Strength Training for teen

Depends on whether or not you can do them with good form/technique. Given that you seem to lack a coach, it might be advisable to post a couple of videos for technical feedback.

Stunting growth is not the issue. Essentials of Strength and Conditioning indicates the the optimum time to begin strength training is two years after their PHV (Peak Height Velocity) for males, while females can begin during their PHV cycle. Most sports do offer Long Term Athlete Development guidlines for coaches and trainers and most of these LTAD documents suggest focusing on technique, balance, speed, and coordination at younger ages.

Stunting growth is not the issue. Essentials of Strength and Conditioning indicates the the optimum time to begin strength training is two years after their PHV (Peak Height Velocity) for males, while females can begin during their PHV cycle. Most sports do offer Long Term Athlete Development guidlines for coaches and trainers and most of these LTAD documents suggest focusing on technique, balance, speed, and coordination at younger ages.

What does this have to do with what I posted?

Hmmm, so even though lifting weights increases things like speed, vertical jump, core strength, power and muscular endurance, you would not do it? Even though there is a lower injury rate than things like track (running/jumping), lower impact forces than plyometrics, etc?

Your lack of actual logic underscores/underlies your lack of ability to properly design a program.

This.

What better way to build a "base" than building full body strength and coordination with a barbell? Injurious variables are lower for barbell training than any other sport I can think of.

Hey guys,
As a teen, what type of strength training should i engage in? (eg. plyos, barbell complexes, calisthenics or med-ball). Are there any strength training programs that are ideal for me? Things to consider: Time: since I'm a student. Frequency: again studies and also ability to recover since i train kickboxing as well. Thanks

StrongLifts 5x5, SS, or some type of linear progression.

/thread

If you are under 16, I'd suggest to focus a lot on plyos and calisthenics. Get a really strong core, practice sprints and vertical jump. Get strong on the pull-ups and push-ups.

If you are over 16, you can dive straight into strength train if you want, Wendler's 5/3/1 is good.

16 isn't a magical age where people can begin strength training.

If anyone claims that resistance training is detrimental to a child's development, they're an uneducated fool.

Well that's rubbish. There's been plenty of research done on the " negative effects" to children and nothing has been shown to stunt growth, at any age. Epiphyseal plates don't close unless there's been a break or fracture, or you routinely land on the area like a gymnast would (radial epiphyseal closure). This "PHV" you talk of being an indicator for readiness for strength exercise prescription is crap and isn't mentioned in any study of note.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3674272
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/104/1/e5.full.pdf

Well that's rubbish. There's been plenty of research done on the " negative effects" to children and nothing has been shown to stunt growth, at any age. Epiphyseal plates don't close unless there's been a break or fracture, or you routinely land on the area like a gymnast would (radial epiphyseal closure). This "PHV" you talk of being an indicator for readiness for strength exercise prescription is crap and isn't mentioned in any study of note.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3674272
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/104/1/e5.full.pdf

You are correct, and if you go back and actually read my comments, I was not disagreeing with you. Again I say stunting growth is not a issue, one can do strength training a younger age and it is realitivly. As I mention, while it may be safe, it is not the optimal time for strength training. To have the greatest impact on ones athletic abilities, it is optimal to focus on technique, balance, and coordination at younger ages. You can do strength training and you will see minimal increases in your strength. If you wish to find "studies of note" outlining this information, look for any studies on Long Term Athlete Development.

You are correct, and if you go back and actually read my comments, I was not disagreeing with you. Again I say stunting growth is not a issue, one can do strength training a younger age and it is realitivly. As I mention, while it may be safe, it is not the optimal time for strength training. To have the greatest impact on ones athletic abilities, it is optimal to focus on technique, balance, and coordination at younger ages. You can do strength training and you will see minimal increases in your strength. If you wish to find "studies of note" outlining this information, look for any studies on Long Term Athlete Development.

Strength gains were observed in the region of 30-40% over a 8 week period. Hardly minimal.

Back