StRatoCastR's guide on how to Wrap

Yeah stitch has a solid wrapping technique for sure! I don't question him one bit hehe guy knows what he's doing for sure! But for me the thumb wrapping feels awkward, stiff, and feels un-needed.

I have always wrapped my thumbs but have never really thought it did anything, maybe I will give it a try without wrapping the thumbs

Yeah Bryan try whatever works. This tutorial was mainly for people that didn't know how to wrap. Not really convince the guys to switch over.

Play with it if you want Bryan but you way is prolly good bro :)

Yeah Bryan try whatever works. This tutorial was mainly for people that didn't know how to wrap. Not really convince the guys to switch over.

Play with it if you want Bryan but you way is prolly good bro :)

well it hasn't happened much, but a few times I have had my thumb go numb, lol.

Really annoying, but it is very rare

Yeah I had the same thing or my thumb would be too stiff and it would get tired lol. I prefer the thumbless wrap.

I am going to play with around with it the rest of the week. I always use attached thumbs on my gloves anyways

Hey Strat, have you tried going over the wrist instead of under for the initial move?
That way when you make a fist the wraps get tighter instead of looser.

every-time you make a fist it tightens the wrap.

I've always gone around my thumb, not so much fro the thumb itself but to lock it in to prevent a scaphoid injury. Especially on a body shot that lands on the opponent's elbow:)

The wrist will be protected with the initial wrist wrapping and the finalized wrist wrapping though.

indeed it will. But for some reason whatever position the wrap puts my thumb in, that area feels more secure with my thumb wrapped. :)

Does anyone start with a bundle over the knuckles? I learnt it from Thailand. The gyms I've been to out there mostly wrap the same way with slight variations, ignoring the thumb loop, starting with a bundle at the knuckles. I really like this method as I feel more of a connection with my knuckles when landing a punch.

Your talking about doing ribboning over the knuckles?

Your talking about doing ribboning over the knuckles?

I don't know what ribboning is?

The method I learnt was to start by measuring 3-4 inches of the wrap, folding it round and round 4-5 times so you kind of make a knuckle guard out of the start of your wrap. It's pretty late in London at the moment, not sure how well I've explained it but it's the best I can do when I'm half asleep. Anyway once you create the "bundle" you hold it over your knuckles and wrap it a few times to secure then proceed as normal.

Ah okay it is a different process than a bundle. Ribboning is you use excess wrap across the knuckle area but it rests in a zig zag formation.

Do you know if the "bundle" method is just a Thai thing? My trainer in UK taught me to wrap very similar to your method but when I went to training camps in Thailand they were quite insistant on wrapping their way which at the time was all new to me.

nah I don't think its a thai thing, but I don't know who originated it either.

Back