get from the new crop of "MMA conditioning coaches" Amazon emails me about. I run their names through SD and FCfighter, and get nothing. Who needs to put in the time for credibility when you can fake the funk for quick cash?

I met this guy at a seminar. He strutted around like some celeb and was swinging from Eddie Barvo's junk the whole time.

They are just wannabe grappling experts. I can bet that they watching some BJJ instructional right before they tape their own tehnique. when you open their site, or watch movies, first impresion is that they are BJJ guys, they act like they are, they try to make image of themself as bjj experts.

as i said before.. i think that their hearts are in the right place. But i ask this.. How would ari feel if some bjj guy wore a traditional JJJ kimono with a black belt or an outfit that gives the perception that he is at a black belt lvl and showed a bunch of throws/wrist locks?

Hey Everyone:

I first want to thank Mike (armbarking) for taking the time to come on over and post on our site. I won't rehash it here (of you want to read it, come on over and do so).

Simply put:
1) You guys have valid points and I will continue to improve and shape the website in the right direction
2) Of course not everyone one will like what we do. Yes, there are flaws. I'm not perfect.
3) I am a fan/student of grappling and jiu jitsu. I know a lot of talk has happened over bjj kimono's and JJJ., me wearing both (for the record, my koral and Vulkan gis are the best I've ever had and if you know anything of TMA gis, you know they suck! These companies are in business of providing martial arts gis. There is a leap in logic when I wear it with my BB and making the conclussion that I am something else. HOWEVER, I know can see why some of you take issue with this.)
4) I am all about helping each other out and making this art/sport grow. Be it BJJ, JJJ, sub wrestling or whatever, I really love the game.
5) I am taking the points that Frodo and armbarking made to make my site better and address the issues at hand.
6) This is an OPEN INVITATION to any of you that want to make videos for submissions 101. If you have a technique and want to do a video for us, please send it on over. The GOAL of the site was to make a FREE jiu jitsu and grappling site. We all have questions, we all look at video. Why not share with one another. There are 1000's of people that visit, from noobs to BBs. If the community is as open as it claims, shouldn't we all help one another.
7) I'm not a bad guy nor am I trying to pass myself off as a "Khristian G" fellow. I really just want to offer technqiues to everyone.

Well, that's it.

All the best to you guys and gals.

peace
Ari

Hey Everyone:

I first want to thank Mike (armbarking) for taking the time to come on over and post on our site. I won't rehash it here (of you want to read it, come on over and do so).

Simply put:
1) You guys have valid points and I will continue to improve and shape the website in the right direction
2) Of course not everyone one will like what we do. Yes, there are flaws. I'm not perfect.
3) I am a fan/student of grappling and jiu jitsu. I know a lot of talk has happened over bjj kimono's and JJJ., me wearing both (for the record, my koral and Vulkan gis are the best I've ever had and if you know anything of TMA gis, you know they suck! These companies are in business of providing martial arts gis. There is a leap in logic when I wear it with my BB and making the conclussion that I am something else. HOWEVER, I know can see why some of you take issue with this.)
4) I am all about helping each other out and making this art/sport grow. Be it BJJ, JJJ, sub wrestling or whatever, I really love the game.
5) I am taking the points that Frodo and armbarking made to make my site better and address the issues at hand.
6) This is an OPEN INVITATION to any of you that want to make videos for submissions 101. If you have a technique and want to do a video for us, please send it on over. The GOAL of the site was to make a FREE jiu jitsu and grappling site. We all have questions, we all look at video. Why not share with one another. There are 1000's of people that visit, from noobs to BBs. If the community is as open as it claims, shouldn't we all help one another.
7) I'm not a bad guy nor am I trying to pass myself off as a "Khristian G" fellow. I really just want to offer technqiues to everyone.

Well, that's it.

All the best to you guys and gals.

peace
Ari

Read the thread on your site. It looks like you have a solid group of well meaning guys ready to protect you from teh evil BJJ police.

What I dont like is how all the posts have become blurred. Single negative statements have been taken from a lot of posters here and have been used to form one imaginary character that permeats this forum.

Lets be clear. I dont care what style you use. If you saw my sig, you would know that. If you want to be ranked in BJJ or 10 planet JJ or whatever be my guest. I dont care. If you can do an armbar properly with as an akido black belt than everything would be fine. Their is no reason to train in another art when your art is already sufficient.

