Subjectivity in Rogan's commentating

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by RexChapmanFan, Jan 5, 2015.

1. RexChapmanFan

RexChapmanFan Green Belt

I'm not a big critic or fan of Joe Rogan, but after viewing the Jones-Cormier fight, I do wonder whether his commentating is too subjective in noting which fighter is doing more damage.

I just remember him commenting that Jones continual elbows to DC in the clinch were so deadly and ghastly. But he had a far weaker reaction to DC's uppercut in the clinch, as if they were less severe.

I am no expert, but I would guess the uppercuts were at least as forceful as the elbows. But it is easy to get wrapped in Rogan's subjective take and possibly get a skewed outlook on fights.

Rogan is often called.out for favoring fighters just because he apparently likes them better. But I also find problematic his personal views on which tactics allegedly hurt the most or are most effective. I thought in this case that DC deserved more credit than he received.

2. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    His commentating is horrible these days, it really is. The Jones/Cormier fight was awful. He really offers no insight or analysis on what is actually going on, just "BRUUUUTALLLL elbow by Jones"

3. estranged

estranged Brown Belt

yeah I find it annoying at times

4. Emjay

Emjay And again and again and again and ag.. zzzzzzzz

There's no way to tell to what extent "damage" is being done (for the most part) so it shouldn't matter what Rogan says

5. Kertol

Kertol Brown Belt

Rogan is not that bright, must be from all the pot.

6. LynchRippin

LynchRippin Brown Belt

First time I've seen this post...

7. Kertol

Kertol Brown Belt

It was a close fight. Rogan did the same during Machida-Shogun 1.

8. EXlLE**

EXlLE** Orange Belt

Youd think he would be biased towards the manlet

9. Kirin

Kirin Death Operator Platinum Member

Spot on, playa. I commented on this several times in our pbp discussion. It was nauseating listening to rogaine repeated slurps jones's balls.

10. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

He talked about a lot of things landing big for both fighters in Jones/Cormier that either flat out didn't land, or were at best grazing shots. A big problem with Rogan is that he likes to stick to a certain pre-conceived narrative when he commentates (which is hard to avoid for anyone, I know, but it's something that really pervades Rogan's commentary more than others) and that often involves distorting events to fit said narrative.

11. Ricki

Ricki Yellow Belt

Powerful commentary from Goldy though.

12. BROWNPRIDE

BROWNPRIDE Red Belt

Yea sometime I order it in Spanish cause if you listen to him and goldie they are that way with the ufc cash cows.

13. Emjay

Emjay And again and again and again and ag.. zzzzzzzz

Which is probably by design from a production perspective. People (not saying you) like to bash Joe for this when this could be the producer's doing.

14. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt

I try to listen for the bias that people here talk about, I really don't hear it. Maybe I'm just not as influenced as some claim he has the ability to do.

15. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

Holy f'n Christ. If you don't like Rogan do what I do whenever Anik and Stann are talking and turn off the sound.

16. JayElectra

True. I've always found it to be a bit of a conflict of interests for the promotion to enlist its own commentators. In boxing it's the networks not the promotions who employ the commentators and often you'll hear a lot more balanced and critical commentary as a result. Of course, it's not as if the networks don't have their own agendas and people they want to push themselves, so it quickly becomes obvious that there will always be some bias and pre-conceived push for someone, but I think one could hope for more tempered biases than what have gotten from Rogan as of late.

17. Kertol

Kertol Brown Belt

Rogan and Goldie are still better then any of the other commentators in the ufc. Ufc should employ the bellator announcers and frank mir, those guys are great.

18. tsully

tsully Green Belt

I just don't get how so many people can't grasp the fact that he's sitting ringside and only gets to see one view of the fight that may be blocked by a ref, a post or just a terrible angle where he can't see what all is going on.

Sure he can watch his small 5x5 screen instead of watching the fights live from the best seats in the house, but then again you can just turn off your sound and stop crying about something that's completely irrelevant to the outcome of the fight.

19. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

So does Rogan have a seat with a terrible angle with a sometimes-blocked view or does he have the best seat in the house? Which is it?

20. JayElectra

It's irrelevant to the outcome, yes, but it's certainly not irrelevant to the enjoyment of a spectator sport. I mean, it's not some catastrophe, but I think MMA is a spectator sport and the commentary of said sport is something which is rather relevant to the overall enjoyment of the product. It's not exactly a ridiculous thing to discuss on an MMA forum.