Stop calling me a f***ing casual!

Darius0995

I'd rather be a blind moth.
@purple
Reaction score
Let's free ourselves from our respective preconceived biases and prejudices and attempt to lay our full objective hand out on the table.

Pertaining to MMA, what fundamentally constitutes that someone is defined as a "casual" spectator of the sport. Is it strictly a knowledge based reasoning, or is there a repetitive engagement threshold one must surpass in order to lift themselves from this title?

Does such a term even hold any tangible worth anymore? In both being a derogatory remark and also where it becomes a self-reflecting concept i.e. aren't we all casuals if we engage, understand and enjoy the same common elements together? Relative to the current popularity of the sport, where can the this line be drawn between how we define sections/demographics of the fan base.

Perhaps we should approach with more caution before we choose to declare someone as a "casual". Let's at least lay claim to a general consensus on definition before we wield it within our arsenal.

Last edited:
Let's do a test, if you watch ufc fight night instead of Bellator 263 tommorow, you're indeed a casual.
I'll watch both at the same time with my 4 massively hench hardcore eyes thank you very much
9hwH1ii.gif

Some red flags:
You use common casual talking points, like judging the condition of a fighter's face, you hate "hugging", you describe an RNC as "choked out", you think it's still "style vs style", as if fighters aren't coming into the match having rolled and struck pads for weeks prior. You boo when fighters lose by doctor's stoppage, you think a fight was stopped early when a fighter recovers immediately after his opponent stops striking.

Course these are things that "flag" a potential casual fan. You won't know for sure unless you see more out of them. An evidence-based approach to determining whether a suspected casual is a definite case will involve closer examination and is usually impractical.

f***ing casual!

Back