Whether Daito-aiki Jiujitsu is sufficient enough is a topic for a different forum.

Do I think your presentations are misleading? Kind of. Do I think you should stop? Nope. Someone here asked what I thought and I posted my opinion. Tell your followers that I am in the minority and if they are going to critique my opinion they should get it right.

I dont care that you dont train BJJ often. I dont care that your website sells BJJ gear. I dont care that you are Canadian. Your Japanese pronunciation is my thingl (the way some people dont like it when people snap their fingers in their instructionals). I DID acknowledge that your website is free. I DO see your vids when I stumble across them on a search, but I don't look for them and I NEVER go to your website. I went this particular time because Youtube was down and I wanted to explain my opinion. I did not make any personal attacks, and I don't plan to. I am a BJJ practitioner, but I am not an elitist and I say things that alienate myself from the hardcore BJJ community on a regular basis.

Technique wise, I will say this. Their are best ways to do things independant of body type. Saying "thats just my style, yours will be better for you" is good up to a point. After a while it becomes a cop out. Their are situations where car accident victims survived only because they weren't buckled up. Does that make seat belts a bad idea?

There is a wrong way to do things.

I would wreck Ari in a no gi match. Make him look stupid like his techniques

Thanks for posting here Mr. Bolden.

I have read the thread on your forum and would like to point out something to support my point of view.

I don't think anyone on here is truly bashing you, except for some trolls that are unavoidable.

I posted before, stating my viewpoint and after reading all you had to say, I still feel the same way.

Do I think you are hurting the grappling community?

Not at all.

Do I think you should consider what videos to really put out there?

Yes I do.

You have mentioned yourself, talking about the quality of some of your older videos:

Ari Bolden said:
I could have done that better or pointed out that step.

This is my whole point, why would you teach something on video that you are not 100% sure about. It just doesn't make sense to me.

You also said:

Ari Bolden said:
The ability to demonstrate and break down techniques in under 2 minutes is what I do. Could I teach a flying armbar? Yes. Could I pull it off in a match? Prob not (not my style anyways ) Does that make the teaching worthless because you can't do it on a regualr basis? I think not. Rickson Gracie could show us how to do a star sweep but he may rarely, if ever, use it. Does it make the technique itself moot because it isn't used by him?

No it doesn't, but the HUGE difference is that can tell you all the details about it and actually pull it off if he wanted too.
He has most likely done the move 500 times already in his life.

This is what a teacher should be. If he teaches me something, I want to be confident that he could turn around and sub me with it in sparring 5 minutes later.

It is not only about knowing what the technique should look like, but the subtleties.

It is not about where the grips are and which part of your body to use where in a sweep, it is about imperceptible shifts in weight.
Can you teach me that?

Judging from the Osoto Gari vid, I would say NO, as you are missing the most important detail in that vid, which is where to put your weight and his weight.

So I will mirror the sentiment of one of the people in YOUR forum that you asked to help with producing some Judo vids (as he is a Judo blackbelt).

He said:

badkarmarising said:
When I think about making throwing videos, I feel a little embarrassed even considering it. There are so many great throwing DVD's by world class players that I don't think I could add anything that wouldn't seem amateurish.

Lastly, you close with
Ari Bolden said:
Lastly, as I keep saying " Why not help the grappling and jiu jitsu community as a whole and try to make things better rather than just sit there and bash away. If you can make a better video, help someone out who might have a question, then do it!"

No, we don't need to do it. There are 100s of instructionals out from people that have dedicated their life to grappling and competed at the highest level.

I will never be able to explain something better than them.

And my only wish is that you ask yourself the question: Can you?

Sincerely

Ben

Thanks for posting here Mr. Bolden.

I have read the thread on your forum and would like to point out something to support my point of view.

I don't think anyone on here is truly bashing you, except for some trolls that are unavoidable.

I posted before, stating my viewpoint and after reading all you had to say, I still feel the same way.

Do I think you are hurting the grappling community?

Not at all.

Do I think you should consider what videos to really put out there?

Yes I do.

You have mentioned yourself, talking about the quality of some of your older videos:

This is my whole point, why would you teach something on video that you are not 100% sure about. It just doesn't make sense to me.

