• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Strength in Interesting Places IV: I'm too sexy for these logs

Nintendo stock also doubled but has since corrected some.

Yep, after they reminded people that they only own one third of the Pokemon Company.

Apple, apparently, is forecast to make $2b off Pokemon Go.

I'm back in the game after a 3 week absence. The game has lost 10m of the original 70m which ranks it higher than almost any other app out there.

I'm back in the game after a 3 week absence. The game has lost 10m of the original 70m which ranks it higher than almost any other app out there.

It was inevitable really- nothing could stay as popular as it was at the start. And it's still pretty limited- no trading, no battling with other players etc.

Notes

So I have been trying to get my work capacity up to the point where I can do two full bench and squat workouts a week. I think I am there with squat- in fact the 8 sets of 3 at the current weight doesn't really take much out of me and I seem to be 100% good to go two days later. Which is naaace (to be read in Italian accent).

With Bench, I am not quite there, especially at the intensity I've done for the last couple of sessions- it's left me feeling a bit tight in lots of tendons for 3-4 days afterwards. As I think I've said, I think that I get more from doing slightly less intensity and more volume. I can do a a lot more total work and recovery is much easier. So I am in two minds about what to do now- plug away at the current weight/intensity and try to nail 88kg for 8 sets of 3, or just reduce it slightly. I guess I don't want to go backwards, so I will stay ay 88kg, but I will be more conservative about increasing the weight in the future. Really it's just an issue because I didn't have the equipment needed to micro-load and so I made a jump that I wasn't really ready for.

My conditioning work has been rubbish for ages, which is disappointing. It's partly because I have to schlepp to the other side of town to use our office gym, and partly because when I do get there I don't really want to shower afterwards (there aren't really proper shower facilities). But those are excuses really- it's a pain to get over there to lift as well but I manage to do it. So it really just reflects that conditioning isn't quite the same priority as lifting. If we end up moving appartments here in Turkey it will be easier to manage- the new place has two pools, a big gym, a basket ball court, and cinder running track. Yes, really. But for now I need to do something. I am thinking that I might do a treadmill session after one of my bench days, instead of bro work. So it would just be bench and some upper back stuff, then straight on the treadmill. That should be do-able, and with one session over the weekend that will be a minimum of twice a week. Not bad, although 3-4 times a week would make me much happier.

Summer benchin', had me a blast (summer benchin', happened so fast)

Bench press
Band rotator cuff exercises
20kg x5
40kg x5
60kg x3
70kg x2
80kg x1
88kg x3
88kg x3
88kg x3
83kg x5
83kg x5
83kg x5
55kg x10
55kg x10
55kg x10

Various rear delt exercises
Inverse rows
BW x10
BW with feet on bench x10
"Six back" reverse fly isoholds
6 holds, 8-10 seconds each

Conditioning
Incline treadmill walk; 5.6kmph, 9% incline, 42 minutes

Note

So... today I wanted to continue the process of getting used to 88kg for 3, but I wanted to make it easy enough overall that I wouldn't be sore in a bad way and unable to give it my all on Sunday, when I want to do my next session. So the plan I settled on was 3 sets of everything- the triples at 88, sets of 5 at 83 and the laughable backoff. Then shoot for 5 sets of everything on Sunday. That actually went pretty well, or at least I think it did. The sets at 88 and 82 felt "hard but not too hard". The backoff sets felt a bit pointless, but oh well.

I implemented the plan today- did some rear delt work, then skipped the Bro stuff and did some conditioning. Incline treadmill walk. Yep, it's easy but I get a good sweat on and from experimenting with a chest-strap HR monitor I know that it gets me more or less in the right HR zone for LISS. Listened to "The Weeds" podcast- good episode.

Been thinking a lot about starting to deadlift again. I feel like my back is a lot stronger than it used to be, and my back problems over the last couple of years have mainly been caused by running anyway. I might just do straight 5/3/1 deadlifts after front squatting once a week. With the way it's programmed it will be easy for the first few months so I will have time to get used to it.

eb373006327680aa0bcd566825955c0b.jpg

Okay, just for my reference, here's my first month of DL programming. I am guessing conservatively that 140kg is my max, so I will follow Wendler's advice and use 126kg.

Week one: 82kg x5, 95kg x5, 107kg x5 AMRAP
Week two: 88kg x3, 101kg x3, 113kg x3 AMRAP
Week three: 95kg x5, 107kg x5, 120kg x1 AMRAP
Week four: 50kg x5, 63kg x5, 76kg x5

Should be pretty easy, I guess.

