Opinion Student Loan Debate: SCOTUS strikes down Biden sweeping debt forgiveness order

Which plan do you currently agree with most? (if not exact to your position, explain in a post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lead

/Led/ blanket
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Updated 6/19/23
Bumping as the SCOTUS decision is this week whether Biden's debt forgiveness order can stay in place. I didn't use this thread to follow the process through the courts but considering we are at the end of the road and about to see whether the policy stays in place, it was worth an update.

What I've seen is the odds of forgiveness staying in place hinge on the standing of the case which is still in question and was challenged a few times during oral arguments.

If they decide there isn't standing, the order stays in place. However, if it does have standing, many think it will not have 5 votes to remain in place. Alito/ Thomas are going to be firm nos. Gorsuch would also be assumed to as he is very critical of the executive branch overreach. With that, you'd have 2 of 3 between Roberts, Kavanaugh, Barrett who all didn't seem on board. On the other hand, Barrett was questioning about standing which means you might already have 4 justices in the lack of standing camp. Barrett's other recent ruling on another case this term had to do with lack of standing as well.
Did The Supreme Court Just Drop A Hint On Upcoming Student Loan Forgiveness Case?
Forbes
Millions of borrowers are awaiting an imminent decision by the Supreme Court on a pair of legal challenges to President Joe Biden’s signature student loan forgiveness plan. That plan, if allowed to move forward, could result in up to $20,000 in student debt relief for millions of Americans.

While the Supreme Court has not yet released its decision on the student loan forgiveness cases, it did release other opinions today. And the legal reasoning in one of those cases may contain some significant clues as to how the Court may rule in the loan forgiveness challenges.
Predictions are predictions though. We won't know until the decision is released.

As an aside, this is one of the lame "concessions" McCathy got from the WH on the debt ceiling standoff that didn't actually matter. The student loan pause was meant unpause at the end of the year. Due to this case, they extended it until it's decided upon. McCarthy made a deal that the pause would end in August or September, which you can see is after the decision is handed down, meaning there really wasn't a change. I suppose you could say this guarantees an unpause but to me, I feel like the WH probably welcomed it. They could now say the unpause wasn't just because of the Courts ruling comings in but also the GOP congress.

Anyways, this is going to be a significant closing chapter on student loan forgiveness. Not the end but certainly going to draw the line in how much the executive can do unilaterally, at least through the HEROES act.

Updated 12/22/21

Looks like this wasn’t the final extension. I don’t see how this won’t continue happening. No president wants to be the guy to make millions of start paying their debts again

Biden extends pause on student loan repayment through May 1
CNN
President Joe Biden announced Wednesday he is extending the pause on student loan payments until May 1.

The payments, which were set to restart on February 1, have been paused since the beginning of the pandemic. Biden pointed to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis in the country as the reason for the extension.

"Given these considerations, today my Administration is extending the pause on federal student loan repayments for an additional 90 days — through May 1, 2022 — as we manage the ongoing pandemic and further strengthen our economic recovery," Biden said in a statement. "Meanwhile, the Department of Education will continue working with borrowers to ensure they have the support they need to transition smoothly back into repayment and advance economic stability for their own households and for our nation."

Updated Post 5/23/21
Biden Drops Student Loan Forgiveness From Latest Budget
Forbes
960x0.jpg

According to the Washington Post, President Joe Biden will not include any student loan cancellation in his annual budget. While the annual budget, which is expected at the end of next week, only contains major policy plans that have already been released by the Biden administration, it’s another major setback for student loan cancellation. As a presidential candidate, Biden called for Congress to cancel up to $10,000 of student loans for student loan borrowers, but hasn’t enacted any policy for student loan cancellation through an executive order.

The exclusion of student loan cancellation isn’t a surprise. Based on the latest news on student loan cancellation, it’s easier to read the writing on the wall about where Biden stands on his executive authority to cancel student loans. It’s not that Biden doesn’t support student loan cancellation; he does. However, Biden wants Congress — not the president — to enact student loan cancellation through legislation.

Was somewhat expecting this since the relief bill did pass. At the moment, this looks like a punt even on the 10k.