You also said:

No it doesn't, but the HUGE difference is that can tell you all the details about it and actually pull it off if he wanted too.
He has most likely done the move 500 times already in his life.

This is what a teacher should be. If he teaches me something, I want to be confident that he could turn around and sub me with it in sparring 5 minutes later.

It is not only about knowing what the technique should look like, but the subtleties.

It is not about where the grips are and which part of your body to use where in a sweep, it is about imperceptible shifts in weight.
Can you teach me that?

Judging from the Osoto Gari vid, I would say NO, as you are missing the most important detail in that vid, which is where to put your weight and his weight.

So I will mirror the sentiment of one of the people in YOUR forum that you asked to help with producing some Judo vids (as he is a Judo blackbelt).

He said:

Lastly, you close with

No, we don't need to do it. There are 100s of instructionals out from people that have dedicated their life to grappling and competed at the highest level.

I will never be able to explain something better than them.

And my only wish is that you ask yourself the question: Can you?

Sincerely

Ben

BRAVO!

Thank you for posting, Ari. I read the thread on your forum, and it seems my comment about your ego and Eddie Bravo worshiping really pissed you off. It seems to validate my point that one persons random opinion would appear to get you so upset. You neglected to point out that I also wrote that you are a good teacher and that your videos are good for the casual grappler.

One of the biggest complaints people have (the BJJ community) is the use of your JJJ black belt. Perhaps you could simply wear a white belt in your videos. That would show people that you are not a BJJ black belt, and that your ego is in check. After all, Helio Gracie stopped wearing his black belt because he felt it lost its meaning. He wore purple for a while because it was a "pretty" color.

I can appreciate your feeling that BJJ isn't the only grappling art. Obviously the world of grappling is multi dimensional, and the success of practitioners of the different grappling arts in MMA shows that there is more to the grappling world then BJJ. There is nothing wrong with you putting up videos of techniques used in BJJ and I actually think it's great, as it exposes more people to the sport. The sketchy part is when it is obvious you the technique you show looks sloppy or you make a mistake. You are allowed to make mistakes, I certainly do; but as a teacher you have a responsibility to your students to ensure you are teaching them sound technique. I personally would never put out an instructional as I don't feel my grappling game is sound enough. It would be irresponsible (for me).

You are a good teacher and its obvious you have loyal students (who are willing to kick peoples asses for you). I hope you don't let a few negative interweb forum comments get you down. But please realize a lot of valid points have been brought up. You mention that you are going to incorporate some changes based on certain peoples feedback...are you willing to elaborate on that?

/End long post/.

This is a quote from RYAN from the BJJ Gear forum
Ari has the least amount of ego of anyone in North America. He is very humble.With that said....telling him to put on a white belt is an incredible insult. Not because he is too good for that but because he is ranked under Eddie Bravo. He is also ranked in other forms of Jiu-Jitsu. After all, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Gear company logo says to Represent Your Roots.

and this is Ari's response

Ryan, just as a correction, I am yet to be ranked under Eddie, but I suspect that will occur in the next 2 months.

That's what I was worried about. Even his own supporters are confused as to what type of actual BJJ belt he holds. Black? Purple? Blue? Pink?

I don't really see any problem with what these guys are doing.

As far as the uniform/belt thing goes, well they are legitimate black belts in a legitimate system. The fact that they are wearing BJJ gis doesn't faze me much. A non grappling gi just doesn't hold up well when you perform those techniques. When I taught karate, I had a V-neck style gi top that was just wrecked after two years due to ACCIDENTAL grabbing during sparring. It obviously had zero chance of withstanding intentional grabbing. They could wear judo/sambo uniforms, but then wouldn't people say the same thing? The fact is, BJJ/judo/sambo uniforms are the only thing I know of that can handle the stresses of grappling.

As for the techniques, well, they do kind of suck sometimes. But I don't think that's the worst thing in the world. I'm not a subscriber to the "bad habits are worse than no habits at all" theory.

I watched their osoto gari video, and it's not very optimal. But when I first learned osoto gari in karate (we called it "rear reap"), I probably did it in a similar way. Although it's certainly not the best version ever, it was a workable technique. I was able to throw a lot of non-grapplers with it. I think knowing it, even at such a rough level, was helpful to me.