You will crush it. Perfect form on every rep is a prerequisite, we don't want any more back ouchies.

Leg day

Front squat
20kg x5
40kg x5
60kg x3
70kg x2
80kg x1
90kg x1
100kg x1
110kg x3 <<== new 3RM... also new 1RM
110kg x3
110kg x3
110kg x3
110kg x3
110kg x3
110kg x3
110kg x3

Ab wheel rollout
x10
x10
x10
x10

Barbell Shrugs
20kg x10
40kg x10
60kg x10
70kg x10
70kg x10
70kg x10

Deadlift
60kg x3
70kg x3
83kg x5
95kg x5
108kg x7 <<== target 5, exceeded by two

DB concentration curls
7.5kg x10
12.5kg x5
15kg x10
15kg x10
15kg x9
15kg x8
15kg x8

Notes

First time trying 110kg front squat, and it was pretty easy. I went into it thinking that I might just do 5x2 or something. After the first rep I thought "I can handle a triple". After the second set I thought "I can do eight of these". And so it was. Pleased with these, feel like there is more in the tank. I think the pace of progress will pick up a little now. Going to be 120kg fairly soon I think. Really looking forward to that.

Today was the first time trying deadlifts for the first time in more than a year, except for the odd demonstration I have done for people. They felt good. No stress on the back at all- just so much easier now I have figured out how to use a belt. I didn't push the AMRAP given how long it's been. If I hadn't been thinking about that and had chalk (I used hook grip and no chalk) I would probably have done over 10.

I actually went out last night. We had a work barbecue, there was tonnes of free beer. Stayed there until 9, then went on to some bars with some of the more fun staff from our company. It was basically the cool Turks, some of our Syrian staff, and a couple of the consultants. I spend pretty much the whole time talking to a pretty Syrian-Canadian girl who I must admit I have a crush on. A high point was when they put Salsa on... I can do most of the basic steps, but leading your partner is much more difficult because you have to know what you are going to do one step ahead, and then you have to be able to signal that and move your partner into it. If you are a strong leader you can make them do all sorts of cool stuff as long as they can more or less do the basics. Anyway, even though I haven't really salsa'd in more than 10 years, it kind of came back and I was able to properly salsa and lead the pretty Syrian-Canadian girl. So I had her spinning and moving all over the dance floor, to her amazement and the amazement of the people we were with. Leading is a very manly thing to do, too- you are basically physically controlling the girl. So it's a good thing to do with a pretty girl. Then after that the music changed to dance, so I showed off some of my other dance styles. Afterwards she said "You're such a good dancer! Where did you learn that?" and I said "dance school". Boom. Got back 1AM, pretty drunk, but wasn't so ruined this morning that I couldn't get to the gym. Meat, dance, pretty girls, alcohol, it doesn't much better than that.

Arms and Chest day

Bench press
20kg x10
40kg x5
60kg x3
70kg x1
80kg x1
88kg x3
88kg x3
88kg x3
88kg x3
83kg x5
83kg x5
83kg x5
83kg x5
83kg x5

Inverted rows
Feet on ground
BW x5
BW x5
Feet on bench
BW x10
BW x10
BW x10
BW x10
BW x10
BW x10
BW x10
(Between sets of bench)

Chins
BW x9
BW x9
BW x9
BW x9
BW x9
BW x9
BW x9
BW x9
BW x9

Standing unilateral landmine press
20kg x10
30kg x5
40kg x3
47.5kg x10
47.5kg x10
47.5kg x10
47.5kg x10
47.5kg x10 RHS, x8 LHS

Conditioning
Incline treadmill walk: 52 minutes, 9%/5.6kmph

Notes

Okay. Bench felt about right, at the upper level of the range I want to be in. They were all do-able but it was the level where you have to really focus and if form breaks down it gets really really hard. Slowing down quite a bit on the last rep of pretty much every set, but the only the absolute last rep was a real grind.

Everything else was good clean family fun. I did my incline walk listening to an audiobook: "Sharp Ends", a collection of short stories by Joe Abercrombie, set in his "First Law" world. The First Law series is my favourite fantasy series and amongst my favourite books of any genre at all (for reference, I rate them as being 2-3x better than the Game of Thrones books), and the guy who does the audiobooks is so good it is unbelievable. So it was not such a bad way to spend 52 minutes, even in a hot garage with no aircon or fan with the door closed.

Actually pretty frazzled afterwards. I might have to take a little nap later.

Best two days in recent memory in this log.

