• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Strength in Interesting Places IV: I'm too sexy for these logs

Look at the volume! (Right, @MilkManUK)

Front squat
20kg x5
40kg x5
60kg x3
70kg x2
80kg x1
90kg x1
100kg x1
102.5kg x1
107.5kg x2 <= PR! A real, actual PR
107.5kg x2
107.5kg x2
107.5kg x2
107.5kg x2
107.5kg x2
107.5kg x2
107.5kg x2

Bench press
20kg x5
40kg x5
60kg x3
80kg x1, x1
87.5kg x3 <= Not an actual PR, but the heaviest triple in 4-5 years, I think
82.5kg x5
82.5kg x5
82.5kg x5
82.5kg x5
55kg x10
55kg x10
55kg x10
(Sets of 20 machine reverse flies between sets of bench)

EZ-bar preacher curl
Bar x10
20kg x5
30kg x3
35kg x10
35kg x10
35kg x10

Notes

Front squat PR! A real one- not "highest in ages" or "highest since I have been this bodyweight". Just a PR. And it was easy. Woo! With bench, I wasn't quite ready for heavier weights, what I really need is more work at the current weight but I forgot my ankle weights. But it was pretty solid nonetheless. Progress.

Ha, I actually prefer it laid out like this (of course I would) and it's how mine is written out in my physical training log, so I just transfer it like for like onto my Sherdog log.

Congrats on the front squat PR, bench seems to be coming along nicely too.

Ha, I actually prefer it laid out like this (of course I would) and it's how mine is written out in my physical training log, so I just transfer it like for like onto my Sherdog log.

Yep, it's actually how I wrote it when I had a physical log. And I used to write stuff like this too. I think I got self-conscious about how light all my lifts are and felt it was weird to stretch out all this information saying that I am basically lifting ankle weights.

Congrats on the front squat PR, bench seems to be coming along nicely too.

Cheers, Cardinal Bro-an Williams, former leader of the Roman Catholic Church in England.

I think bench is coming along. I've been heavier before, but the last time or two I ended up rushing it and hitting a plateau. I am hoping that this time I am building a better base for it and I will go past the plateau. I've been able to lift without injuries for a year now and have been reasonably consistent, and I feel like I have figured out a few things too. I feel like I've pretty much dicked about for all but about 18 months of the 7 years I've been lifting, but anyway- what matters is the future.

Update

Back in Turkey! Going to be here for a couple of weeks, then I think I will go to Jordan for 2-3 weeks.

Had a nice time in Thailand, but drinking much too much, and the conditioning stuff fell off too. For no good reason really. Now I need to apply myself again, look after my diet and keep lifting consistently.

will.jpg

A while ago I dated a girl who had to get some blood tests done as part of her residency application. She turned out to be Hep A positive, which was a bit of a kicker as it meant that if the virus was active, chances are I would have gotten it from her too. So there was a week worth of time where I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to fight again. So, can kinda relate I guess. Here's to clean blood tests!

Being Hep A positive is likely due to being exposed at some point in her life (spread fecal/oral and not with sexy sexy) and she's built the immunity to it. +Titre is likely a good thing, since its more of an acute infection. Means she's immune. So you can go to Mexico and feed her all the raw green salads off the street you want. Except she might get the shits or typhoid, but no HepA

Being Hep A positive is likely due to being exposed at some point in her life (spread fecal/oral and not with sexy sexy) and she's built the immunity to it. +Titre is likely a good thing, since its more of an acute infection. Means she's immune. So you can go to Mexico and feed her all the raw green salads off the street you want. Except she might get the shits or typhoid, but no HepA

Or to put it another way:

[yt]

I did a lift

Front squat
20kg x5
40kg x5
60kg x3
80kg x2
90kg x1
100kg x1
108kg x3 (<<< PR! Wooh!)
108kg x3
108kg x3
108kg x3
108kg x3

Hang power cleans
20kg x3
30kg x3
40kg x3
50kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3

Notes

Alright, so, only .5kg more than last time on the front squat, but for 3 reps not 2. So I'll take it. And they were pretty good- not skimping on the depth at all. I realized when I was doing them that the limiting factor is probably staying upright, not my leg strength- at proper depth I start come forward quite a bit. I don't think it's strictly technique, I think I'm just not yet strong enough. But anyway, they were good. Still had a bit left in the tank. I will do 8x3 no problem on Saturday. Given how smooth it's feeling, I may just move on up another weight after that.

Hang power cleans... hmmm. These may have sucked slightly less than normal. I had been doing heavier work from the ground, but for some reason these seem like the thing to do right now. I liked doing 8 sets of 3. Overall the session took more time than normal, but it felt like I did an okay amount of work.

