StrongLifts 5x5: how realistic is the progression ?

imo u shouldnt be doin a 5x5 program if ur a beginner and if 130lbs is all u can squat then id say you need more time looking at form/rest/nutrition. just my 2 cents gl with ur work

Lolwut.

imo u shouldnt be doin a 5x5 program if ur a beginner and if 130lbs is all u can squat then id say you need more time looking at form/rest/nutrition. just my 2 cents gl with ur work

Thanks, but why no 5x5 specifically ?

Also, I said 130 but that was not my 1RM at the time. It was on 5x5, with somewhat proper form.

Thanks, but why no 5x5 specifically ?

Ignore that guy.

In fact, most people would say absolute beginners are the best suited for a 5x5 (vs 3x5 or other lower volume programs). It will help you cement your form and the extra volume will not be a problem for someone getting novice gains.

OK thanks for the info, but would you say that 115 and 95 were your max, ie. you couldn't have done one more rep ? I feel people often don't go to max at first, and then their starting weights are actually lower than they could be.
In my case at least that was true, it's difficult to find the correct weight to perform 5 reps but not one more over 5 sets.

Not sure what you mean. SL5x5 IS a program for beginner, so...

They were my max at 5 reps. I would really be struggling on my 4th and 5th reps at that weight. I was going from total couch potato to 5x5 though. My bench is now 185 3x3 and squat is 200 3x3. Try it out man. It really produces gains quickly.

The 5x5 program is perfect for a beginner who can only squat 130, IMO.

I started Madcow and have run through 2 12 week cycles (if you will). The progression is real; however not without lots of hard work.

You are expected to start hitting PRs at about week 4. After that week you may experience sessions where you don't always get the 5 reps. But you can always keep the same weight at hit it the following week. No program is set in stone. Once you get into Weeks 5-12 you are basically pushing yourself on every workout. Consider the first 4 weeks like a deload. If you stall for a few weeks, reset with you new, current 5rep max and start over...

You can't expect the same rate of progress if you're staying at the same weight. I'm not too familiar with Stronglifts, but with the Starting Strength progression (which is pretty much the same as SLs), part of the program is the expectation you'll be taking in a significant calorie surplus from the very beginning of the program. Without that aspect fulfilled, the projected gains change dramatically. A beginner putting on 20 pounds or more in a month while training is going to progress much, much faster than someone staying at the same weight.

So unless you're willing to start eating quite a bit more, I'd adjust your expectations to the fact that you won't be adding any mass, so progress will be slow. Which is perfectly fine, if your goal is to be strong at a certain weight.

The 5x5 program is perfect for a beginner who can only squat 130, IMO.

Ideal situation is running a reral beginner program like SS first. I agree though 5X5 Madcow works for beginners no question...

Ive been running stronglifts for the past 2 months or so. Was making a progression on all the lifts. Jumped the gun on adding weights and form started to struggle. At this point I dialed back the weight and have made it a focal point to make sure form is perfect. This isnt a race, who gives a shit what numbers you are putting up. As long as you can get through the 5 sets of 5 with solid form, eating and resting properly, everyething will fall into place

Ive been running stronglifts for the past 2 months or so. Was making a progression on all the lifts. Jumped the gun on adding weights and form started to struggle. At this point I dialed back the weight and have made it a focal point to make sure form is perfect. This isnt a race, who gives a shit what numbers you are putting up. As long as you can get through the 5 sets of 5 with solid form, eating and resting properly, everyething will fall into place

In my experience jumping the gun is not a good idea on Madcow 5X5. You will find after week 4 the workouts get tough... If you're a totaly beginner the workouts start to get tough after week 8... I have run two full 12 weeks and started my third last Monday.

as an initial lifting program, i think sl sucks.

imagine putting a novice through 5x5 for big compound lifts three times a week.

Id think you get better results droping the sets down to 3

5x5 is fine for a beginner, sl doesnt suck...I preferred SS though since I was doing more than just lifting.

I have been on stronglifts program on and off since spring so I'll tell you guys about my progress since I am finally sticking to it.

Yesterday I busted 2 nuts before training (not even joking). Then I went and destroyed my 295x5 squat and then did 130x5 press and then 335x5 deadlift.

There goes the masturbating before exercise=bad myth.

I am 19 6'3 and 185lbs (very lean) BTW. I got the long 80in armspan so my bench and press still suck but they are making great progress.

so the program is good in my conclusion.

I have been on stronglifts program on and off since spring so I'll tell you guys about my progress since I am finally sticking to it.

Yesterday I busted 2 nuts before training (not even joking). Then I went and destroyed my 295x5 squat and then did 130x5 press and then 335x5 deadlift.

There goes the masturbating before exercise=bad myth.

I am 19 6'3 and 185lbs (very lean) BTW. I got the long 80in armspan so my bench and press still suck but they are making great progress.

so the program is good in my conclusion.

only 2?

Ideal situation is running a reral beginner program like SS first. I agree though 5X5 Madcow works for beginners no question...
I was referring to Stronglifts 5x5 being perfect for a beginner who can squat 130, not MadCow which I believe is far more suited once you stop seeing substantial progression with SL.

After seeing the before and after progress pic of that Mehdi guy after years and years of training... StrongLifts, not even once.

Back