strongest position in jj to you

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
curious what guys think nowadays what the strongest position is in grappling and the best guard as well

the back was the ultimate goal in gracie jiu jitsu mount being second best then knee on belly side curious how others see that today

curious what guys think nowadays what the strongest position is in grappling and the best guard as well

the back was the ultimate goal in gracie jiu jitsu mount being second best then knee on belly side curious how others see that today
Back with a locked rear naked (clean not on the chin) seems hard to beat

fully mounted + body triangle lock

Is a sub not a position?

i dont mean a position that ends the right right away lol if you are that close you got the choke its basically over

im talking about a position with no real dominant grips like back control with body triangle or mount ect

Best guard is likely to vary based on personal preference ? Spider lasso and squid are tops for me based on how difficult they are to pass and sheer number of sub / sweep opportunities.

2nd tier would be closed and 50/50 .... mainly used to stall in comps(up on points,short time ... f' you we're sitting in 50/50)

Pretty positive most of the smaller dudes will agree seatbelt / body triangle back control is awesome.

*my mount is bleh

Best guard is likely to vary based on personal preference ? Spider lasso and squid are tops for me based on how difficult they are to pass and sheer number of sub / sweep opportunities.

2nd tier would be closed and 50/50 .... mainly used to stall in comps(up on points,short time ... f' you we're sitting in 50/50)

Pretty positive most of the smaller dudes will agree seatbelt / body triangle back control is awesome.

*my mount is bleh
squid?

i use t like lasso spider guard but idk rarely see great sweeps from it mostly stalling

I'm an old school guy I guess. High mount and closed guard. Two positions where 99% of the time I can hurt you and you can't hurt me.

Been incorporating some fun 50/50 stuff into my game lately though.

I'm an old school guy I guess. High mount and closed guard. Two positions where 99% of the time I can hurt you and you can't hurt me.

Been incorporating some fun 50/50 stuff into my game lately though.
i think its hard to say closed guard since in mma its very dangerous vs good guys vs nobodies yes u can wrap them up like nothing but if we are talking about over all amazing dangerous control i feel it has to be top position

Kesa gatame is the best pin of all times. It's just natural and simple.

Kesa gatame is the best pin of all times. It's just natural and simple.

yeah but im not a fan vs good guys its so hard to go back to a normal side control if you wrap the head and not an underhook

yeah but im not a fan vs good guys its so hard to go back to a normal side control if you wrap the head and not an underhook

With gi or without gi?
If we are talking about gi then if you understand how to do it correctly there is no way your opponent can escape not even the good ones

Top side control is my strongest. Most guys struggle to get out of that position with a competent wrestler on top of them.

just for me personally, back control with a body triangle; based on body type and skill level (low). but overall, i put a high mount or top side control up there

For me my best attacking position is top north south

I can attack for NS chokes, go back to side, take the back and my favorite get a kimura grip for dorsal kimura (in Danaher terms). Then I can take the back, attack a kimura or a cross kimura or go for an arm bar or even try a side triangle...

Going north south is way more dynamic than side control or mount IMO.

For guard I would say that working inside (shin to shin, Butterfly, half butterfly, SLX and X guard) is the best system for me, it's great for sweeping and leg locks. But you need to have a good half guard and RDLR also because you're gonna get put into halfguard a lot

Back control, with the fully locked body triangle.

Kimura with the inverted triangle locked on the other side.

Saddle with both feet controlled.

High mount in the gi.

With gi or without gi?
If we are talking about gi then if you understand how to do it correctly there is no way your opponent can escape not even the good ones

Seems to get years and years to master it. The only 2 guys that I'm not able to take the back when they try it is a guy who has been doing this move for 13 years and the other is a judo coral belt and BJJ purple belt.

All the other guys even judo black belt and brown belts (but BJJ newbies) I can take the back or reverse them when they try it.

The way I play my RDLR and half guard, I pretty much provoke the kesa gatame, I give the knee slide but not the underhook. So it's kesa gatame or back step for them and I'm ready for both. Sure if I let them settle with a good grip on my sleeve I'm done but there's holes in the transition for me to attack.

We have some kids in the kids class who do BJJ and Judo and every time they try a scarfhold they get reversed or back taken.

Back