Strength Training for teen

avidfighter

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,
As a teen, what type of strength training should i engage in? (eg. plyos, barbell complexes, calisthenics or med-ball). Are there any strength training programs that are ideal for me? Things to consider: Time: since I'm a student. Frequency: again studies and also ability to recover since i train kickboxing as well. Thanks

If you are under 16, I'd suggest to focus a lot on plyos and calisthenics. Get a really strong core, practice sprints and vertical jump. Get strong on the pull-ups and push-ups.

If you are over 16, you can dive straight into strength train if you want, Wendler's 5/3/1 is good.

Lemme fix that for you...

If you are under 16, your spine will instantly compress like an accordion and you will be a lifelong midget the second you even look at a barbell. Just look at the Chinese. Also no puberty = no gains.

If you are over 16, SS GOMAD

If you are under 16, I'd suggest to focus a lot on plyos and calisthenics. Get a really strong core, practice sprints and vertical jump. Get strong on the pull-ups and push-ups.

If you are over 16, you can dive straight into strength train if you want, Wendler's 5/3/1 is good.

No.

The "stunting growth"/damaging growth plates thing is a myth.

Yiu can start lifting weights whenever. What is true is that prior to puberty you don't have the hormones required for significant muscle growth, so then you need to focus more on correct form and be cautious with increasing the weight. Once puberty is happening, or is done, you can lift.

Above all else, leave your ego out of the gym. Don't lift weights that you can't handle without correct form.

Good range of motion and good form is more impressive than not properly controlling a bit more weight

Well I was 15 when I started working out and now at 21 I'm only 170cm. Coincidence? I think not!
And the fact that my mom is ~160cm and my dad ~175cm has nothing to do with my height.

What exactly do you mean by "plyos?" Jumping drills are fine for GPP, but actual plyometrics require an extensive strength base (or years of jumping)

What exactly do you mean by "plyos?" Jumping drills are fine for GPP, but actual plyometrics require an extensive strength base (or years of jumping)

You can do those from a very low height. My kid jumps on and off a platform at gymnastics class. I'm guessing it was 8 inches tall?

No.

Yiu can start lifting weights whenever. What is true is that prior to puberty you don't have the hormones required for significant muscle growth, so then you need to focus more on correct form and be cautious with increasing the weight. Once puberty is happening, or is done, you can lift.

Reference or two here:

http://www.sweatpit.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=kidlift

plyometris are a good way to start building a strong base and build an athleticism at a young age that will follow you around. What I mean by plyos is basically designing a program where you concentrate on trying to sprint faster and jump higher. So all your accessorie exercises need to be plyo-related.

Last edited:
No.

You can start lifting weights whenever. What is true is that prior to puberty you don't have the hormones required for significant muscle growth, so then you need to focus more on correct form and be cautious with increasing the weight. Once puberty is happening, or is done, you can lift.

Yea I know it's a myth, but this is just my personal preferences when it comes to designing a program for a teenager. If you are very young, ranging from 8-14, I wouldn't place you under a barbell for training, lifting weights wouldn't be as effective as if you were a little bit old. What I'm trying to do by making you work with calisthenics and plyometrics is too build a solid base. Run fast, jump high, strong core, powerful /endurance legs, powerful/endurance upper body.

plyometris are a good way to start building a strong base and build an athleticism at a young age that will follow you around. What I mean by plyos is basically designing a program where you concentrate on trying to sprint faster and jump higher. So all your accessorie exercises need to be plyo-related.

Plyometrics subject the still growing bones to far more stress (via impact) than lifting does. Your goal when training a youth should be to minimize the risk of injury. Really, this is true of every training program.

Yea I know it's a myth, but this is just my personal preferences when it comes to designing a program for a teenager. If you are very young, ranging from 8-14, I wouldn't place you under a barbell for training, lifting weights wouldn't be as effective as if you were a little bit old. What I'm trying to do by making you work with calisthenics and plyometrics is too build a solid base. Run fast, jump high, strong core, powerful /endurance legs, powerful/endurance upper body.

Hmmm, so even though lifting weights increases things like speed, vertical jump, core strength, power and muscular endurance, you would not do it? Even though there is a lower injury rate than things like track (running/jumping), lower impact forces than plyometrics, etc?

Your lack of actual logic underscores/underlies your lack of ability to properly design a program.

is 5 reps (considerably heavy) a safe range considering i'm quite responsible for my age (well i hope so at least)

is 5 reps (considerably heavy) a safe range considering i'm quite responsible for my age (well i hope so at least)

Depends on whether or not you can do them with good form/technique. Given that you seem to lack a coach, it might be advisable to post a couple of videos for technical feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back