strongest position in jj to you

Seems to get years and years to master it. The only 2 guys that I'm not able to take the back when they try it is a guy who has been doing this move for 13 years and the other is a judo coral belt and BJJ purple belt.

All the other guys even judo black belt and brown belts (but BJJ newbies) I can take the back or reverse them when they try it.

The way I play my RDLR and half guard, I pretty much provoke the kesa gatame, I give the knee slide but not the underhook. So it's kesa gatame or back step for them and I'm ready for both. Sure if I let them settle with a good grip on my sleeve I'm done but there's holes in the transition for me to attack.

We have some kids in the kids class who do BJJ and Judo and every time they try a scarfhold they get reversed or back taken.
Like all moves, nothing is 100% we need Miguera to put you in kesa and have you try and escape and we can see who's more accurate. I personally love using kesa to transition to knee-on-belly when the person tries to come up and take the back. Or I transition to NS. But I also recognize getting your back taken is a risk.
I only really do it when it "feels" right and I can tell I can smush my opponent. Not really a go-to move, but it's certainly effective. Miguera might be really good at it, his username is Japanese.

Seems to get years and years to master it. The only 2 guys that I'm not able to take the back when they try it is a guy who has been doing this move for 13 years and the other is a judo coral belt and BJJ purple belt.

All the other guys even judo black belt and brown belts (but BJJ newbies) I can take the back or reverse them when they try it.

The way I play my RDLR and half guard, I pretty much provoke the kesa gatame, I give the knee slide but not the underhook. So it's kesa gatame or back step for them and I'm ready for both. Sure if I let them settle with a good grip on my sleeve I'm done but there's holes in the transition for me to attack.

We have some kids in the kids class who do BJJ and Judo and every time they try a scarfhold they get reversed or back taken.

God knows how can someone be reversed when all his weight is on the opposite side unless of course weight advantage and/or natural strength due to age and/or genetics

My strongest position is side control on the opponent's right side. My best guard is half guard knee shield.

Defensively I struggle most against a good full mount. The toughest guard for me to pass is that of ultra flexible opponents.

To amend my previous thought, defending vs reverse kesa gatame is a nightmare.

I had a strong brown belt old school BJJ guy tell me awhile back that he hates mount. For him, side control has so many more options and is not vulnerable to being bumped off. It made so much sense. I have been sweeping to mount and then having trouble finishing many submissions and beating myself up about it. Comparatively, when I get side control, there are so many avenues of attack that I can see, depending on how they react, or moving to north south or knee on belly - and my success rate is so much higher.
At my level, unless someone really screws up, I'm never really taking the back and so I don't work from there a whole lot.

Low mount, and side control with a nearside underhook lapel grip (attacking for the breadcutter) are my favorites - those two are usually a pretty stable base to launch attacks from.

I had a strong brown belt old school BJJ guy tell me awhile back that he hates mount. For him, side control has so many more options and is not vulnerable to being bumped off. It made so much sense. I have been sweeping to mount and then having trouble finishing many submissions and beating myself up about it. Comparatively, when I get side control, there are so many avenues of attack that I can see, depending on how they react, or moving to north south or knee on belly - and my success rate is so much higher.
At my level, unless someone really screws up, I'm never really taking the back and so I don't work from there a whole lot.

why would you not take the back? back is infinetely better than side control.

How old school could a brown belt in 2020 be?

How old school could a brown belt in 2020 be?
Because he started back when you had to drive for hours just to train with a purple belt. I don't know his whole story but he has been at brown for years and is likely close to BB. He has changed gyms more than once, had some injuries, and some breaks in training along the way too. He's like the wise old man on the mat.

Backmount
Double Cross Ashi

source.gif

yeah but im not a fan vs good guys its so hard to go back to a normal side control if you wrap the head and not an underhook

Not if you have technical transitions you’ve drilled the shit out of, & sufficiently sharpened. There are some really good ones out there.

I have been sweeping to mount and then having trouble finishing many submissions and beating myself up about it. Comparatively, when I get side control, there are so many avenues of attack that I can see, depending on how they react, or moving to north south or knee on belly - and my success rate is so much higher.

Try high mount. Knees wedged up into their armpits. It kills their bump, and makes their arms far weaker / easier to control & attack.

For me it is top half-guard and side-control. Because I trained these positions a lot, for I always got caught in half-guard and didn't have many answers, other than applying a lot of pressure.

Try high mount. Knees wedged up into their armpits. It kills their bump, and makes their arms far weaker / easier to control & attack.

its like anything u gotta practice it bjj has so many options so guys just never stick to something is the issue in why they arnt good in some areas mount takes time tbh i feel u wont be great at it at least till purple and really good till black u have to have great awareness in your base and their escapes

For me it is top half-guard and side-control. Because I trained these positions a lot, for I always got caught in half-guard and didn't have many answers, other than applying a lot of pressure.
for mma top hg might be stronger than mount vs average person sure a top pro like maia would prefer mount but top hg with elbows is very strong

its like anything u gotta practice it bjj has so many options so guys just never stick to something is the issue in why they arnt good in some areas mount takes time tbh i feel u wont be great at it at least till purple and really good till black u have to have great awareness in your base and their escapes

For sure. One of the many amazing qualities of jiujitsu is that each position isn’t really one thing, it’s a basic starting point, each of which branches off into many things.

So you could have 6 different jiujiteiros who are true masters of the mount, and yet when you study their games, they are doing 6 wildly different styles, with only the basics as similarities.

And yeah, one of the things they all definitely have in common is patience.

for mma top hg might be stronger than mount vs average person sure a top pro like maia would prefer mount but top hg with elbows is very strong

You pretty much just described Randy’s whole style, throughout his entire career. That, and pressing people against the cage standing.

That's suprising. If I'm able to get the position it seems like an extremely good control. I cant remember the last time I had my back taken from there. Even guys who normally smash me, dont take my back from kesa.

That said. Back control is easily the best position.

Back