Subjectivity in Rogan's commentating

This. Every punch that lands its automatic...OH HE IS HURT MIKE, MIKE HE IS REALLY HURT!!! MAN THAT GUY HITS HARD!!!!

Every time someone tries a sub....OH ITS TIGHT MIKE, ITS OVER MIKE....and then they slip out without problem.

Every time someone stumbles a bit...OH HE IS ROCKED MIKE, HE IS SO OUT OF IT, HE IS DONE MIKE....MIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE HE IS DONE...oh wait no he isn't.

Listen to other commentators like Stann, Mir, Miletich or even Jimmy Smith and see how they are not using hyperboles for every single punch. I try to ignore Rogan as much as I can but he is just too loud. Wish there was a "Rogan off" button.

Except for in the Cerrone - Jury fight for instance - When Joe gave a perfect breakdown of Donalds submission attempts in the first round. Cerrone went for several submissions, and was close to getting a couple and every time Joe gave a perfect breakdown of what Cerrone was doing, and what Jury did to prevent it from working.

It's obvious you're doing a great job of ignoring Rogan, because if you payed closer attention, you would realize you're exaggerating quite a bit.

I don't think Joe really gives a shit anymore, just roots for his guy nowadays

But it wasn't. Which made Joe right and Varner wrong.

9291_cdac.jpeg

I agree TS but it worked the other way in the Gus fight. Rogan was shocked at seeing someone not get smashed by Bones so really overplayed how well Gus was doing.

In this fight with Cormier, I think he was shocked at how well Bones was doing in the clinch so it made him gush too much about Bones.

If he has an idea how the fight should go and it turns out to be slightly different. He goes overboard. Sonnen vs Bisping was the worst ever. He made out that Bisping was winning just because he wasn't getting ragdolled.

But it wasn't. Which made Joe right and Varner wrong.

If you just look at the judges and treat their scoring as absolute truth, then it's hard to argue with you.

Ah I can give or take him.. I do like him though.. Brian Stann is a good commentator!

He talked about a lot of things landing big for both fighters in Jones/Cormier that either flat out didn't land, or were at best grazing shots.

To be fair, he says this stuff immediately as the fight is happening.

He likely doesn't know that they missed, because there are plenty of shots that look like they landed only to find out they didn't when seen from another angle (remember, he is sitting stationary next to the cage)

Except for in the Cerrone - Jury fight for instance - When Joe gave a perfect breakdown of Donalds submission attempts in the first round. Cerrone went for several submissions, and was close to getting a couple and every time Joe gave a perfect breakdown of what Cerrone was doing, and what Jury did to prevent it from working.

It's obvious you're doing a great job of ignoring Rogan, because if you payed closer attention, you would realize you're exaggerating quite a bit.

He is literally screaming in my ear every time someone tries to finish a sub. Wraping around someones neck or trying to lock up a D'arce choke is not the reason to go ape shit. Next time Rogan is on the card count how many times he goes crazy over sub that was not even close.

Guadinot had some weak standing triangle on Horiguchi and Rogan went ape shit like Horiguchi was out cold with blue face. OHHH ITS SOOOOOO TIGHT MIKE. STANDING TRIANGLE MIKE, HE GOT IT, ITS LOCKED...and then nothing. He does that all the time.

Yeah he can breakdown ground game, every good commentator does that. In fact any person who trained BJJ can do that. But he goes crazy for every single thing that happens in there.

Last edited:
If you just look at the judges and treat their scoring as absolute truth, then it's hard to argue with you.

It IS the absolute truth when it comes to determine what the actual scores were leading in to the fifth.

And btw, as you probably know, even Cormiers corner didn't have it 2-2 either.

It IS the absolute truth when it comes to determine what the actual scores were leading in to the fifth.

And btw, as you probably know, even Cormiers corner didn't have it 2-2 either.

You know, I'm not saying it absolutely was 2-2. I said it could be ;)
The fight was close (up to 5th round I mean). Varner seeing it 2-2 wasn't ridiculous by any means to me. Many people saw the fight 48-47.
But I'm not against 4-1 to Jones either. I'm fine with both.

True. I've always found it to be a bit of a conflict of interests for the promotion to enlist its own commentators. In boxing it's the networks not the promotions who employ the commentators and often you'll hear a lot more balanced and critical commentary as a result. Of course, it's not as if the networks don't have their own agendas and people they want to push themselves, so it quickly becomes obvious that there will always be some bias and pre-conceived push for someone, but I think one could hope for more tempered biases than what have gotten from Rogan as of late.

It can go both ways. Most of the boxing I've watched has been international fights (primarily Kessler), and there is a world of difference between what local and foreign commentators can say about the same fight. Rogan is a decent commentator when he's being objective, I think a large part of the problem stems from the fact that there isn't a real play-by-play announcer which lets Rogan steal the show.

At least in the ground fighting department they should have mandatory earphones for every fan in the arena so they could listen to joe rogan and learn something. Maybe that way they would stop booing everytime the fight stops resembling a bar fight.

Rogan doesn't really offer insight or analysis unless they're on the ground. Otherwise he just narrates "punch by Jones", which I can see for myself

Back