Subjectivity in Rogan's commentating

I think he tries to point out possible injuries far too much. When Cormier got tripped in the first round, he immediately started going on about Cormier's knee landing funny. He often does this when he sees a fighter not throwing a certain hand as much as well.

True. I've always found it to be a bit of a conflict of interests for the promotion to enlist its own commentators. In boxing it's the networks not the promotions who employ the commentators and often you'll hear a lot more balanced and critical commentary as a result. Of course, it's not as if the networks don't have their own agendas and people they want to push themselves, so it quickly becomes obvious that there will always be some bias and pre-conceived push for someone, but I think one could hope for more tempered biases than what have gotten from Rogan as of late.

They probably have some high level design like "Joe, treat the audience like they're all at your house watching the fights but they don't know much about MMA" ... and it probably hasn't been updated in a while

Rogan is not that bright, must be from all the pot.

He's a million times smarter than you. lol

Every single play by play guy i've ever seen shows bias at times. Miletich, Jimmy Smith, Bas. They all have done it.

Rogan does it the worst but that's because his ego is out of control but intelligence? He's incredibly smart.

I turn the sound off ever since Aldo/Edgar fight.

He talked about a lot of things landing big for both fighters in Jones/Cormier that either flat out didn't land, or were at best grazing shots. A big problem with Rogan is that he likes to stick to a certain pre-conceived narrative when he commentates (which is hard to avoid for anyone, I know, but it's something that really pervades Rogan's commentary more than others) and that often involves distorting events to fit said narrative.

Beautiful post.

I hadn't previously thought that about Rogan until the last Hendricks vs, Lawlor fight. He was definitely pumping up Hendricks and downplaying Lawlor. I'll admit the judges did surprise me on that one though. In a good way...

If his favorite fighter is different that yours, then listening to him is like a pain in the ass :)

Well.. It's always 50% chance so.. I can live with it :)

Otherwise he's doing great job, and there is not better commentator in UFC at the moment.

Bro buy the spanish/portuguese/french or japanese audio option if you can. Its wonderful!

Rogan's title should be Fanboy.

Dan Hardy does much better.

And Dom Cruz should be the future #1 commentator.

I really do wish there was an option to turn off commentary. Won't happen but I can dream.

I try to listen for the bias that people here talk about, I really don't hear it. Maybe I'm just not as influenced as some claim he has the ability to do.

I'm with you. I love how the guy who straight up tells his close friend he's not a good fighter somehow can't put bias aside when commentating. And there's absolutely no rationale for why he would be biased toward one guy over another, either. So the whole thing is just one of those things where it's so clear Rogan is the best commentator in MMA history by a fucking landslide, you you just gotta throw your hands in in the air when you hear shit like this and say, "oh, Sherdog! You goofy bastards."

He is so biased these days. Thinking he is only commenting for MMA newbies and casuals. While the seasoned fan who knows what he/she is watching has to translate everything he says into:

Rogan: HUGE body kick...
Translationg: couldve been huge but was blocked

Rogan: Nasty elbows
Translation: No power gracing shots.

etc etc.... rly annoying.

I believe DC won the fight - but Joes commentary swayed the Judges.

Also, Joe talked about DC getting tired, and someone texted Jones' corner that Joe said DC was tired and struggling. Joe shouldn't be allowed to talk about whats happening in the corner, it gives the other corner inside information.

/satire

I'm not a big critic or fan of Joe Rogan, but after viewing the Jones-Cormier fight, I do wonder whether his commentating is too subjective in noting which fighter is doing more damage.

I just remember him commenting that Jones continual elbows to DC in the clinch were so deadly and ghastly. But he had a far weaker reaction to DC's uppercut in the clinch, as if they were less severe.

I am no expert, but I would guess the uppercuts were at least as forceful as the elbows. But it is easy to get wrapped in Rogan's subjective take and possibly get a skewed outlook on fights.

Rogan is often called.out for favoring fighters just because he apparently likes them better. But I also find problematic his personal views on which tactics allegedly hurt the most or are most effective. I thought in this case that DC deserved more credit than he received.

ibkgZi3PdhDJlP.jpg

;)
I agree with you TS.

I think people are either jealous of Joe, or just looking for something to complain about.

But it's like that in any sport, no matter who the commentator is you have 1000 people sitting in their parents basement calling the guy a retard saying they could do a better job.

He talked about a lot of things landing big for both fighters in Jones/Cormier that either flat out didn't land, or were at best grazing shots. A big problem with Rogan is that he likes to stick to a certain pre-conceived narrative when he commentates (which is hard to avoid for anyone, I know, but it's something that really pervades Rogan's commentary more than others) and that often involves distorting events to fit said narrative.

This. Every punch that lands its automatic...OH WHAT A HUGE SHOT MIKE, MIKE HE IS REALLY HURT!!! MAN THAT GUY HITS HARD!!!!

Every time someone tries a sub....OH ITS TIGHT MIKE, ITS OVER MIKE....and then they slip out without problem.

Every time someone stumbles a bit...OH HE IS ROCKED MIKE, HE IS SO OUT OF IT, HE IS DONE MIKE....MIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE HE IS DONE...oh wait no he isn't.

JDS was defending TDs "like a cat" and tooling Cain for first 3 minutes of their second fight. Hunt was so much better striker than JDS until he dropped Hunt with overhand right from hell. Miocic was KTFO JDS with every single punch he threw. Weidman is crazy to stand with Spider even tho he is winning every second of that fight on the feet. Cormier knee is hurt from TD. We can go on and on....

Listen to other commentators like Stann, Mir, Miletich or even Jimmy Smith and see how they are not using hyperboles for every single punch. I enjoy listening to Jimmy Smith and his calm commentating. Seems a lot more realistic than anything Rogan is yelling about.

I try to ignore Rogan as much as I can but he is just too loud. Wish there was a "Rogan off" button. And no, I don't want to turn off the sound, I want to hear the crowd and punches land.

Last edited:
Back