When I started judo and received a lot more detailed instruction on the technique, I don't think my old way really hurt me. In fact, it made it easier for me to learn the details since I already knew the rough idea. I think these videos could help others do the same.

There are definitely better videos out there, but they might not be free, all in one place, taught in that presentation style, etc. So I think their videos can still serve a purpose.

A beginner could get acquainted with some of the concepts from just watching the video. Then if they ask about it in class or try it in sparring, their instructor can fill in the missing details. That seems normal to me.

I'm really trying to be neutral here. Trouble is where you find it and I suspected that if Ari started to make explainations for himself and that the more he said the more risk he was of making a mistake. To opening himself up to attacks for misplaced words and twisted contexts.

He is not doing a "Khristian Geraci", he has never misrepresented himself (I'm pretty cynical when it comes judging that) and his videos are up for criticisim and that comes with the territory of being an instructor.

There have been some very good points brought up here, but I have a few questions for Ari (Submissions 101).

1) Where did you learn the techniques you teach?

You have a host of techniques on your website, and im assuming with no formal BJJ instruction, it'd be very hard to learn alot of the intricate details behind the techniques if you were to only learn them through video instructionals. Giving you the benefit of the doubt im sure you've probably attended a few seminars, but that definately does not make up for real, solid, regular instruction, from the watchful eye of a legitimate BJJ instructor. I honestly dont think you should be teaching moves, let alone through a medium such as the internet, because it can be very easy for the viewer to get a false sense of actually being able to apply techniques that were taught poorly, and with huge lacks of detail in the first place.

2) There are plenty of solid schools in Canada (BTT, Nova Uniao, Gracie Barra, RGDA) that you could easily go to and get really good instruction from them, why have you gone down the Solo route?

I understand that having a very accomplished Martial Arts background like yourself, you probably dont want to have to go through the stages of wearing the white belt again. It is a very humbling experience im sure, but its something that we all have had to do at one point in time. Why do you insist to wear a BJJ gi, AND a JJJ black belt in your videos. I think that if you truly in your heart had the desire to want people to know that you dont have a BJJ background, then possibly you could put it as a disclaimer in the beginning of all of your videos. That way someone interested in BJJ will not confuse what your doing with actual BJJ.

3) Why not go to a real BJJ school in your area, and compete with some of the Blue Belts on up in their academies?

Its very easy to make yourself look good in front of your own students, but dont you at least owe that much to your students, and that much to your internet audience to at least go see for yourself EXACTLY where you stand against other GOOD grapplers?

4) Lastly, do you tell your students that they can wear the belts they get from your school, in other BJJ academies?

I've read that you have kind of "created" your own "system". Normally that wouldnt bother me one bit, but when you start promoting people then it begins to worry me. I find it also Ironic you mention of using the same exact belt ranking system of BJJ (white, blue, purple, brown, black). So that means that people are wearing BJJ Gi's, Getting watered down BJJ Instruction, and being promoted in the same chronological manner as BJJ belts. Do you see why everyone says that the actions of Submissions 101 is misleading? BJJ Sponsors, BJJ gi's, BJJ promotion style, and watered down BJJ Instruction.

Please take no offense to these questions, I just honestly feel that this is something that the public deserves to know.

Well, apparently Ari & Tom have decided to close the thread on their site. I wonder why. I thought there was a good amount of respect being shown and some valid questions that still need answering. So, Ari, can you answer the questions above and also the question I posed on your forum, which I will reitirate;

If I put on a traditional JJJ Kimono and started teaching people JJJ based off of things I learned on DVD and at seminars. If I was often missing key elements to the techniques and mispronouncing the terminology while wearing a JJJ Kimono with my non-descript black belt, would you take offense to it? If I put my "techniques" all over the internet, was sponsored by a JJJ company and had a website called JJJ101, would you consider that an insult to the years you've put into JJJ? Do you think the JJJ community at large would take offense and call me out on it? Please be honest in your response.

Closed the thread? To me that just means that there is guilt in the air. Does every other forum know about whats going on with Submissions 101 debate? I think the public should know that they publicly closed an open debate questioning the validity of their instruction. There is no bashing going on, just questions being asked demanding the truth.

