Submissions 101: Your opinion.

armbarking

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was just recently checking out these guys videos. They admittedly not BJJ black belts, rather JJJ black belts who have studied a ton of different arts. They have close to 200 videos on youtube describing many techniques. From the few random ones I've checked out, they seem to be pretty good and pretty accurate to how I've learned most of these techniques. Does anyone know anything about these guys? Are they legit grapplers despite no BJJ ranking? Do you guys think the techs they display are pretty good?

Thanks.

Personally I like their site and tutorials.

But that is just my opinion.

They're very good friends with Eddie Bravo, even having a special section of him teaching. Also, they've posted vids of them rolling, so you can see just how good they are. I say they're legit, as grappling != BJJ.

I want to like them, but I dont.

Anyway, they put out tons of free instructionals. Even if I dont think a lot of them are great, I cant really complain to much.

i like this site a lot.
if it wasn't 4 submissions 101 i would have been ignorant 2 all wrestling when i went 2 mma 4 my first day. But i learned some stuff that helps.
I still like going on there. I like a lot of there no gi stuff.

Based on personal experience, I don't care much for JJJ. That being said that Ari guy seems to be a good teacher. From what I gather he does seem to have a pretty big ego and an Eddie Bravo worshipping problem. He likes to put of videos of "cool" stuff, much of which is not that effective. He also had a move called the B.O.L.T. lock he named after himself which is just a reverse triangle that I learned in class months before he "invented" it.

Enough hating. I've watched a bunch of his videos and think they're great for the casual grappler to pick up some tips and tricks. I just won't be booking him for one of his seminars anytime soon.

I've watched a fair amount of their vids, some good stuff in their and then also some questionable things (bad positioning, strange choice of limb control...etc) But either way it's nice they put out so much for free

havent watched much of their stuff because the first video i saw was showing some sloppy wide open crappyness

They're alright, I always questioned if they were really BJJ BB's, but the TS answered my question.

i like this site a lot.
if it wasn't 4 submissions 101 i would have been ignorant 2 all wrestling when i went 2 mma 4 my first day. But i learned some stuff that helps.
I still like going on there. I like a lot of there no gi stuff.

you suck

their techniques section is legit. Honestly i don't know how good they are. They seem to reproduce techniques that they have seen and learned very well... As for how good they are... It's hard to tell from their sparring vids.. My guess is depending on the school it would be a kind of blue with different stripes.

A few things.

I asked them what belt they were in bjj on their youtube page and they answered that they don't have a belt. After i said something "oh ok" they deleted my question and their responce.

we had a few polite pm's and they seem to have their hearts in the right place.

another interesting thing, they don't consider eddie bravo's jiu jitsu bjj.. Either eddie said that he doesn't teach bjj or they don't consider eddie bjj. Can anyone from eddie's school answer this?

Does eddie consider what he teaches to be bjj?

some stuff is good, but others are not so practical or odd in application.

Ari is ranked in Eddies system, and will be starting a 10th planet in Victoria. Ari is a great teacher, and the reason he has some flashy moves is because people on his forum request to be shown something and he does it.

as i said before: it seems like his heart is in the right place and he has the ability to regurgitate techniques extremely well on camera... which is a talent in itself.

They explain them just fine, I have yet to see a serious problem with any of the videos. Pretty good stuff.

A quick follow up on my own thread. I hadn't watched before, but I just got done watching their "Grappling Match 1-4" videos and I have to say, they don't look very good. The guy Dan makes some real basic mistakes and Ari looks to be about blue belt level at best.

In match 3 & 4 they have Dan "toying" with a white belt. The white belt wearing a gi vs. Dan wearing a rash guard (a bit unfair circumstances to start). Anyway, Dan wins, but doesn't really look like he would even be at blue belt level. His positions and transitions are sloppy to say the least and the white belt looks like first day material. At one point Dan is in mount and the cameraman tells Dan to "watch the armbar". What armbar is available for the guy on bottom mount to get on a guy on top mount? You'd have to really suck to get armbarred while mounted on someone. It reminded me of watching the Karate guys practicing "grappling" on the mat next to us. Terrible. Just terrible.

I will say this; it appears they have learned techniques well. In other words, it seems that they are good at remembering and regurgitating techniques shown to them in a relatively detailed manner. However, their basic positioning, control and transitions really suck. I appreciate them for the online resource they provide, but now I have to question the legitimacy of the techniques they are showing.

No wonder it's free...

Their vids are short, straight to the point.

I enjoy watching them, although they lack alot of details, and they sometimes make the technique appear too simple and easy.

Back