Updated Post 4/2/21

New development. Biden may be caving to the 50k. Can't determine if this is similar to the parliamentarian thing where he wants the person to tell him he can't legally do it to show his hands are tied (but keep the base happy he "tried") or it means he's shifted and will attempt to forgive the 50k without Congress

Biden asks Education secretary to see if he can legally cancel student debt
CNBC
106862443-1617225299850-biden1.jpg

President Joe Biden has requested that Education Secretary Miguel Cardona prepare a report on the president’s legal authority to cancel up to $50,000 in student debt per borrower, White House chief of staff Ron Klain said in an interview on Thursday with Politico.

“Hopefully we’ll see that in the next few weeks,” Klain said of the memo. “And then he’ll look at that legal authority, he’ll look at the policy issues around that and he’ll make a decision.”

On the campaign trail, Biden said he supported $10,000 in student loan forgiveness, but he is under mounting pressure from members of the Democratic Party, advocates and borrowers to go further by canceling $50,000 per person and to do so through executive action.

Although Biden in the past has expressed reluctance at bypassing Congress to cancel student debt, White House press secretary Jen Psaki suggested in February that the administration hadn’t ruled out the possibility. On his first day in office, Biden extended a pause on payments for federal student loan borrowers that has been in effect since March until this coming September.

Senate Majority Leader Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said he’s come to the conclusion that Biden can forgive $50,000 of the debt on his own.

Original Post 11/22/20
No thread yet on this but I think it will become a focus in DC once Biden's term kicks off.

More and more people have been pursuing undergraduate and graduate education in the past few decades, leading to student loan debt to become the largest consumer debt category aside from mortgage debt at 1.6T (over 4x what it was in 2004). Democrats have had student loan forgiveness on their checklist for quite sometime. In the primary, you had an array of plans addressing it, from Bernie Sanders calling for full forgiveness, Warren for those making up to 100k (with phase outs afterwards), and Biden with a 10k forgiveness plan in return for 1 year of public service.

Once COVID hit, student loan payments were deferred, defaulted collections/interest paused ultimately by the SoE then Congress and the President until September 30, 2020. Trump then did a EO which continued the pause until the end of the year.

Last week, Schumer along with Warren called for Biden to do a EO forgiving 50k. Biden initially responded with a reference to his 10k in forgiveness possibly without the 1 year service involved. He has since met with Schumer and Pelosi this Friday to discuss this and other COVID relief points that could possibly be passed next year.

Some breakdowns in the debt:
medical-debt-fig1.png

Some viewpoints from each position:
Proponents For:
-The forgiveness or deferment would provide financial relief during the COVID crisis
-Beyond the crisis, loan carriers would now be able to use the money for spending elsewhere or savings
-The forgiveness would address the racial (black-white) wealth gap possibly by 25 points
-To continue for a policy of universal secondary education, prior loans should be addressed as well
-Some higher education degrees are important to society but their career income prospects are significantly lower than the cost in attaining the degree(s) needed
-The cost of this (lower revenues) would be taken over a long course of time and not have an immediate large cash impact for the federal government

Proponents Against:
-This will not solve the problem of rising secondary/post secondary tuition; it addresses a symptom rather than a main ongoing problem
-The distribution among income/ wealth brackets isn't necessarily progressive as nearly half of the debt is with graduate degrees and 35% of balances are with the top 20% income bracket
-Stimulus for COVID relief can be distributed through better means
-Those who made the decision to not to pursue further education were unable to factor in this forgiveness into their decision and are already likely in fixed career trajectory at this point

You may also notice there's a whole other debate on whether this has to be done via legislation or simply executive order.

Some further reading:
Is This Where We Are, America? (New York Times)
Canceling Student Debt Is Not Progressive (RealClearEducation)
Can Joe Biden forgive student debt without Congress? Here’s what the experts say (CNBC)
Forgive Student Loans, but Only a Little (Wall Street Journal)
Go Ahead, Forgive Student Debt (The Atlantic)
No, Joe Biden Can’t Forgive $50,000 Of Student Loans (Forbes)
Biden shouldn’t listen to Schumer and Warren on student loans (Washington Post)
Why Forgive Student Debt? (The Urban Institute)
No, Your Student Loans Should Not Be Forgiven (The Heritage Foundation)

What are your thoughts on student loan forgiveness? Should some or any of the balances be forgiven beyond the programs we already have in place? If not, should deferred payments continue during this period of COVID?

