Strikeforce fighters payed too much?

foard32

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So I'm curious to see what Dana White and the Zuffa crew will do with fighters like Mousasi who are signed to very large un-Zuffa like contracts in Strikeforce.

For instance at "Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" there were a few guys I would question.

Barnett - 250k
Mousasi - 175k
Gracie - almost 47k base + win bonus
Cormier - 60k + win bonus
Souza - 72.5k + win bonus
Tim Kennedy - 55k + win bonus

These are generally not huge numbers but they are all higher than Zuffa average and in some cases higher than the fighter is arguably worth in comparison to their UFC counterparts.

Cormier, Gracie, and Souza are all almost certainly safe regardless of pay. But what about the others? Would Barnett take a pay cut to stay in the UFC.. almost certainly no, but can anyone else even attempt to pay that much? Is Kennedy worth paying the big bucks? If he is it's only because of his military history, not because he is anywhere near top 15. And Mousasi, hugely unproven and they're expected to pay him almost 200k?

What does everyone else think?

I think its pretty cool to be honest. I hope zuffa gives some of these guys raises after there performances the other night.

Never understood why people care so much how much fighters get paid? It's NONE of anyone's business but there own. Do you go around telling people how much you get paid?

I've never heard of a fighter saying they took a pay cut to fight in the UFC. Not saying it hasn't happened.

lol @ including Cormier, Gracie, Kennedy, and Jacare for being paid too much. Those are modest salaries.

I would imagine that contract employee pay was NOT a main reason for Strikeforce not working out. Their model was not proper. That is likely the bottom line.

Gracie got 94K total i doubt he will be seeing that in the UFC. He isnt a top 20 MW.

Problem is that we don't have an option to look at terms of the current deals and know whether or not they can just work off that. Elite HW's are always going to make really good money. Not surprised that Barnett gets 250K. Cormier will probably get a raise soon.

Mousasi is an interesting one.

lol @ including Cormier, Gracie, Kennedy, and Jacare for being paid too much. Those are modest salaries.

I'm not saying they're massive salaries. But especially with Gracie and Kennedy, guys with their experience are not making anywhere near as much. Gracie would be making like 17k plus a 17k win bonus if he had started in the UFC.

Gracie got 94K total i doubt he will be seeing that in the UFC. He isnt a top 20 MW.

I would bet he gets 47/47 or higher in the UFC. He is making money off popularity and name recognition. UFC would love to have another Gracie in the UFC. Roger is the best one since Renzo, though he really needs to work on his striking and takedowns.

Never understood why people care so much how much fighters get paid? It's NONE of anyone's business but there own. Do you go around telling people how much you get paid?

If you had intelligently read what I wrote I was simply asking what people thought Zuffa would do? Not in regards to what I think they deserve to be payed, or what you do, but in regards to what Zuffa thinks? We may not see someone like Mousasi in the UFC if he refuses to take a pay cut simply because of $.

tumblr_mb1h5glX1n1r4c1k8o1_250.gif

This is what a lot of fans don't get with guys coming to the UFC that are signed to hefty deals...they are going to be thrown to the wolves and put up against the elite of the UFC's division in order to merit their higher salary.

Look at Jorge Santiago and Akiyama. Everyone on here says that Joe Silva has something against these two, but the reality is they signed bigger contracts than just the normal newcomer. So, they are expected to come in an perform like a top guy because they are getting paid like it.

Now, look at Robbie Lawler. He's getting paid huge bucks and the UFC wants to see if he is worth it by booking him against Josh Koscheck. If Lawler loses, the UFC can instantly re-negotiate and get out of these huge Strikeforce contracts.

I'm not saying they're massive salaries. But especially with Gracie and Kennedy, guys with their experience are not making anywhere near as much. Gracie would be making like 17k plus a 17k win bonus if he had started in the UFC.

Kennedy was on his second Strikeforce contract. Most guys on their second UFC contract get signing bonuses with a per fight deal. Problem is the signing bonuses aren't normally disclosed.

I would bet he gets 47/47 or higher in the UFC. He is making money off popularity and name recognition. UFC would love to have another Gracie in the UFC. Roger is the best one since Renzo, though he really needs to work on his striking and takedowns.

Definitely feel the same. And The HW's are safe, they're too big of a draw to lose. Mousasi and Kennedy are the real interesting ones, especially Gegard.

So I'm curious to see what Dana White and the Zuffa crew will do with fighters like Mousasi who are signed to very large un-Zuffa like contracts in Strikeforce.

For instance at "Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" there were a few guys I would question.

Barnett - 250k
Mousasi - 175k
Gracie - almost 47k base + win bonus
Cormier - 60k + win bonus
Souza - 72.5k + win bonus
Tim Kennedy - 55k + win bonus

These are generally not huge numbers but they are all higher than Zuffa average and in some cases higher than the fighter is arguably worth in comparison to their UFC counterparts.

Cormier, Gracie, and Souza are all almost certainly safe regardless of pay. But what about the others? Would Barnett take a pay cut to stay in the UFC.. almost certainly no, but can anyone else even attempt to pay that much? Is Kennedy worth paying the big bucks? If he is it's only because of his military history, not because he is anywhere near top 15. And Mousasi, hugely unproven and they're expected to pay him almost 200k?

What does everyone else think?

Sound about right as far as pay . They would get more and I wouldn't mind (actually I'd applause that ) .

Definitely feel the same. And The HW's are safe, they're too big of a draw to lose. Mousasi and Kennedy are the real interesting ones, especially Gegard.

Mousasi and Kennedy will probably be thrown in against a guy making comparable money, and if they lose, expect their contracts to be instantly re-negotiated or possibly be released. Look at Jorge Santiago, 2 fights and your out.

Back