Stipe has a chance in this fight

Shay Brennan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
During his LHW run Jon has struggled against opponents that were the same height as he and who had good boxing - Gustafsson and Reyes.

Jones has no power in his punches now, he never had it at LHW either.

For those that are saying that Stipe has no chance because of that knockout to Ngannou: That was 3 years ago. 1 year is usually enough to refresh a fighters chin.
In the first Cormier fight Stipe got KOed easily because he took a lot of damage in the fight prior to that one and that is the first Ngannou fight.
Then Stipe took a year off and fought DC the second time. In that fight he took a record number of head strikes without ever being wobbled and he ate the same strike from the clinch that knocked him out in the first fight.

Jones has 0 true experience fighting at HW. Sure there was that Gane fight, but let's be real: Gane has no ground game and Jon exploited that. Nothing impressive.
He has 0 experience taking heavy shots from true elite HW fighters. He has never gone past 1 round as a HW.

If this fight happens in November, Stipe will be 42 years and 2 months old. That is the same age Glover Teixeira won the LHW belt. And that's from a division bellow, where longevity is shorter.

Stipe will have a big advantage in boxing and power, that's obvious.

As for the wrestling, Jones couldn't hold down Reyes and Gus in their first fight because his phyisical advantages weren't there like in most of his fights.
Stipe went 2 for 2 on takedowns with DC who was a proven and undefeated HW. So, he should be able to compete with Jones there as well.

If Stipe is anything like when he fought DC and Ngannou the second time, he will make this a competitive fight and even win.

It would've been good if this fight happened 5 years ago, but Jon was scared of fighting DC and Miocic then.

During his LHW run Jon has struggled against opponents that were the same height as he and who had good boxing - Gustafsson and Reyes.

For those that are saying that Stipe has no chance because of that knockout to Ngannou: That was 3 years ago. 1 year is usually enough to refresh a fighters chin.
In the first Cormier fight Stipe got KOed easily because he took a lot of damage in the fight prior to that one and that is the first Ngannou fight.
Then Stipe took a year off and fought DC the second time. In that fight he took a record number of head strikes without ever being wobbled and he ate the same strike from the clinch that knocked him out in the first fight.

Jones has 0 true experience fighting at HW. Sure there was that Gane fight, but let's be real: Gane has no ground game and Jon exploited that. Nothing impressive.
He has 0 experience taking heavy shots from true elite HW fighters. He has never gone past 1 round as a HW.

If this fight happens in November, Stipe will be 42 years and 2 months old. That is the same age Glover Teixeira won the LHW belt. And that's from a division bellow, where longevity is shorter.

As for the wrestling, Jones couldn't hold down Reyes and Gus in their first fight because his phyisical advantages weren't there like in most of his fights.
Stipe went 2 for 2 on takedowns with DC who was a proven and undefeated HW. So, he should be able to compete with Jones there as well.

If Stipe is anything like when he fought DC and Ngannou the second time, he will make this a competitive fight and even win.

It would've been good if this fight happened 5 years ago, but Jon was scared of fighting DC and Miocic then.
This is HW so Stipe definitely has a good puncher's chance.

Stipe still has that old man strength while Jon is no spring chicken. If Stipe lands a clean one like Gus did it could be all over

MG8-CQT607-Kcva2-VLryks3n-Si-QTsh-9o-N8-IAss-Ax-XGpg.jpg

Who cares, they are both out of their prime. The fight means nothing.

It's a fight that's as important as Paul vs. Tyson.

And Paul vs. Tyson is definitely the bigger fight.

As I'm Danish, I'm following danish media. And Tyson-Paul is way bigger than Jones-Stipe here, talking about media coverage.

I too find it odd that people have been counting the time off + the knockout as purely additive strikes against him, without realizing that the first offsets the effects of the second. And a hell of a lot of other fighters have been knocked out by Ngannou without alarmists wringing their hands for the fate of his victims' chins. Anybody thinking Rozenstruick was permanently cracked, for example?

I don't think people are picking Jones because "Jones so good"

I think it is more "Stipe old as fuck and looked shot 3 years ago, last seen walking like grandpa got a hip replacement."

