Strengh & Conditioning for BJJ

I think this is a good example of where we still need to see more research. I suspect that the traditional idea of S&C at it applies to other sports, including other combat sports, is very different when it comes to BJJ.

There are key differences between grappling with and without the gi, for example, in terms of the relative importance of speed, isometric strength, different types of grip strength, aerobic versus anaerobic energy demands ... Again, there is a lot to learn. Right now MMA conditioning and BJJ conditioning are being widely conflated when there are obvious differences between the two - though that is definitely an improvement over training like wrestlers or like football players or powerlifters ...

So in the meantime, before this research ever ends up being conducted, what do you think the safe bet is?

for me, the one shining upside to being in good shape is that it allows you to roll the whole class, while others rest.
that on its own will make your technique better because of more mat time (assuming you're not just muscling ur way through rounds), ultimately making you better in every way than your opponent.

So in the meantime, before this research ever ends up being conducted, what do you think the safe bet is?

The safe bet is to start with the ideal and work backwards. First of all, realize that the flow of information doesn't go from textbook to application, it goes from application to textbook. Research is based on observation and experimentation. So what I mean is, we might not have the optimal BJJ or MMA S&C plan. We may never have it. But if we can identify attributes that aid performance in BJJ and MMA, we can train those attributes. And if it helps, whether or not it's optimal is less relevant.

I touch on "strength" a little in the second article, and don't want to give too much away here. But let's throw a hypothetical out - Athlete A and Athlete B have the same exact attributes. Skill is the same, aerobic/ anerobic fitness is the same, relative strength (not absolute) is the same. But Athlete A weighs 50 pounds more than Athlete B.

Who will win, and why?

I understand the concept of leverage in BJJ (I understand it in theory more than practice, I'm not very good). And in an ideal world, hopefully technique and patience are all that is needed. But when money, reputation, or safety are on the line (I mean, it was developed as a self-defense solution), why would someone not employ every single advantage they could? I think Saulo himself has said something along the same lines in regards to the difference between practice and competition, though I'll admit it could have been misattributed.

Leo

Ok I'm starting to see what you guys mean with conditioning. What I don't really look eye to eye on is that won't you condition yourself through actually rolling? Ie. build that "power meter" through actually just rolling with your teammates?

What about strength training then? I still firmly believe that you shouldn't need to rely on strength to partake in BJJ. Can anyone provide some instances where extra strength would be helpful?

You will condition yourself primarily through rolling since the majority of your training time should be devoted to this. If you are a recreational BJJ player then frankly this will probably be enough. However, if you partake in competition and sport BJJ S&C training can increase your power meter in ways just rolling cannot.

In terms of conditioning you will not be going at 100% during the duration of a roll, because there will be situations during a roll where pausing and holding position is the best thing to do. However, it is a good tool to have to be capable of going 100% for an entire roll or match. So to achieve to capability of going 100% for an entire match outside conditioning is optimal since you can create a situation where you are exerting maximal effort over an extended period of time. Personally I will do complexes and high intensity interval training in preparation of major tournaments to improve my conditioning. There may be better methods but, this does make a noticeable difference in the amount of hard rolling I can do.

As for the issue of strength. Strength helps. It cannot replace technique, but it can definately augment technique. Every move in BJJ requires apply force in a particular direction and at a particular time. We talk a lot about leverage in BJJ and Helio big contribution to BJJ was supposedly changing the leverage points to require less strength. In purely mechanical terms all levers still require force. If your lever is good enough in may need only a small amount of force to be effective, but being able to apply more force will never make the lever less effective. Having the ability to introduce more force into the system my be unnecessary, but it will never be a bad thing.

There are several aspects to why Strength and Conditioning (S/C) is important in BJJ.

First there is the general physical preparedness required for the sport. You have to be able to move your bodyweight (and often a portion of your opponent's bodyweight) effectively (strength) and efficiently over time (conditioning). I see many people coming into the sport who lack this base level of general physical preparedness. For these people basic S/C training is almost required along with their mat time/technique work to progress in BJJ. This basic level of physical preparedness is something that "any average Joe" should be able to achieve with some time and effort.

Once this base level of physical preparedness is achieved, many people can advance quite well in BJJ concentrating on technique/skill but strength (and size) and conditioning will almost always have benefits. Given equal skill, a bigger stronger competitor will win most of the time (not all of the time) and given equal skill a better conditioned competitor will be able to win more matches (especially in a tournament) than a less conditioned competitor.

Having a skill advantage allows you to compensate or even dominate against a strength/conditioning advantage. How much skill is needed to compensate against how much strength/conditioning is debatable but why not have both skill and strength/conditioning? (and yes there is a trade-off between carrying muscle mass, speed, and "gassing-out" - but that's a discussion for another day)

BJJ uses leverage as a "force multiplier", but there still must be some force applied. (Mathematically, this is expressed by:
M = Fd - where F is the force, d is the distance between the force and the fulcrum, and M is the turning force known as the moment or torque.) The magnitude of torque depends on three quantities: First, the force applied; second, the length of the lever arm connecting the axis to the point of force application; and third, the angle between the two.

In BJJ terms this means I have to be able to manipulate both my body and my opponent's body into the proper positions to gain this mechanical advantage. I have to be able to set up the lever and fulcrum/angle properly (skill) in order to get the maximum output from my applied force (strength).

The stronger I am the more my lever and fulcrum/angle can be less than optimal and still be effective. Most of us know from experience that the perfect technique we just drilled becomes slightly (or significantly) less than perfect when we roll against a fully resisiting opponent. Add in the fatigue factor and we get sloppier still.

As for the argument "isn't rolling enough" to develop my S/C (especially conditioning). It is a good foundation and should definitely be a large component of your S/C.

BUT - it may not be optimal. If I have limited time and energy to be my best at any endeavor, I want to "optimize" my training program. I can get stronger/more explosive by specifically coordinating my resistance training; and get a bigger "gas tank" by specifically coordinating external cardio with my rolling than I can achieve just by rolling alone.

(Final thought - Leo's observations on injury prevention alone should make S/C a part of every athlete's training)

Peace,
Zen Mojo
zenmojobjj.blogspot.com/

Personally, cardiac/aerobic capacity.

The one place where just about every grappler or jiu jitsu artist can improve is in cardiac capacity. This is what allows you to train forever and maintain a high quality technical level even on your 7th or 8th roll of the day.

I've never run into anyone who I thought was "too weak" for jiu jitsu. I've met plenty of people who didn't have the gas to do in the tenth minute what they were able to do in the second.

For this, I'm in the camp of Joel Jamison of 8 Weeks Out. Aerobic conditioning is the foundation upon which everything else worthwhile is built when it comes to combat sport conditioning.

One current obsession that I'm very skeptical of, though, is the cult of explosiveness. This again is where the "bleeding over" of MMA conditioning and even "grappling" conditioning into jiu jitsu conditioning may be misplaced.

For one, jiu jitsu at its most essential is a game of small discreet movements. I'm not sure how high "explosiveness" ranks in this world.

For two, jiu jitsu in the gi negates a lot of what is typically thought of as the explosive "edge". In fact, trying to "explode" out of a lot of bad situtations (grips, positions, etc.) in jiu jitsu often gets you (a) in a worse position, (b) injured, or (c) submitted.

MMA, no gi grappling and jiu jitsu are obviously related. But there are major differences that will have to be accounted for if we are to really develop "jiu jitsu" conditioning.

Back