Looking forward to benching tomorrow.

Oh what a night- late September back in '63

Bench press
20kg x5
40kg x5
60kg x3
70kg x2
80kg x1
85k kg x1
88kg x3 <<<=== "what have you done for me lately?" 3RM
88kg x3
88kg x3
88kg x3
88kg x3
88kg x1
60kg x10
60kg x10
60kg x10
60kg x10
60kg x10
(Sets of 10 BW inverted rows with feet on bench between sets)

Notes

Once again I forgot my ankle weights so rather than going back down to 85 I opted for lulz and went up a smidge. Last time out I did one triple at this weight but more didn't seem feasible so I backed off a good bit and did 5x5. This time a fractionally heavier triple actually went up reasonably well so I ended up doing five of 'em. That's the heaviest triple I have done in a good long while, and I did a few, so I was pleased. I actually started going for a sixth set thinking I might get to 8, them my arms just told me to fuck off. So I did some backoff sets. Arms feel pretty beaten up, but I was pretty satisfied.

I also picked up last month's living money (money for food, travel, incidental expenses and so on) just before the gym: pretty much a thousand dollars on the nose. So with all that money threatening to burn a hole in my wallet, and my arms tired, I didn't make it a long one. I went off to the big supermarket to buy some food and some nice bottles of wine. Can I just say that the living money thing is pretty good? It really does cover all my normal expenses, and I live rent free here, so I can spend pretty much zero and keep 100% of my salary for taking hot girls on holiday and buying Pokemon cards.

Bar go down, bar go up. Sometimes.

Front squat
20kg x5
40kg x5
60kg x3
80kg x2
90kg x1
100kg x1
107.5kg x3
107.5kg x3
107.5kg x3
107.5kg x3
107.5kg x3
107.5kg x3
107.5kg x3
107.5kg x3 <<<=== volume PR, I guess?

Bench press
20kg x10
40kg x5
60kg x3
80kg x1
88kg x3
88kg x3
88kg x3
88kg x3
88kg x3

Chins
BW x8
BW x8
BW x8
BW x8
BW x8
BW x8
BW x8

Standing unilateral landmine press
Each side-
20kg x10
30kg x5
40kg x3
46.5kg x10
46.5kg x10
46.5kg x10
46.5kg x10
46.5kg x10

BB curls
20kg x10
20kg x10
30kg x10
30kg x10
30kg x10
30kg x10
30kg x10

Notes

Front squat was good. First time doing the full 8x3 apparently. I'm probably ready to move to 110kg. So I guess I will.

Bench... hmm... this is still heavy. Not really any easier than last time out. Oh well, that sometimes happens. I would imagine that it will be easier next time. For the mid-week session I will see if I can get a set or two more at 88, and do a good amount of backoff volume.

Other stuff was awesome, of course.

f49 musicbox

I went to a bar I like in Istanbul on Thursday night and they were playing whacky cover versions of modern pop songs- a lot of jazz-type stuff. After a while a cover of "Get Lucky" came on, and I was pretty much laughing out loud at how funny but also good it is. So I spent a while searching on YouTube and eventually tracked it down. Boom:

I did a bit more research and found out that this is the product of a "group" called Postmodern Jukebox. I am not sure if "Group" is the right word. It seems more like a big network or group of collaborators, driven by a guy called Scott Bradlee- I guess he is the one who arranges the songs they are covering to make them go into the new style. They do have some artists they use regularly- some who are in quite a few videos, some in many, some in just one. Some more stuff:

Suffice to say, I love them to bits. I already bought one of their albums and will buy more. I am sure their stuff is piratable, but I want to give them money.

I'm sure I'd posted some Postmodern Jukebox either in here or in the pub before?

Their cover of Radiohead's Creep is brilliant.

Getting in a lot of volume these days, JA.

Nah, it's just because I'm logging every set with a separate line :)

Actually, I guess the volume is up. I've fallen in love with 8 sets of 3, sets across. I can't always get it, but if I do I what I can. And I've been trying to add backoff sets and assistance, at least for pressing. I'm trying to push the assistance a bit, try to do 5x10 with everything at a minimum.

And it feels like it's working- with the front squat I was kind of stalling but since doing this it's just going up nicely and it feels like there is plenty more to come. And bench looks like it's moving too.

I'm sure I'd posted some Postmodern Jukebox either in here or in the pub before?

Their cover of Radiohead's Creep is brilliant.

Maybe in the Pub? I don't remember it from here. I float in and out of the pub so could easily have missed it.

Yeah, the Creep cover is awesome. Definitely one of the better ones.