I saw that clip before seeing the reactions people had to it. To me he had seemed the usual bowlegged Stipe, swaggering in tight pants. I still can't understand how you guys interpret it as evidence of a physical deterioration so severe that it would have invalided him out of his firefighting job if true.

Stipe always has a shot and Jones' lack of power is going to make Stipe a little more confident while striking.
This is a hard one to pick. Jones wouldn't be pushing for this if he thought it was an even matchup. Just not the way he's worked in the past. Stipe is always game though. DC struggled to wrestle him and HW DC was a stronger grappler than LHW.

Yeah, I wouldn't count Stipe out. Hard to say what Stipe shows up. The fact that Ngannou knocked him out doesn't mean Jones is going to ragdoll him on the ground, something that doesn't really happen to Stipe. And I don't expect Jon to knock him out.

When was the last time that guy fought, much less won? I can’t imagine he has more than a 15% chance in this fight.

I think a lot of people are forgetting who Stipe is... was... & still could be.

If you're writing Stipe off because you think he's too old to perform at his peak, then there's a chance that you might have a point... but there's also a chance that you might not be correct in that... & if you're not, then Jones is in for the fight of his life!

We don't really know where he'z at, but if he's anywhere near top form, then he is one hell of a matchup for Jonez. Think of teh thread title "prime Jones vs prime Stipe." Take a moment to consider that we may actually be getting that... or something close to that given a bit of time off & possible age that HW are not so prone too as other divisionz.

Stipe's been dormant due to getting a bionic eyeball replaced after DC did un-authorized operation on him, but if you think Stipe'z just going to lay down & die, then you don't know who teh fook you're talking about.

I waz one of teh few who waz hyped on Stipe long before he became champ. Here'z a post of me basically dictating exactly how his first fight with Ngannou would play out, but I was a fan long before that. It was sweet watching his rise.

Point being, that this is an AMAZING matchup!!! So please recognize.

Personally, I look at anyone who doesn't see "it's an amazing matchoop"... as a casual.
<Neil01>

Last edited:
Damn @Myrddin Wild you almost had me picking against my boy there, we need more of your insight on this forum. But when it's all said and done, there will be one victor standing tall with the one true HW title and that is Jonny Bones Jones.

I actually agree. I think Stipe has a very good chance of winning this fight. I think Jones is going to be a little bigger than Stipe fight night and will have a slight edge grappling-wise, but if Stipe can keep it standing for a while, I like his chances.

Damn @Myrddin Wild you almost had me picking against my boy there, we need more of your insight on this forum. But when it's all said and done, there will be one victor standing tall with the one true HW title and that is Jonny Bones Jones.
I got so much love for you my brotheh, that I won't hold your blind pick against you. :cool:<lol><lol>:cool:
Qui Gon Groovy Jones Avi for Haj 2.jpg

LMAO <lmao><lol><lol><lmao>
For sure it's Stipe'z greatest challenge. I'm not even sure who's going to win.

I'm absolutely in love with this matchup though, & see it as the greatest test either man has been subject too. That's saying a lot.

I find it very demoralizing how many people under-estimate how important this fight is to happen. I will concede that it would've been BEST... at an earlier date. However, that didn't happen. That said... I am expecting the best of what both men have to offer from where they're at now.

Stipe'z 41 & Jones is 36 yrs old... so if Stipe losez... it's because of age.
bork1}

I have no idea how this fight between Jones and Miocic is going to go for 2 reasons :

1) Miocic will not have fought in 3yrs8months when he fights Jones in NYC. That is a very long time and so I have no idea how he'll look.
2) Jones will have had ONE fight in 4yrs9months when he fights in NYC. Plus he has had only ONE very short fight at Heavyweight and that is not enough to judge how he is at that weight class.

So.... for a giggle I'll probably pick Miocic as I'm sure he'll be the underdog.
OR I'll pick "Fight ends ITD".

Final comment....I'm going to be mildly surprised if these two old men actually make it into the Octagon in New York without either getting any more injuries between now and then. Don't wanna be the Harbinger of Doom but.....it might happen.

Just that a post like this can be made, and make sense, shows how bad this fight is.

I have said it before - I truely hope Stipe makes a fool out of me, the bookies(who gave Stipe less then 20% chance to win at UFC 295), and most of all - Jon who is hoping for an easy fight.

Back