Last edited:
I get that the high]ly uneducated would feel left out if student loans are forgiven and they don’t get anything, but this debt, and the laws around it re: bankruptcy are a drag on the economy. It’s a very practical policy. Some sort of loan forgiveness, coupled with tuition free/reduced education needs to pass.

edit, personally I still have some student loan balance, not sure how much it’s almist gone, so I’m not even asking for myself.

I think every American should have the ability to get a college education or trade school. We need to keep our workforce competitive. But kids need to be more responsible when choosing colleges. Taking out huge loans to cover dorms and food is not a smart option. Taking those loans to get a degree that wont get them a job is also their fault. I'm not sure what the numbers should be but total forgiveness seems like too much to ask for.

I get that the high]ly uneducated would feel left out if student loans are forgiven and they don’t get anything, but this debt, and the laws around it re: bankruptcy are a drag on the economy. It’s a very practical policy. Some sort of loan forgiveness, coupled with tuition free/reduced education needs to pass.

edit, personally I still have some student loan balance, not sure how much it’s almist gone, so I’m not even asking for myself.

It's one of the most needed investments, the educated populace.

Let's get this problem fixed along with larger proposals that impact K-12!!

I think every American should have the ability to get a college education or trade school. We need to keep our workforce competitive. But kids need to be more responsible when choosing colleges. Taking out huge loans to cover dorms and food is not a smart option. Taking those loans to get a degree that wont get them a job is also their fault. I'm not sure what the numbers should be but total forgiveness seems like too much to ask for.
I realize this isn't necessarily emblematic of the system, but locally the largest university requires first-year students to stay in residence and register for a meal plan.

Regardless of loan forgiveness, the entire system seems as if it needs to be restructured.

Yeah being someone that still owes 50k I’m all for it!!! But if I didn’t owe it, I wouldn’t be for it. Probably. I would say pay your damn debts you useless damn kids!! I pay mine as I have to, but I mean if the government is gonna write them off, fuck it, sign me up.

It's one of the most needed investments, the educated populace.

Let's get this problem fixed along with larger proposals that impact K-12!!
I would love to see some sort of increased universal standards between school districts. In my own experience, the difference between relatively wealthy urban areas and less privileged rural areas is significant. Its beyond depressing to see underprivileged children receive substandard educations and further reduce their chances of competing in this system. FML.

Its not the uneducated that care about this issue lol

Yeah but I know people who've taken students loans just to eat seafood all winter break lol.
Yeah there are always going to be grifters, but the overwhelming majority are not. And that seafood eating sunnavabitch is still a drag on the economy that needs to be resolved.

You took a loan you pay the loan, simple concept.

You are the beneficiary of that education, thus pay for it.
If by helping one person you would help hundreds, would you?

As for the poll, I don’t know enough about the numbers to say all, 50k, or 10k is the best answer.

lmao explain how forgiving debt of idiots helps others.

Just pay your loan you leeches.
Why would you determine to use such emotionally charged language such as "idiots" or "leeches"? To me at least, it seems as if this would immediately cause people of opposing views to become hostile and unreceptive to your message?

As someone who doesn’t have student loans, I’m for paying off 50k in debt. With the generation that has the most in student debt, these people could do a lot more for this country and local, national economy if some money was freed up. Housing etc.

But how can I profit off this student loan stuff? Anyone know? If 50k is forgiven, how can I make money off that is what I wanna know lol.

I was onboard, until Biden's plan said he was only cancelling loans for federal loans, and only for public universities. I went to a private school for undergrad, and refinanced half my loans through a private lender after grad school. His doesn't help me at all.

What makes more sense to me from an economic perspective is to just cancel all interest on federal student loans for existing and future powers. The government should not be lending to students for profit.

Fuck that. I still got 20 k left in federal. Come on senile Joe, pass this shit before you forget about it!

But seriously yea. That would be awesome.

Total joke. You took on the debt, its your responsibility.

I don't have any student loans, so can I just get the equivalent taken out of my mortgage loan? You know, since we are being fair or something like that...

I support this, pay my mortgage down 50k if you are relieving debt.

What an absolute slap in the face to people that worked their asses off paying loans off.

Just print some money and erase the debts, how hard can it be? Trump sent out $1200 for free to half the country anyway

Back