StRatoCastR's guide on how to Wrap

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
Ok so lately Ive been getting some PMs asking about elastic laces which I made a guide to, I just bumped that up so it should be at the top again.

Now Ive been getting questions on how to wrap. Some are as follows:

- StRato you say you never hurt your hands, and wrist, how do you wrap?

- I never wrap my hands but I own Winnings, or "X" glove do I really need to wrap?

- Why is wrapping important? I simply use quick wraps

- What type of wrap should I use?

And there are more questions but these will be the MAIN focus. 1st of all let me outline my dimensions as there are MULTIPLE correct reasons/ways to wrap. I will be covering the way to wrap hands for a small handed fighter, and it works wonderfully for females as well!

My Dimensions of hand:
- 9 Inch circum around the knuckles
- from the base of the palm to the tip of the index finger 7.25 inches
- the base of the middle finger to the tip 3.15 inches
- 7 1/8 inch cicum wrist
- 2.5 inch thumb

Ok let me tell you because I have small hands and a thumb I never wrap the thumb. I have been doing this 5+ years and have never once jammed the thumb, so if you have thumb issues, skip my tutorial as it will NOT work for you.

The Pros of my wrap outline will be wrist stabilization, metacarpal stabilization, knuckle support, and joint stabilization. Further along, you will see that I wrap around the knuckles several times, this is NOT for absorption, this is to simply get your hands butted up against the glove and make a nice solid connection inside the glove.

WRAPS DONT ABSORB SHOCK, THAT IS THE GLOVES DUTY!

The big Con will be I do NOT wrap the thumb.

I prefer to use Mexican style wraps, in short they are not the 100% cloth type but mine rather have some elastic blended in. I like the 50-50 blend so I use Everlast, they can only be bought from Title, not directly from Everlast. I state this because the ones from Everlast feel weird now as they did change their formula. Anyhow, whatever wrap you do decide to use, simply need 180s. If you go larger its fine too but you will need to "Burn" off the excess wrap either around the knuckles or the wrist area.

Tools needed:
180" Wraps
Hands

Step 1:
xsvt.jpg

Place the Thumb Loop around your thumb

Step 2:
ecdn.jpg

Wrap UNDER the wrist so that the wrap is laying in front of you and drapes toward the thumb. (snug not tight)

Step 3:
ir6m.jpg

Wrap the same way as step 2, but offset it a little as shown--so around and under the wrist with the wrap draping towards the thumb (snug not tight)

Step 4:
pnwd.jpg

Go under the wrist to the Meaty part of the hand, form a slant and go between your index and thumb (snug not tight)

Step 5:
wid1.jpg

From the thumb/index finger, go directly across the palm to form a bar, the wrap comes out near the pinky, form another slant to the BASE of the thumb.
This forms a "X" other wise known as the X-factor which keeps all your metacarpals lined up correctly. Again snug not tight!

Step 6:
6y7k.jpg

Now, we are doing step 4 again, so from the base of the thumb, go under the wrist to the meaty part of the hand to the index and thumb area forming another slant. Offset it as shown.

Last edited:
Step 7:
st2w.jpg

From the index/thumb go across the palm once more to the pinky, this time go directly over the knuckles to form a bar.

Step 8:
09cb.jpg

Flip your hand over so your palm is facing you, grab and pinch the wrap feeding thru your pinky and ring finger region, do NOT bunch the wrap up.

Step 9:
f2y9.jpg

Flip your hand back over and ensure the wrap sits flat and feed it to the base of the thumb
The wrap shouldn't feel tight, wiggle your fingers and hand and always make sure the wrap is nice and flat at all times.

Step 10:
i0y0.jpg

Now like step 9 same thing except we are feeding it between the middle and ring finger, again make sure the wrap sits flat and its not too tight!

Step 11:
4wou.jpg

Same as 9 and 10 but this time between the index and middle finger.

Last edited:
Step 12:
e1mw.jpg

From the base of the thumb, take the wrap, go under the wrist to the meaty part of your hand thru the index and thumb area forming another slant and making your wrap all nice and neat

Step 13:
mjgx.jpg

From the Index/Thumb make a bar across the palm to the pinky, and another bar across the knuckles.
Your wrap should start to look nice and neat and more like a wrap now!

Step 14:
scfp.jpg

Repeat step 13! Do this 3-4 times--ensure you wrap directly across the knuckles each time but try to offset the wrap just a little , wiggle your fingers to ensure it isn't too tight!

Step 15:
7nou.jpg

Go from the thumb/index finger to make a bar across the palm, to the pinky. From the pinky form a slant to the base of the thumb.

Last edited:
Step 16:
e40i.jpg

go under and around your wrist, then go around and around to the very start of your forearm as shown. Snug it up! almost done!

Step 17:
cf99.jpg
39wd.jpg

Go in reverse order around, and around until you finish your wrap around the wrist. The closure should finish directly over your wrist, if you have excess just go around some more but always make sure the closure finishes
directly over the wrist. I like for the final loop around the wrist to actually be tight.

Finished:
rlcx.jpg
ji66.jpg

Last edited:
Finished and completed!
Let me know if there are any questions!

Last edited:
Hey Strat, have you tried going over the wrist instead of under for the initial move?
That way when you make a fist the wraps get tighter instead of looser.

that's the whole reason I go under the wrist, if you do the 1st two steps you notice when you make a fist if the thumb loop is positioned correctly it WILL pull forward cinching up the wrap.

If I go over the wrist, the wrap just stays put and nothing happens

i wrap almost exactly the same way except in the opposite direction. that is, in your pictures for your left hand you come over the wrist/knuckles in a pinky to thumb direction, i go thumb to pinky.

That's cool Dat! Do you wrap your thumb at all?

Nice. Personally I don't wrap between fingers, it gives me knuckle pain when I punch because the wrap gets tangled up over the knuckles, it's not an even surface anymore. Instead I use a bunch of layers over the knuckles to cushion the blows a little. Other than that I focus on the back of the hand and the wrist. Thumb is kind of useless, I find it impossible to twist or break your thumb if you have decent gloves.

Try this with your heritage wraps, or any wraps longer then 200".

1) same start as yours

wvKZLnx.jpg

2) deviation from your steps 9-11 to acquire the X-support

0WEwYwE.jpg

D41WEEl.jpg

UQodIW4.jpg

3) 4x around the thumb

B3cv3kr.jpg

4) wrapping process complete

W2fjSzK.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Personally I don't wrap between fingers, it gives me knuckle pain when I punch because the wrap gets tangled up over the knuckles, it's not an even surface anymore. Instead I use a bunch of layers over the knuckles to cushion the blows a little. Other than that I focus on the back of the hand and the wrist. Thumb is kind of useless, I find it impossible to twist or break your thumb if you have decent gloves.

Yeah totally agree, I tried taping my thumb, it just made my thumb tired.

@nomilk

Yeah Ill have to try it minus the thumb part, Ive tried thumb taping just makes my thumb stiff and tired

Nice guide.

I never wrap my thumbs either, Never had an issue.

Nice guide.

I never wrap my thumbs either, Never had an issue.

I do it mostly because I like how it feels in the glove, a wrapped thumb that is. The only times I really hurt my thumb is blocking a kick or having poor knuckle placement.

Guess everyone's different, but for me unless I go over the wrist it won't tighten.
This is how I wrap my hands, minus the thumbs (if I'm using a glove with thumb locks) and padding:

[YT]MopTd5-xTZE[/YT]

If I go over the wrist, the wrap just stays put and nothing happens

Back