Stop calling me a f***ing casual!

If you don't have a join date prior to when Sherdog was created, you are a casual.
If you have never heard of "Rickson by armbar" you are a casual.
If you think Brock Lesnar was the best HW of all time, you are a casual.
If you never heard of Matt Hughes, you are a casual.
If...

In my mind, "hardcore" has become the derogatory term, especially within the UFC context. It's essentially synonymous with someone who lives in their parents' basement and watches every card front to back, regardless of whether uncle Dana has put together a quality product. Whereas a "casual" is someone who actually has things to do, has priorities outside of watching mma, and is a discerning consumer.

There was a time where "hardcore" meant that you knew the sport, understood the techniques, and maybe even trained a bit. That's not what it means anymore. At this point, I'll happily classify myself as a casual.

A fight fan that doesent want to miss a thing, but still, bellator is the superior card tommorow.
I agree that AJ vs Pitbull is a better card than the UFC card tommorow. Most UFC cards these days IMO.

Came here to call this guy a filthy casual but my sherbros are already on the job

<RomeroSalute>

Let's free ourselves from our respective preconceived biases and prejudices and attempt to lay our full objective hand out on the table.

Pertaining to MMA, what fundamentally constitutes that someone is defined as a "casual" spectator of the sport. Is it strictly a knowledge based reasoning, or is there a repetitive engagement threshold one must surpass in order to lift themselves from this title?

Does such a term even hold any tangible worth anymore? In both being a derogatory remark and also where it becomes self-reflecting concept i.e. aren't we all casuals if we engage, understand and enjoy the same common elements together? Relative to the current popularity of the sport, where can the this line be drawn between how we define sections/demographics of the fan base.

Perhaps we should approach with more caution before we choose to declare someone as a "casual". Let's at least lay claim to a general consensus on definition before we wield it within our arsenal.
Your university degree has clearly payed dividends. Were you one of the insane undergrads that enjoyed writing essays?

In my mind, "hardcore" has become the derogatory term, especially within the UFC context. It's essentially synonymous with someone who lives in their parents' basement and watches every card front to back, regardless of whether uncle Dana has put together a quality product. Whereas a "casual" is someone who actually has things to do, has priorities outside of watching mma, and is a discerning consumer.

There was a time where "hardcore" meant that you knew the sport, understood the techniques, and maybe even trained a bit. That's not what it means anymore. At this point, I'll happily classify myself as a casual.

Interesting take. I guess both definitions have a good case of being altered somewhat due to the increased popularity of the sport.

Hardcore is when you pass up on sex with a new partner to watch an event.
Or watch MMA while on the job.
Some might say you need at least amateur fighting experience to not be considered a casual.
Being either casual or hardcore are fine in my book.

Hardcore is when you pass up on sex with a new partner to watch an event.
Or watch MMA while on the job.
Some might say you need at least amateur fighting experience to not be considered a casual.
Being either casual or hardcore are fine in my book.
Or stay up until 4am for Japan MMA, back when shit was fun, and Japanese

Let's free ourselves from our respective preconceived biases and prejudices and attempt to lay our full objective hand out on the table.

Pertaining to MMA, what fundamentally constitutes that someone is defined as a "casual" spectator of the sport. Is it strictly a knowledge based reasoning, or is there a repetitive engagement threshold one must surpass in order to lift themselves from this title?

Does such a term even hold any tangible worth anymore? In both being a derogatory remark and also where it becomes a self-reflecting concept i.e. aren't we all casuals if we engage, understand and enjoy the same common elements together? Relative to the current popularity of the sport, where can the this line be drawn between how we define sections/demographics of the fan base.

Perhaps we should approach with more caution before we choose to declare someone as a "casual". Let's at least lay claim to a general consensus on definition before we wield it within our arsenal.
I never found it derogatory. Or at least since I couldn't give two fucks being called the word.
Everyone's a casual at anything at one point in their lives. Someone calling somebody that is more a reflection of their pitiful self-worth than yours.

Dude who cares lol. It's all about the perspective of the person using the term. Because I'm such an avid follower I would consider someone who follows it way less then me (99.9% of fans) casual, but I don't see it as an insult or bad thing. I don't really use it on here because of that.

If you don't have a join date prior to when Sherdog was created, you are a casual.
If you have never heard of "Rickson by armbar" you are a casual.
If you think Brock Lesnar was the best HW of all time, you are a casual.
If you never heard of Matt Hughes, you are a casual.
If...

If you didn't witness BTT vs Chute Boxe...you might be a casual.

If you don't remember Yuji Shimada tapping nuts during staredowns, while delivering the most epic ref cam of all time...you might be a casual

Dude who cares lol. It's all about the perspective of the person using the term. Because I'm such an avid follower I would consider someone who follows it way less then me (99.9% of fans) casual, but I don't see it as an insult or bad thing. I don't really use it on here because of that.

I beg to differ, @TP4iR accomplished that feat no more than an hour ago.

He'll throw casual around giving zero fucks.

Back