Jaunty at work:
6d23569d8c527e8015a30d0d57f387e9.jpg

Today

Conditioning
Stationary bike: 45 minutes

Shoulder corrective stuff
Wall angels
DB cuban rotations
Band IYTs
Wall pec stretches
Some power snatches up to 35kg (haha)

Notes

Since I have upped the volume and effort on benching I've felt my shoulders have rotated a bit, so I have decided to up the corrective stuff. I don't think normal rowing type motions that emphasize scapular retraction are what I need- I think I need stuff that rotates them on the saggital plane (I think I have that right, I get those mixed up). Anyway, I did a few things. I finished off with a few light power snatches, and these made my shoulders feel like I think they ought to feel. Maybe I can just do these, a bit heavier and a bit more volume- they are more fun than the other stuff.

Arsebiscuits

Front squat
20kg x5
40kg x3
60kg x3
70kg x2
80kg x1
90kg x1
100kg x1
110kg x3
110kg x3
110kg x3
110kg x3
110kg x3
110kg x3
110kg x3

Bench press
20kg x10
40kg x5
60kg x3
70kg x2
80kg x1
88kg x3
88kg x3
88kg x3
88kg x3
60kg x10
60kg x10
60kg x10

Inverted rows
Feet on bench-
BW x10
BW x10
BW x10
BW x10
BW x10
BW x10
BW x10

Notes

Not a great session. Front squats were harder than last time, I felt like the third rep was pretty hard and pretty shitty. Even walking it out and going down with it was a bit harder than normal. Bench was also harder than last time. Plus, the session just took ages and I didn't have time to do all the benching I wanted to. All round, it sucked a bit.

Not sure if there was any reason for the suckage. I didn't eat much today prior to the gym (yoghurt with a little muesli and some grapes for breakfast, protein shake, a salmon salad for lunch), and in general I've been cutting down my intake a bit over the last two weeks. So probably a few days of deficit and I might have lost a teeny bit of weight. Quite possibly not completely recovered from the exertions of the weekend too- they were pretty big sessions. Oh well. A few so-so sessions are soon lost in the sands of time.

I've been running up that road

Conditioning: incline treadmill walk, 46 minutes, 5.6kmph/9% incline

That was okay- got a good sweat on.

Things are going decently in the gym at the moment. However I am going to be traveling quite a lot from the beginning of next week until the end of the month. On Monday I head to Beirut, and will stay there a week. Then back to Turkey for about 3-4 days. Then Jordan for about 12 days. Then home. It *should* be okay as I have the routine of working out in Jordan nailed. The main thing is to get into a gym a couple of times in Beirut. I don't think the hotel I am staying at has a gym, so I will have to find one. Most require long membership- so it's not going to be that easy.

May I request you take some photos of Beirut and perhaps review some restaraunts (if security concerns allow).

In my mind it looks like that awful film Navy SEALS wih Charlie Sheen in - basically a level from Call of Duty. A JauntyReview would be most welcome to correct that viewpoint.

May I request you take some photos of Beirut and perhaps review some restaraunts (if security concerns allow).

In my mind it looks like that awful film Navy SEALS wih Charlie Sheen in - basically a level from Call of Duty. A JauntyReview would be most welcome to correct that viewpoint.

Haha, sure. But your mental image is definitely mistaken. A lot of Beirut is super-swanky and full of rich expats and internationals. And other parts are uber-cool and full of great bars and restaurants. It is famous on the international clubbing scene now, and the French influence means that there is a tonne of stuff that is really stylish.

Crappy workouts

Yesterday
Squats: lots of dicking about checking depth, 2 sets of 3 @110kg, 5 sets of 3 @90kg (full ROM, paused)
Recovery: curls, ab wheel roll-outs
Deadlifts: warmup, 83kg x3, 103kg x3, 113kg x8 (exceeded rep target by 5)

Today
Bench press: 5 sets of 3 @88kg; 5 sets of 5 @83kg
Inverted rows with feet on bench: 10 sets of 10
Conditioning: 50 minutes on stationary bike

Notes

Took some video of my squats. Depth was not there at 110kg. So I did a few and then switched to full, paused front squats. 90kg is very do-able. I probably need to do them like that more, or always maybe. The deadlift was pretty fun.

Today's benching actually went pretty well- I completed all ten sets and none of them were super-hard. Maybe finally making some progress at this weight. Except that I had what felt like a brief acid flashback in between one of the sets. Which is weird as I haven't done acid in almost 20 years. I mean... I've never done acid. Huh. For some reason, I've been physically very flat this weekend. For a few days now I guess. But whatever it was undermined my motivation even more. So I did my conditioning, went to pick up a new suit I bought yesterday, then went home.

Back