Thank you for posting, Ari. I read the thread on your forum, and it seems my comment about your ego and Eddie Bravo worshiping really pissed you off. It seems to validate my point that one persons random opinion would appear to get you so upset. You neglected to point out that I also wrote that you are a good teacher and that your videos are good for the casual grappler.

One of the biggest complaints people have (the BJJ community) is the use of your JJJ black belt. Perhaps you could simply wear a white belt in your videos. That would show people that you are not a BJJ black belt, and that your ego is in check. After all, Helio Gracie stopped wearing his black belt because he felt it lost its meaning. He wore purple for a while because it was a "pretty" color.

I can appreciate your feeling that BJJ isn't the only grappling art. Obviously the world of grappling is multi dimensional, and the success of practitioners of the different grappling arts in MMA shows that there is more to the grappling world then BJJ. There is nothing wrong with you putting up videos of techniques used in BJJ and I actually think it's great, as it exposes more people to the sport. The sketchy part is when it is obvious you the technique you show looks sloppy or you make a mistake. You are allowed to make mistakes, I certainly do; but as a teacher you have a responsibility to your students to ensure you are teaching them sound technique. I personally would never put out an instructional as I don't feel my grappling game is sound enough. It would be irresponsible (for me).

You are a good teacher and its obvious you have loyal students (who are willing to kick peoples asses for you). I hope you don't let a few negative interweb forum comments get you down. But please realize a lot of valid points have been brought up. You mention that you are going to incorporate some changes based on certain peoples feedback...are you willing to elaborate on that?

/End long post/.

Whew, lots to cover. I will first say that this will be my last post here on Sherdog. I am trying to cover your questions and concerns. Of course, as you all know, every response leads to a counter opinion and response. It takes a lot of time and energy to so. I think some of you are entitled to it however. But I am also aware, even with this post, more questions might arise or it might not sit well with some of you. The use of my time (and yours) is better spent elsewhere. I am not trying to make any of your points moot (except with some of the trolls), so bare with me fellas. This will also fall into a few posts, as I am not sure how to quote everything in one thread.

Tom closed the thread because the issue is closed on our end. I am posting here because this is where it started and I thought it would be easier to for all to see. There are questions, I'll try to answer them. I'll try and be as clear as I can but from what I have seen, forum speak tends to be as clear as mud and the interpretations are numerous.

Ok, let's get to it.

Wrestlebean: If I choose to show a gi choking technique with my BB on and with the koral gi on, and call it a cross lapel choke, this technique is easily found in JJJ and judo as well as BJJ. I am showing this as a jiu jitsu technique since bjj doesn't have a monopoly on it. While I disagree that wearing a koral gi and whereing a belt from JJJ is bad form, and that you'll notice that my BB doesn't have the customary red field on it like BJJ BB, I see, whether I agree or not, that some find this misleading. In order to avoid further ambiguity, I will make sure that if I wear my BB and GI, I will state "Hey guys, this is a JJJ or self defense technique." If I show a ne waza technique, it will more than likely nogi, no belt.

Again, whether you love us or hate us, the site helps a lot of people. They can go over the technique and then bring it back to the mat if they so wish. Just like and 101 course in university, it is to give you an idea...it certainly isn't the end all be all.

My about us section is PRETTY clear and who and what we do. Submissions 101 is about showing jiu jitsu technqiues: this includes the techniques that make jiu jitsu unique and also tie BJJ and JJJ and Judo together: throwing, joint locking, weapons work (in some ryuha), strikes, sweeps and ne waza (ground fighting). I will endevor to make the faq section more clear. Someone pointed out that using Submissions 101 was misleading because the title assumes BJJ. I have to totally disagree on that one. Submissions are used in all Jiu Jitsu styles as well as many other arts.

My hope is to take away some of that ambiguity and I am WELL aware that not everyone will like what we do and that's your right. But I will continue to move along and expanding the site.

with respect
Ari

PS: if you guys could hold off making judgments while I get to these posts, that would be cool. There is a lag in time while I write these diatribes. cheers!Darcebrabo, closing a thread is by no means an admission of guilt ( or sliencde for that matter, WHICH, I am not taking) and that is a leap in logic. Just hold your horses while I get to this stuff.

Back