What are you feelings on Pokemon Go and how do you think it will influence the upcoming pokemon world championship

What are you feelings on Pokemon Go and how do you think it will influence the upcoming pokemon world championship

Very good questions, as always.

Personally, I think Pokemon GO is a wonderful thing. While it's very limited as a game, it's fun. But the main thing is that it gets people out of the house, exploring and doing things. Often, people interact too when they see each other playing. I've seen posts on internet forums from people who said that they never exercise but since GO came out have started walking 10-20km a day, or people who said that they were terrified of social interaction and never left the house, but are now out and about interacting with people all the time.

They have been covering it a lot in the Guardian, and as you can imagine the comments section is full of snooty older people looking down on people who play it. Lots of "It's a child's game, I pity any adult who would waste their time doing such things" and "This is an indication of the poor state of our society". I think it's fun and frivolous, I think it's wonderful that people spend time doing things that are fundamentally a bit silly. Because when you do have time do things like that, it means that your life and society is in pretty good shape. I also think it's notable when that the three countries who have banned it or seem to be thinking about it are not exactly good models- Russia, Iran and Saudi Arabia.

As far as impact on the World Championships go... they compete in the Trading Card Game, the Video Game (the 3DS RPG) and now in Pokken (the fighting game). So it can't directly impact it, although apparently the organizers were worried about floor space/capacity, thinking that the location might be flooded with Pokemon GO players. Since GO came out there's been a big increase in interest in the Trading Card Game. Tonnes of people had a few of the trading cards as a kid, and so GO has reminded them of that and made them interested in trying to play, and then there are people who stopped playing and now want to start. I would imagine that a lot more people will buy the new RPG when it comes out in November, and it will probably help sales of Pokken- although I believe it's only available on the Wii U and that's a bit of a limitation. But anyway, whatever happens I would imagine that there will be quite a lot more people doing all these things, and that should mean more people at the World Championships next year. That will also probably mean bigger prizes and so on. The most popular Trading Card Game, 'Magic: The Gathering' has professional players- if the game grows enough we may get professional Pokemon players in a few years. Which is obviously the best and most noble career one can have, short of being an actual Pokemon trainer.

I used to play Magic back in the day, the world champs at that shit has a $500k cash prize I think. There's levels to this shit.

If you need a handler/cheerleader/head of security for your....Jaunt to the Pokemon world championships, hit me up. Prerequisites include you wearing shades indoors at all times, sipping fine whiskey while playing and destroying the dreams of young players due to your world weariness and better access to resources.

If you need a handler/cheerleader/head of security for your....Jaunt to the Pokemon world championships, hit me up. Prerequisites include you wearing shades indoors at all times, sipping fine whiskey while playing and destroying the dreams of young players due to your world weariness and better access to resources.

You're hired. I think I'll also wear a Miami-Vice type suit (rolled up sleeves, no tie) and always have a five o'clock shadow. Regarding my retinue, I also want to have two Geisha-type girls who carry my cards for me and put them on the table, but otherwise are totally impassive and blank. We'll further pad out the retinue as I become a bigger and bigger star in the world of Pokemon-based e-sports. I guess the anxious/hyperactive manager-type will be the next thing. I really loved Paul Giamatti's portrayal of Jerry Heller in "Straight Outta Compton", we should probably get him.

Exercise

Squats
20kg x5
40kg x5
60kg x3
80kg x2
90kg x1
100kg x1
108kg x3
108kg x3
108kg x3
108kg x3
108kg x3
108kg x3
108kg x3
108kg x3

Power cleans
20kg x3
30kg x3
40kg x3
50kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
65kg x3

Snatch pulls
65kg x2
70kg x2
75kg x2
80kg x1
85kg x1

Notes

Front squatting was fine. I didn't go up to 110kg- I don't want to rush to add weight and end up doing crap reps or getting injured. The attempts at Oly were crappy. Power cleans were not convincing and the attempt to switch to snatch pulls didn't work because my grip kept breaking (it was really hot in the gym (Summer in Turkey, no fan or aircon) and I don't have chalk or Rosin). It was getting kind of late by the time I realized that I was pretty much wasting my time.

Been thinking a lot about starting to deadlift again. I feel like my back is a lot stronger than it used to be, and my back problems over the last couple of years have mainly been caused by running anyway. I might just do straight 5/3/1 deadlifts after front squatting once a week. With the way it's programmed it will be easy for the first few months so I will have time to get used to it.

There are already professional Pokemon Go players via YouTube. Its quite an idea to fund a lifestyle through a game on YouTube. Nintendo stock also doubled but has since corrected some.

Back